Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 31,323 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks for clicking on the post I'm going to be entirely new to the area (Currently reside in Connecticut), but my job is moving me to Alpharetta, GA starting 4/14. I have a wife and 2 dogs moving down with me and wondering about living situations that would work out for us. If all goes as planned, my wife will be working North of the inner loop of Atlanta ... at least I think that's what it is called.

Requirements:

1) Renting a house over an apartment or condo. My dogs are puggles and while I love them to death, a car door slamming miles away seems like a good reason to start barking. I don't want to be that guy with the barking dogs.

2) Due to the dogs I'd like a decent size yard that is fenced in. Getting kind of specific with this one but it would be nice to have so I don't have to fence it in myself. Our current house has 1/3 acre, I'd like to get a little more if possible

3) Looking to spend under $1,500 a month.

4) Like to have 3 BR as well. I can deal with 2 but 3 is optimal.

5) 1200+ sq ft.

Is something like this possible? I'd like to live close to Alpharetta and Atlanta but far enough out that it's a little quieter of a neighborhood and a place where you can wave to your neighbors, sit in your backyard, etc ... We aren't opposed to buying but not sure it's in the cards quite yet. We might spend a year in the area checking it out before making a final decision. I've been told Roswell is nice, that's about all I know so far.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Where exactly will your wife's job be... north of the inner loop covers a lot of territory.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:54 AM

9 posts, read 31,323 times
It's on Abernathy Rd NE near 400.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrash View Post
If all goes as planned, my wife will be working North of the inner loop of Atlanta ... at least I think that's what it is called.
If you're talking about the I-285 Bypass/Loop road around Central Atlanta (which that most definitely sounds like what you are talking about), that road is called the I-285 Perimeter or just is simply called "The Perimeter".

Think of the I-285 Perimeter as Atlanta's version of Washington D.C.'s more famous (or more infamous) I-495 Capital Beltway loop road.

Just as the terms "Inside-the-Beltway" and "Outside-the-Beltway" are used to differentiate between the ivory tower federal government-centered liberal urban political, social and cultural environment inside of the Capital Beltway and the more conservative suburban environment of it in the Washington D.C. area, the terms "Inside-the-Perimeter" (ITP) and "Outside-the-Perimeter" (OTP) are used to differentiate between the much more liberal political, social, and cultural urban environment inside of the I-285 Perimeter and the much more conservative political, social and cultural suburban environment outside of it in the Atlanta metro region and in the state of Georgia.

Since you are looking for a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom detached single-family home on more than 0.33 acres for no more than $1500/monthly, and since you will be working in Alpharetta and your wife will be working in Sandy Springs (at 400 & Abernathy Road), some good places for you to look where you might be in:

...East Cobb County (if you don't mind living in an older home...finding a newer home with that type of acreage for no more than $1500/monthly will likely be a challenge in the East Cobb area because of the exceptionally-high quality of the schools in that area);

..In the areas of Woodstock, Holly Springs and Canton in Cherokee County, and in the area with a Cumming mailing address in West Forsyth County (if you are looking for a newer home)...

...You could also check around in the areas with a Cumming mailing address in North Forsyth County and in the areas with a Dawsonville mailing address in Dawson County if you are looking for something that is a little more semi-rural and farther removed urban and inner-suburban living...

...These are the areas where you probably will be most likely to find a 3-bed, 2-bath detached single-family home on more than 0.3 acres for no more than $1500/monthly within a reasonable commuting distance of you and your wife's jobs in Alpharetta and Sandy Springs.

You should also check around in the areas of Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell and Johns Creek in North Fulton County, and in the areas with Alpharetta, Cumming, and Suwanee mailing addresses in South Forsyth County to see if you might be able to find something that you might like in your price range in areas that are closer within the Northside commuting shed of where you and your wife jobs will be located in Alpharetta and Sandy Springs...

...Though your chances of finding what you are looking for may not necessarily be as high in those areas as they might likely be in the more sparsely-developed outlying areas of Cherokee, West Forsyth, North Forsyth and Dawson counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta