Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,269,263 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I disagree, too. I know a lady who works at a private school on Ponce (starts with a P but will otherwise remain nameless) and lives in City of Decatur. When her kids were starting school she investigated and found that Decatur City Schools had the same class sizes and curriculum and put her kids in public school. She's happy with her choice.

I'm VERY happy with Mary Lin ES, which is in APS. APS has a bad rep but there are some good schools in there. You just have to really investigate - go to the neighborhood and watch.

At the end of the day it IS the parents, not the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuffman View Post
I know this sounds harsh, but it is true. The best GA public school is below average in Maryland, NY, CT, MA, and other northern cities. I hate to say it b/c I was born in South Carolina and attended public schools there. Even the best SC public schools are not that good.

Now this doesn't mean that your child can't get a good education at GA public school or that your child will get a good education at a private school. There are a lot of factors that go into how well a child learns and does in school - most of which involve parental involvement in their children's learning and school activities.

However, the percentages are more in your favor if you opt for a private school in GA versus a public school.

If you are considering a move to GA from another state with much better public schools, you should factor in the additional cost of putting your child (or children) into private school.
Uh...totally untrue. Everyone on this forum--rhuffman does not what he/she is talking about at all.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Yeah, I disagree, too. I know a lady who works at a private school on Ponce (starts with a P but will otherwise remain nameless) and lives in City of Decatur. When her kids were starting school she investigated and found that Decatur City Schools had the same class sizes and curriculum and put her kids in public school. She's happy with her choice.

I'm VERY happy with Mary Lin ES, which is in APS. APS has a bad rep but there are some good schools in there. You just have to really investigate - go to the neighborhood and watch.

Amen, plessy.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 24,350 times
Default Is there a High School called West Cobb High School?

New to the area, wondering if there is a high school called West Cobb high School.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Howard View Post
New to the area, wondering if there is a high school called West Cobb high School.

No.

But west Cobb County (West Cobb) has several high schools:

Harrison
Kennesaw Mountain
McEachern
Hillgrove
Allatoona (opens August 2008)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 PM

897 posts, read 2,827,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuffman View Post
I know this sounds harsh, but it is true. The best GA public school is below average in Maryland, NY, CT, MA, and other northern cities. I hate to say it b/c I was born in South Carolina and attended public schools there. Even the best SC public schools are not that good.

Now this doesn't mean that your child can't get a good education at GA public school or that your child will get a good education at a private school. There are a lot of factors that go into how well a child learns and does in school - most of which involve parental involvement in their children's learning and school activities.

However, the percentages are more in your favor if you opt for a private school in GA versus a public school.

If you are considering a move to GA from another state with much better public schools, you should factor in the additional cost of putting your child (or children) into private school.
I have to agree...

Our family just recently moved out of the Atlanta area. We had the opportunity for an incredible job promotion that took us North. Being native Southerners, I must say, moving beyond the Mason Dixon line has been a blessing.

I really cannot phathom why so many Northerners are moving South. If you have children, education should play a major factor in your decision to move. Sure the taxes are high, but my children's education is worth the price.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM

11 posts, read 63,981 times
i feel dumb for not looking at this prior to my post, thanks everyone for the info

Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 PM

11 posts, read 63,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

wut does aps stand for

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 AM

Default APS = Atlanta Public Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by klugo1 View Post
wut does aps stand for
Atlanta Public Schools.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,533,325 times
I have always found it interesting that private schools don't publically post thier standardized test scores. There are some that make their average SAT score available but none (at least any of those that I have researched) publish scores for middle or elementary schools. I did read a report from 2003 which if I can find will post a link here that showed virtually no difference (with the exception of public school 8th graders scoring higher than private in mathematics) when you looked at the students from a socio economic perspective. I think the bottom line was students living in upper middle class and upper class neighborhoods and attending the public schools that served those areas and students in private schools had virtually the same skill set.

My thinking has always been if you can afford to live in an area with good public schools you are better off taking those private school funds and putting them away for college. Just my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta