Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 43,134 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Atlanta in the near future and I have been applying for jobs but I have not been getting any response. Is it more difficult to get employers in Atlanta to hire out of state employees? I will have my bachelors degree in healthcare management and I am hoping to land a decent career with decent pay. I have been looking in the Roswell, Sandy Springs and Marietta area as far as housing goes. Should I get in contact with a staffing agency to find a job? What is the best route to go? Also what are some of the best company's to work for in healthcare in the Atlanta area? Thanks so much for all advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,249 times
The job market in Atlanta is still really tough. Among people I know (very unscientific survey), finding a new job can take two years or more, especially for people with good education and experience. Jobs in less-skilled areas like food service, retail, and customer service seem to be a bit easier to find. In addition, companies are inundated with resumes from people who live here, so I suspect any potential candidates they might have to relocate would be second choice.

There are some great healthcare companies to work for in Atlanta - do a Google search and you will find them.

I have two recommendations:
1) Be sure to find a job here before moving, or have at least 2+ years of living expenses saved up. You don't want to go to the trouble of moving here and then have to move back, or be stuck.
2) Consider getting a local address and phone number to put on your resume. The UPS mailbox places offer addresses that look like street addresses (instead of PO boxes) and will forward your mail for a fee. You can get a free Google Voice number that forwards to your phone.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
There are no legal or tax barriers discouraging it that I am aware of. It might be considered lower cost to hire local (no relocation expenses, waiting, etc...). Atlanta also has a good pool of educated applicants for most jobs making it hard to not find people locally. Also, if your degree is from out-of-state, employers might not know the school as much or have much experience with people who graduated from there... so it might be seen as a slightly higher risk. This is often where job experience/background is -slightly- important and you didn't mention experience/prior career, but wanted to land a career?

Also I'm curious... where are you coming from?

I saw what you said about decent pay... it made me curious if you've been putting expected pay on applications and if so, if it is high or low ... for this area (not NYC, DC, etc..). You also said "application" instead of "resume." If you haven't make sure every resume sent includes a cover letter specifically for that job position at that specific company (yes, this requires work for every place to send a resume in).

Atlanta pay is about middle of the road, but cost of living is much cheaper. Most people here can make more in NYC, but they are here for lifestyle and/or low cost of living.

Our job market is really soft, but the healthcare industry is better than most other industries.

I don't know what your reasons for moving here are (if Atlanta is a -must-), but if you have less experience and want to move into the area... you might find Georgia's smaller cities have healthcare jobs that provide better entry level stepping stones. Hospitals in small cities that might not have as robust of a college educated population often have to hire outsiders.

Augusta in general (might have more competition), but has a huge booming medical industry (more jobs) thanks to proximity of the state's major medical university.

Also, remember... building experience might mean needing to be flexible on entry level location and pay.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAMC View Post
Is it more difficult to get employers in Atlanta to hire out of state employees?
Yes! If you were hiring and received 20 resumes from local qualified candidates and 5 resumes from non-local candidates, who would you contact for an interview?

Do you know anyone here that will let you use their address?
*Assuming an employer bites, you'll have to be ready to interview and move quickly though...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 AM

12 posts, read 43,134 times
Is the healthcare market tough though? I see so many jobs available in healthcare

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM

38 posts, read 62,793 times
Very good topic! My wife and I will be relocating to ATL for my job in January, and she also has a Healthcare Admin degree. We have had terrible luck here in SC with her finding a meaningful job, but we are hoping that changes when we move. As mentioned, there seems to be a number of jobs available, we just dont know what it takes to get a look..

Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 PM

276 posts, read 430,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWJr View Post
Very good topic! My wife and I will be relocating to ATL for my job in January, and she also has a Healthcare Admin degree. We have had terrible luck here in SC with her finding a meaningful job, but we are hoping that changes when we move. As mentioned, there seems to be a number of jobs available, we just dont know what it takes to get a look..
Also keep in mind, just because a job is posted, it doesn't mean that the company is actually hiring for it. Sometimes they are evaluating the market or are disorganized and do not take down invalid positions, etc. It seems counter-intuitive, but I know Home Depot, for example, has corporate jobs on their website that have been posted for months. I've heard this issue concerning other companies as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 14,811 times
Just wondering how your search for housing and work is going. I too am moving in Jan to Atlanta. Just curious.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta