Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 12,787 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be moving to Atlanta from NC in May 2013. My office will be at 75 Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30330 and my wife will be working Downtown (near Peachtree Street). I-75 is the connecting highway to our offices. We want 2 BR apartment in a good neighborhood with security and close proximity to grocery stores and other shopping stores. Security is our main concern. Could you please suggest some good areas where we can start looking for the apartment/Condos?

Here are the details in the suggested format:

1. Budget
about $1000 per month

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
- 2x2 Apartment/Condo. Size >= 1150 sft

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
- Both, I and my wife will be working. My office will be at 75 Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30330 and my wife will be working Downtown (near Peachtree Street). I-75 is the connecting highway to our offices.

4. Children(public school vs. private)
- No

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
- Mix of both

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
- Not Required. However would prefer to have options.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
- Ideally a good mix. Would not want an area were an ethnicity/race is overwhelmingly predominant.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
You should have several options available. This puts you in the Cumberland Mall area which is basically Vinings, Smyrna East/South or Marietta South.

I am not current on best apartments or rates but you might want to check Promove which gets generally good recommendations for apartment hunting.

There is a Promove office in this area.

Contact PROMOVE The Apartment Experts | PROMOVE.com

Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Smyrna or Vinings, but Cobb County has little transit. If you want to live closer to transit, so your wife could commute via MARTA, look into Perimeter Center area in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Its a straight shot on MARTA Red Line to Downtown and its a safe ride.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Thanks lorilove and cqholt for your replies!!

I am little worried about how much time my wife would have to give for daily commute to her office at Peachtree street (downtown). So additionally, I would like to know:

1. How much time it would take by car from Cumberland Mall area to Peachtree street (downtown) during the office rush hours?
2. How much time it would take by car from Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas to Peachtree street (downtown) during the office rush hours?
3. How much time it would take by MARTA Red Line from Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas to Peachtree street (downtown)?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
On average it should take about 30 minutes from Cumberland to Downtown - you are only talking about 10-12 miles. I would probably still give myself 45 minutes since you have to deal with parking etc.

The advantage of the Cumberland Mall area is that there are several surface roads if necessary,

That being said when traffic breaks down in Atlanta it becomes one big parking lot and unfortunately that 1/2 hour commute can become 1 1/2 hours!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
3. How much time it would take by MARTA Red Line from Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas to Peachtree street (downtown)?
20 Minutes of stress-free commuting. Traffic is unpredictable, but MARTA is 98% on time.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks again for your quick replies. My wife wants to reduce her commute as much as possible. Is there any good neighborhood closer to midtown or 5-7 miles from downtown towards North/NW Atlanta?

Thanks

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoatlanta2013 View Post
Hi,

Thanks again for your quick replies. My wife wants to reduce her commute as much as possible. Is there any good neighborhood closer to midtown or 5-7 miles from downtown towards North/NW Atlanta?

Thanks
Not with your budget.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM

What if I stretch my monthly rent budget to $1200 per month?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM

163 posts, read 431,488 times
I don't think you'll get a two-bedroom, two-bath for that. For real-life comparison's sake, I live in Inman Park and commute up 75 to the Sandy Springs area every day. The drive takes me about 20 minutes without fail--the biggest pain point is getting on the 75/85 connector and watching people seemingly forget they have to take one or the other and try to cut across six lanes of traffic in 3.2 seconds. After that, it's smooth sailing. And from here, it would take your wife minutes to get to work.

That said, I pay $1410/month for a one-bedroom apartment. I pay another $25/month for valet trash (I have no option on this, it's required, which is dumb, but it's true). And then utilities--water, heat, cable, internet. The place does include a gym and a pool and has gated garage parking, so, there's that, and I love it here, and I love the location, I have zero complaints.

But it's not cheap. I'm sure there are apartments for less in this area, but I can't imagine they're going to be two-bed, two-bath; they'd more likely be in a smaller complex or a house, and you'd have to do some searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta