Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think E Rivers is doing great. Just go to The Governor's Office of Student Achievement and check out their report cards and how their diversity is changing.

One of the things that many young parents don't understand is that no matter how great the schools are, there are going to be people who choose private school -- sometimes for religious reasons, sometimes because that is what they did, sometimes because they have doubts about the whole system in GA, etc. These parents have often bought homes without regard to the schools, never even visit the local school and really have no concerns about the local school. I know so many young parents who say that they are worried about such and such school because this person and that neighbor go to private school.

Remember that while schools play a role in property value, if you aren't going to use the schools and you buy in a less desirable district, you usually get more house for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBuKev View Post
I am not sure how much of getting accepted into the Gifted program is based on parents helping to prepare their children versus god-given aptitude but if there's any way any of you can influence your children's likelihood of getting accepted, I would strongly strongly recommend it.
I may have a privileged perspective on this, but I have a top-of-the-class gifted child who I've never coached or "pushed" in any way. In fact, I avoided teaching her to read as a pre-schooler, because I was worried she'd be bored when she got to school, if she could read already. There do seem to be a lot of parents out there who strive hard to groom their children to test out as gifted. I think the right place for your kid is where they are learning at their natural level. By all means, provide your child with enriching experiences. But don't go overboard. If they're really gifted, it will show. If not, it's OK to be normal. Don't over-stress your kids.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 PM

81 posts, read 292,795 times
Point very well taken, Rainy!

Thanks for the link, mom - I have been studying thoroughly. It's amazing how it almost looks like someone has purposely drawn the district maps to achieve certail diversity metrics for their school....there's no reason that Brandon should be so homogenous! I think it would be much better for the system overall if they were to dramatically overhaul the district maps to acheive better diversity in ALL the schools. Maybe it wouldn't be achievable in South Atlanta but on the north side I don't see why not.

Last edited by SoBuKev; 04-04-2008 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 11,934 times
Just joined, but have to say that Decatur public schools are quite good academically. It is a small system but I think they truly try to be responsive to parents' concerns.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM

45 posts, read 213,359 times
Default I'm becoming the "stage mom" I swore I'd never be.

I moved to Georgia a couple of years ago, and I am already getting stressed about where my 3-year old will attend school. I attended public schools until college, and I always thought I would send my daughter to one. The Atlanta metropolitan area has some wonderful schools, but the state isn't known for its great schools, and I'm not certain I'm in one of those pocket areas with the "best" schools.

I have become fixated on finding the right school for my kid, and I think I'll end up going private. I'm thinking of one school in particular, and I am more stressed about this that I was when I applied to college or grad school. It is ridiculous. What's worse is that my kid won't be eligible for 4K until fall 2009!!!

While I am careful not to put pressure on my munchkin, I think obsession is silently creeping up on me. Ugh. I never wanted to be one of those obsessive moms!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur2004 View Post
I moved to Georgia a couple of years ago, and I am already getting stressed about where my 3-year old will attend school. I attended public schools until college, and I always thought I would send my daughter to one. The Atlanta metropolitan area has some wonderful schools, but the state isn't known for its great schools, and I'm not certain I'm in one of those pocket areas with the "best" schools.

I have become fixated on finding the right school for my kid, and I think I'll end up going private. I'm thinking of one school in particular, and I am more stressed about this that I was when I applied to college or grad school. It is ridiculous. What's worse is that my kid won't be eligible for 4K until fall 2009!!!

While I am careful not to put pressure on my munchkin, I think obsession is silently creeping up on me. Ugh. I never wanted to be one of those obsessive moms!
Hey Lemur, you're aware of the risk and attacking the problem by public confession, Just don't do it!

I'm not so sure that the good schools are restricted to hard-to-find "pockets". People on this forum from all over the suburbs and gentrified ITP enthusiastically claim their kids' public schools are excellent - me among them. I think the woeful Georgia schools problem is predominantly a rural problem. If you live in a middle-class area of metro Atlanta, the local schools are likely somewhere in the fine to excellent range.

I'm not saying you shouldn't choose private school if that's what you now want for your child. Just that your earlier idea of sending her to public school is probably a viable option too. And you know it - obsessing over where she gets to go to kindergarten just isn't right. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Good post, Rainy. This advice will be helpful to many.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Lemur

Can you afford private k-12 and then college? If not, you might want to consider where you money will be best spent....

(hint, it isn't on kindergarten)

Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Hello, I'm relocating from Huntsville Alabama. My husband's been unemployed for three months and we are moving because he's got a job in Chamblee. We've found a fabulous house just outside Dunwoody and we're thrilled. From what I understand Kingsley is a great school. My son will be four in May and I want to take advantage of the free pre-K if at all possible because I will be returning to work as well. Does anyone know how it works? Is there a lottery system, and if there is, will we be too late to get in? I plan to call the school to get information, but would love any insider information, especially from parents who have kids at Kingsley.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
I could be wrong, but I think that the Pre-K lottery may have happened a week or two ago. I have heard some rumblings at my preschool, but I am not 100% sure about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta