Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 19,839 times

Advertisements

Even if people are abusing the system the amount we spend on individual welfare programs isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to our overall spending.

We could wipe out all government assistance and still be trillions in debt for decades to come.

So I don't know why people are even focusing on this.

Im sorry southern conservatives but the big black mystical welfare queen using food stamps and section 8 to feed and house her kids is not destroying our economy; the Wall Street banker, pentagon, federal bailouts/corporate welfare and central bank are doing it.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,799,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Welfare ain't the problem, folks. Not even close.

Yea I'm aware. It is also why I have no problem putting money towards welfare and taxing the ultra rich to a degree that keeps the skew in equality (as opposed to growing further apart).

However, I still believe our social programs need to work at making people productive.

I also think the disability is important, similar to reasons Arjay pointed out.

You can't lift with your back anymore? Great, let us help you, but you're still a valuable human being. Here is a career counselor that has an array of options we should can help you be trained to do that doesn't require you to lift anything.

In case you can't make as much as you use to, we might be able to provide a small stipend to help, but you won't be able to keep full disability past 6 months.

In comparison to... construction worker falls of building can't move half his body and doesn't have any higher level education. They get full disability and we need the funds to be there for them. Even then, we might be able to help them find some type of job on top of that just to make them happier with life.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:05 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,799,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Even if people are abusing the system the amount we spend on individual welfare programs isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to our overall spending.

We could wipe out all government assistance and still be trillions in debt for decades to come.

So I don't know why people are even focusing on this.

Im sorry southern conservatives but the big black mystical welfare queen using food stamps and section 8 to feed and house her kids is not destroying our economy; the Wall Street banker, pentagon, federal bailouts/corporate welfare and central bank are doing it.
While these are usually rallying arguments for people that want to do away with welfare programs, It is still a problem if we are encouraging people to not live their lives.

It is a problem if they aren't working when they can be, especially when they really need wages higher than welfare. It is also worrisome to me that it is affecting people socially so much they discourages marriage.

Those are real problems too.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 AM

616 posts, read 1,114,877 times
For welfare recipients, would it be possible to form a sort of government work force that gives welfare recipients a productive job to do? Maybe something similar to the TVA or whatnot? That way people who need assistance are getting it, and they are also doing productive work and a valuable public work is being performed. Like some sort of a compromise system between liberals and conservatives on the issue. If the government is giving the money to the recipient anyway, at least in this scenario a bridge is being repaired at the same time (or whatever else needs being done). That way people don't feel like they have their dignity taken away and they still get help.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
While these are usually rallying arguments for people that want to do away with welfare programs, It is still a problem if we are encouraging people to not live their lives.

It is a problem if they aren't working when they can be, especially when they really need wages higher than welfare. It is also worrisome to me that it is affecting people socially so much they discourages marriage.

Oh whatever, you know it's intellectually dishonest to think these southern neocons care about all that. They just don't want their money going to poor people. Yet, they don't realize who is really screwing them over. The single mom buying a snicker with food stamps is not the one to be fighting against.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Oh whatever, you know it's intellectually dishonest to think these southern neocons care about all that. They just don't want their money going to poor people. Yet, they don't realize who is really screwing them over. The single mom buying a snicker with food stamps is not the one to be fighting against.
Because it is much better to be intellectually lazy, and dismiss an idea you do not like by labeling it "neconservative", rather than consider the possibility that over-reliance on government assistance has had detrimental effects on some of the people that it intends to help.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Because it is much better to be intellectually lazy, and dismiss an idea you do not like by labeling it "neconservative", rather than consider the possibility that over-reliance on government assistance has had detrimental effects on some of the people that it intends to help.
I've thought about and realize that there are always going be abusers of any system.

Right now the issue is a red herring or a distraction from what's really hurting this country.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Absolutely true, CW.

Sure, we can and should point out that corporate welfare is egregious. I completely agree and consider it outrageous. That needs to come to a screeching halt.

However, that by no means excuses or eliminates social benefit abuse by individuals. That also completely stinks and it is by no means a minor issue.

Dismissing the opinions of those who are upset by such abuse is not good strategy. People are genuinely upset by it and with good reason. It touches a nerve of unfairness if you are working hard and struggling to take care of yourself and your family and you see others who are not doing the same.

Telling people to forget about it, that it's not a real problem, that their concerns are false or based on inappropriate motives is just dumb.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,542,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you give people free money, they won't want to work for it later?

Wow. Breakthrough. Wonder how much money they spent 'figuring that out.'
That's the whole point slavery ain't dead & Uncle Sams plantation is in full effect. My dad told me about this as a kid. Food Stamps & wellfare are dangers & to never get involed with anyone connected to those vices. I'm glad I listened to him.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,157,435 times
Lol, just remember, the more of those 'lazy welfare recipients' get jobs, the less overall jobs there will be available, thus more complaining about how bad the economy is and how little jobs there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: