Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:05 PM

55 posts, read 233,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoeyes2001 View Post
11Alive.com | Money - A Visit to Fraud's Zip Code (broken link)
Finally a truthful story.

The only wrong part is that half the interviews and streetscapes and people mentioned are in Westview, not West End, but we'll continue teaching the reportes until they get it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,091 times
Hello, I'm doing research for a project on aging-in-place community design. Specifically, our project focuses on renovating & revitalizing a suburban location. I thought the best place to start was one of the first suburbs of Atlanta - West End. I picked it because I take MARTA to class every day from College Park and look down at the blight around West End and wanted to focus on fixing up this historic part of town. From reading this forum it looks like the movement has already started. We also drove around (white folks in Volvo wagon - boy did we look odd) and there were some newly renovated places that were very impressive but I also saw the places some folks have mentioned that are boarded up. How would the community feel if the homes were renovated so that elderly residents could age in place and stay in them until they passed away? It is a great location - near shopping and downtown plus MARTA is a 5 minute walk away. How "elderly friendly" is the community - I mean is it easy for them to get around from what you can see? I would love to come to the neighborhood association meeting - I'm sorry I missed it this month but hope I can come in April. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 PM

31 posts, read 126,104 times
tlc1975sapper,

You are welcome to attend our meeting, however in order to speak on your project it has to be presented to the executive committee first. Please note the committee will expect a detail plan of what your program entails. Our executive meeting is every last Tuesday at the West End Medical Center. Please contact vkayhenry@gmail.com if you would like to be on the executive committee meeting agenda.

PS most of the blight see is not West End. You only see four blocks of West End from MARTA. Most of that is the commercial area.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM

145 posts, read 598,601 times
tlc1975sapper,

West End will also have a booth at the Atlanta Home Show starting today through the weekend (March 13-16) at the GWCC. It will be staffed with residents (part-time historians) that will be able to answer some of your questions about the neighborhood. We are very excited to be able to showcase our community to the residents of Metro Atlanta.

Personally, I know a few elderly neighbors that my wife and I assist occasionally, but that could happen anywhere. What West End has is convenience to Interstates, Marta, Sidewalks, and 2 Medical Centers/Offices in the neighborhood itself. It is very self contained and convenient for our older residents. It has a 2 Grocery Markets, Post Office, Library, CVS (Pharmacy) and a long list of other retail through out the neighborhood. Much of West End's retail corridors/enclaves have been here for generations, so older residents don't have to go far for their basic needs.

There is also a free community newspaper that is delivered to the homes each month that often has interviews with residents (many old-timers) and has articles about property taxes and other things that concern old and young alike.

Hope that helps some.

btw, West End is a lot more diverse than many think. There are many people with Volvos that live here :-) Our Neighborhood meetings are a good way to meet West End's residents and business owners.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,821 times
DaveSm,
Actually we have mercedes, BMWs but I have to say I have not seen any SAABs. Has anyone seen a SAABs?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Pictures of Historic West End

I thought I would add some pictures of West End to this thread. There are a lot of people who post pictures of other neighborhoods on this forum, so...
So I thought I would give you a few picks of places that West End can be proud of. I will try to add more later, specially for those who do not realize how beautiful and rich architecture Historic West End has. You will find Folk Victorian, Queen Ann, Craftsman, Minimal Traditional, Gabled Ell, Queen Ann Cottage, New South Cottage, American FourSquare, and Bungalow styles here. This place is definitely worth exploring...
Also, here is a new West End website (still in progress): atlantawestend.com Check it out
Attached Thumbnails
Historic West End-historicwestend34.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend1111.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend6.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend14.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend5.jpg  

Historic West End-historicwestend31.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend24.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend9.jpg  

Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM

162 posts, read 684,053 times
Does the city of Atlanta give any type of credits or incentives when purchasing in an economical depressed area (not that West End qualifies in this category) particularly in other intown areas, just wondering?

Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
Does the city of Atlanta give any type of credits or incentives when purchasing in an economical depressed area (not that West End qualifies in this category) particularly in other intown areas, just wondering?
I do not know if there are any programs like that in Atlanta. I know that you can find a beautiful house in West End for under (around) 100K. Mostly it will require some renovation, but you should still come out ahead.
I truly think that the prices in the area right now can be treated as incentives. West End is still a transitional area so there are better parts and worse ones which you can consider depressed.

Anyway, here is more picks.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic West End-historicwestend3.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend18.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend21.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend7.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend4.jpg  

Historic West End-historicwestend32.jpg   Historic West End-skylofts2.jpg   Historic West End-atlanta-west-end.jpg  

Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Default More Pix

and more...
Attached Thumbnails
Historic West End-catholic-church.jpg   Historic West End-downtown-skyline.jpg   Historic West End-historicwestend2.jpg   Historic West End-westend-atlanta.jpg   Historic West End-west-end-house4.jpg  

Historic West End-we-atlanta.jpg   Historic West End-cool-house-atlanta.jpg   Historic West End-atlanta-westend.jpg  

Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 PM

55 posts, read 233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
There are a number of programs that offer incentives to move into the city. I don't know all of them, but some of them are through the Atlanta Development Authority. The incentives are especially targeted at first-time and moderate income families. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for young people looking to buy their first house!

The link is: http://www.atlantada.com/buildDev/Ho...gePrograms.jsp - and I know Westview, as well as West End, are applicable neighborhoods for these programs. If you're interested you can check out some of the available homes in our neighborhood here: http://www.westviewatlanta.com/index...d=28&Itemid=60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta