Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times

Advertisements

Fayette County might opt out of regional transit plan | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,280,470 times
Let'em, their an aging county anyway. 20 years from now when they are Clayton-west, they will be begging for transit.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,965,171 times
Whatever.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,245,566 times
Transit is so incredibly unnecessary for Fayette County. Why does anyone here care if they are a part of it anyways?

Why do people want to bring unwilling and unimportant parties into a critical discussion?

Wow, just reading some of the comments on the CL website shows how ignorant some pro-transit folks can be. I don't agree with Steve Brown and his blanket anti-transit stance and this pointless vote, but he make a point that what works for the major metro counties does not work for lil ol Fayette County.

Last edited by tikigod311; 03-14-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,787,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Transit is so incredibly unnecessary for Fayette County. Why does anyone here care if they are a part of it anyways?

Why do people want to bring unwilling and unimportant parties into a critical discussion?
I sort of care.

Originally the major premise for it was a single commuter rail stop. Also, if regional buses are used between Henry Co. and Newnan it might as well stop at 2 or 3 key places in between, especially Peachtree city where there are alot of retail jobs and some offices, so they are definitely a part of this region.

Now they are a small part. That is why they aren't planned for anything larger.

But anyways the reason we should all care as a region. It is very much a suburban commuter oriented county. They generate alot of traffic on I-85 and I-75, which affects neighboring communities as well.

The only reason they get discussed so much is they are the loudest about it.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,245,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I sort of care.

Originally the major premise for it was a single commuter rail stop. Also, if regional buses are used between Henry Co. and Newnan it might as well stop at 2 or 3 key places in between, especially Peachtree city where there are alot of retail jobs and some offices, so they are definitely a part of this region.

Now they are a small part. That is why they aren't planned for anything larger.

But anyways the reason we should all care as a region. It is very much a suburban commuter oriented county. They generate alot of traffic on I-85 and I-75, which affects neighboring communities as well.

The only reason they get discussed so much is they are the loudest about it.
You're right. They are the loudest about it. Steve Brown has made a name off of his anti-transit stance and will likely be re-elected for it. This whole vote is just political theater to help solidify his chances of re-election.

And you are right that Fayette is a small part. As I remember a very small contributor of traffic to Atlanta's highways. I-85 S is rarely backed up and is nothing like the rest of metro Atlanta interstates. I drive on HWY 85 every weekday and it flows like butter. There are no serious traffic problems outside of the poorly designed Hwy 74 and I 85 interchange. Even that pales in comparison to other metro Atlanta chokepoints.

Fayette is best suited to be in a region consisting of Coweta, Spalding, Fayette, and Henry counties.

Fact of the matter is Fayette County is almost all built out at this point. It is not going to continue to grow like the rest of the metro. That's the county's signature feature. People can hate on it all they want, but it is a unique feature. Atlanta is lucky to have a largely rural well planned upscale county within its metro. And Fayette is lucky to have Atlanta too btw. Don't want to make it sound adversarial.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
You're right. They are the loudest about it. Steve Brown has made a name off of his anti-transit stance and will likely be re-elected for it. This whole vote is just political theater to help solidify his chances of re-election.

And you are right that Fayette is a small part. As I remember a very small contributor of traffic to Atlanta's highways. I-85 S is rarely backed up and is nothing like the rest of metro Atlanta interstates. I drive on HWY 85 every weekday and it flows like butter. There are no serious traffic problems outside of the poorly designed Hwy 74 and I 85 interchange. Even that pales in comparison to other metro Atlanta chokepoints.

Fayette is best suited to be in a region consisting of Coweta, Spalding, Fayette, and Henry counties.

Fact of the matter is Fayette County is almost all built out at this point. It is not going to continue to grow like the rest of the metro. That's the county's signature feature. People can hate on it all they want, but it is a unique feature. Atlanta is lucky to have a largely rural well planned upscale county within its metro. And Fayette is lucky to have Atlanta too btw. Don't want to make it sound adversarial.
Well there still growing though. I mean its no Gwinnett or Cobb clearly, but it isn't stagnant.

But thinking regionally, Fayette, Coweta, and Henry are all a part of the metro reigon, not just a region within themselves.

Coweta and Henry are both growing fairly fast.

Peachtree City is pretty far south leaving a bit of undeveloped land between them and the city.

What will happen as their neighbors grow and all of the sudden they freeway isn't moving so well?

And yea..... I always thought the 74 interchange would benefit greatly from a single 1/4 cloverleaf, since most the traffic is coming to and from south 74 and going north on 85. It only needs to be built from I-85 south to 74 south.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,149,327 times
Who cares? Why does it matter to you so much? There's nothing of importance in Fayette county anyway. They are an irrelevant county in the metro Atlanta area. As long as Transit extends into further parts of Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb, its fine. Maybe Rockdale too. Outside of that, I could give 2 sh*ts about going into a boring, dull, characterless, conservative, suburb like Fayette Co.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Who cares? Why does it matter to you so much? There's nothing of importance in Fayette county anyway. They are an irrelevant county in the metro Atlanta area. As long as Transit extends into further parts of Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb, its fine. Maybe Rockdale too. Outside of that, I could give 2 sh*ts about going into a boring, dull, characterless, conservative, suburb like Fayette Co.
well transit, and for that matter road planning isn't about what you care "2 sh*ts" about.

It is more about acknowledging the fact they are a part of the region and choosing the best way to integrate them.

I think a commuter rail stop in Peachtree City would be excellent, so in the future we can sell businesses locating in Atlanta access to those potential high-value employees.

I do believe our region is stronger if we can have a central point where we can tell a future employer... locate here and everyone can feasibly commute here despite traffic growth.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,149,327 times
Well, if they don't want it, they don't want, therefore I couldn't give a damn whether or not transit extends there and thus, they are irrelevant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta