Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times

Advertisements

You're welcome, and glad you found a place that she is very happy with. The Vinings/Cumberland area is really nice and she may really enjoy the restaurants and mall also. It is a very convenient location. My sister lived in the area and she still raves about it to this day. Good for her. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfjr View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write. I am very proud of my daughter. She turns 21 on Sunday and has accomplished so much. We looked at many many apartments and found one, out of many, that she just loves. it is right by the Cumberland Gallerie off of Rt 41. it is a completely refurbished apartment, with 900 Sqft. It is in a secure, gated community, with an alarm in her unit. She overlooks the Chattahoochee. She loves the area because it is much like were we live now. We spent the day yesterday in the area exploring Vinings, and Cumberland, Smyrna. I feel very comfortable with her there. Just to make sure, today we explored midtown, buckhead, atlantic station, and downtown and really, the place she got is the right one for her. maybe after she is out on her own awhile, she will be more comfortable with downtown. There was one offer from a very nice person who had a large apartment but it was 45 minutes away from her work. We talked about it and she said that with her odd work hours she could be driving late at night or in the early hours of the morning after having worked for 12 hours straight and she just thought it was too far, even though the apartment looked wonderful.
She is very very excited. Thanks for your encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
If your daughter is moving out on her own from the suburbs into the city, she need to make an account on city data, and ask these questions herself. This is the problem with young people today their parents do everything for them. ugh.
A loving parent is trying to help their child here. Why criticize that? Thank goodness some parents do care! OP, you might consider contacting ProMove. They can greatly assist in locating an apartment for your daughter.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
epfjr,

Why even bother with these people? They obviously don't know what they are talking about and you are just wasting your time telling them about your daughter and her accomplishments. I have many nurses in my family and I know that nursing school is not easy. Kudos to her.

If she could afford it, I would say Buckhead because she'll be working off hours and coming in in the late evening. You want some place safe. I lived at Bryson Square on 26th street in Buckhead ad it is super safe, gated and there are always people out at night walking their dogs, etc. They offer 1 bedrooms starting at 824 if she could go up just a bit on her budget. If my memory is right, the apartment is all electric and so there might be a savings there on whatever she may have allocated for gas heat (which is more expensive than electric heat).

The residents do like to party on the weekends, however, it is filled with professionals and when I worked downtown, it was perfect. It is very close to Piedmont Hospital. Probably less than a mile away.

I don't know if anyone suggested it, but, if so, I would avoid Atlantic Station. Something about that area does not feel safe at night to me, as a woman. There is alot of traffic, alot of people coming into the area that don't live there and alot of people hanging around bc of all the stores, etc. in the area. I don't recommend that area.

Vinings is nice and quiet. It is safe. Not sure she'll find anything in her price range but if she can, I would say this is likely a good, safe area for her also, and not that far from Piedmont Hospital.

I would say no on locs much further away - unless you and her feel comfortable with her as a single woman driving 35-45 minutes alone at night after work on possibly deserted highways (given her likely work hours). I would say that sets her up as a target bc people do notice over time so just tell her to always be aware of her surroundings and don't turn her back when she gets into her car. I am very familiar with Piedmont Hospital, having had a relative there for three months and visiting almost daily - that parking garage is pretty wide open and fairly deserted at night. She can call the onsite security patrol to take/follow her to her car if she is ever uncomfortable. That is what they are there for and I have used them many times.

Good luck and congrats to her.
And just how is it 'obvious' that no poster but you knows what they're talking about? I think your advice here is fine, but its not in any way superior to others on here that were making an earnest effort to help the OP. Let's try to play nice in the sandbox.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

17 posts, read 21,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
A loving parent is trying to help their child here. Why criticize that? Thank goodness some parents do care! OP, you might consider contacting ProMove. They can greatly assist in locating an apartment for your daughter.
Thanks for your advice. We did go to Promove and it really really really helped. Sean, our agent from Promove was perfect and helped to guide us every step of the way. We got a lot of suggestions here, but your suggestion of Promove was probably the best single bit of advice. Thanks again

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And just how is it 'obvious' that no poster but you knows what they're talking about? I think your advice here is fine, but its not in any way superior to others on here that were making an earnest effort to help the OP. Let's try to play nice in the sandbox.
Actually, we got some great advice from everyone who tried to help and we appreciate it greatly. As of May 1, my daughter will be a resident of Atlanta and is anxious for that day to arrive. She is anxious to become part of the community and begin her new life and occupation. thanks to all who took the time to help with suggestions.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Actually, we got some great advice from everyone who tried to help and we appreciate it greatly. As of May 1, my daughter will be a resident of Atlanta and is anxious for that day to arrive. She is anxious to become part of the community and begin her new life and occupation. thanks to all who took the time to help with suggestions.
Congratulations to your daughter and to you. I know as the parent of three grown women that it's a bittersweet time for you. But there is a unique joy in watching them leave the nest. I'm happy for your family.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Thanks for your advice. We did go to Promove and it really really really helped. Sean, our agent from Promove was perfect and helped to guide us every step of the way. We got a lot of suggestions here, but your suggestion of Promove was probably the best single bit of advice. Thanks again
You are most welcome. My oldest daughter is a freshman in college, and I worry about her constantly! I know how it is to be an anxious father.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Congratulations to your daughter and to you. I know as the parent of three grown women that it's a bittersweet time for you. But there is a unique joy in watching them leave the nest. I'm happy for your family.
Thank you so much and yes, I am happy, proud, sad, energized. We spent a fantastic day today in Decatur and for sure, we will be returning in May when she moves in. I want to have dinner at the Iberian Pig!!!!. Decatur is my kind of town. It reminds me very much of Princeton, NJ. I am looking forward to my return. the only thing I know that I will never get use to, and hope that she does not have too much trouble with is the traffic. I have never seen so many cars just stopped in line in my life- and I live in Philly and travel to NYC, Baltimore, and Washington DC often. Yikes!!!!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Lady/Man, do me a favor and stop replying to my posts. Just ignore them.

You obviously have a knack for coming in on the tail end of things and making comments that are completely misinformed. The OP knew what I was talking about and you don't. Probably bc I wasn't talking to you. My comment about "ppl" that don't know what they are talking about are not ALL of the other posters (which you apparently misunderstood). It was the "ppl" who were dogging him and his daughter bc he was helping his daughter. I was saying, don't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about.

Your sandbox comment is just silly. Just as silly as the stupid bread/Alpharetta analogy about City of Decatur when your own neighbors were pointing out areas in City of Decatur with garages and other aspects that I was looking for.

Just lose my number, please. I beg you. Stop talking to me.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Lady/Man, do me a favor and stop replying to my posts. Just ignore them.

You obviously have a knack for coming in on the tail end of things and making comments that are completely misinformed. The OP knew what I was talking about and you don't. Probably bc I wasn't talking to you. My comment about "ppl" that don't know what they are talking about are not ALL of the other posters (which you apparently misunderstood). It was the "ppl" who were dogging him and his daughter bc he was helping his daughter. I was saying, don't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about.

Your sandbox comment is just silly. Just as silly as the stupid bread/Alpharetta analogy about City of Decatur when your own neighbors were pointing out areas in City of Decatur with garages and other aspects that I was looking for.

Just lose my number, please. I beg you. Stop talking to me.
Is there some new rule that if you post on here you can restrict the responses? Ive been posting here for five years and Im not aware of it. Guess we just have to deal with it.

Last edited by Iconographer; 03-29-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta