Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:49 PM

31 posts, read 126,167 times

Advertisements

1. Westview -http://www.westviewatlanta.com/
2. Adair Park historic District
3. Capitol View Untitled Document
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM

179 posts, read 558,515 times
It takes 20-25 mins to get to midtown from where I live in East Point (I used to work there and husband still does) driving up Lee Street to Northside Drive, so if we move to West End we look forward to shaving 10 minutes off of that commute!
I really appreciate the insight people have given on this board as well as the links. I'm in the early stages of gathering research on West End, but it gets more appealing by the minute!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 19,583 times
Default West End-Love it

Hi
I have lived in West End about six years. I bought a duplex and turned it into a single family. I have to admit, I live on a street I call the ghetto of West End. But my street is quiet but to look at it you would walk away. I hear crickets at night. Since I am down the block from MARTA, I do get a lot of foot traffic. But the area is great. I love being 15 minutes for the airport because I travel, I love to take MARTA to the FOX theatre and not pay $20.00 in parking. I walk to the library and they knew me by name. I have garden plot at the rose circle garden www.rosecirclecommunitygarden.wikispaces.com . I walk down the street a neighbors stops me to talk. I love it here.

As for crime for the most part it is not as bad as people think, most of our crime is centered around the mall. And as in all inner city neighborhoods empty houses have had their copper taken.

Check out our website West End Neighborhood Development, Inc.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,764 times
Default West End Hot I-20 Neighborhood

Mortgage fraud in West End first hurt, then really freed up an amazing amount of inventory now hitting the market at bargain prices. Not so great for ex home values; but has spurred a wave of homebuyer activity in the last year. Its still a secret. Stick to the West End Historic area for the best Value/Appreciaton potential. It has location x3, plus history and quality of housing. Check out neighborhood meetings to judge the kind of neighbors here. 1st Tuesday/month 6pm at the West End Library 525 Peeples St.
I'm an 18-yr resident and VP of the association: Look forward to seeing you at the meeting. Say hello. Salud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a home in Historic West End. I currently live in East Point, I've been in the Atlanta area for 3 years, and I'm ready to upgrade to a larger place. I would like to stay near the city, and my budget is around $200k. I've looked in all of the neighborhoods on the SE side of town, and I just can't afford what I really want, which is a great historic home. Historic West End homes are exactly what I want, but I'm concerned about the neighborhood. I'm asking here because I really don't know much about Historic West End other than what I've seen driving through and, well, from its not-so-great reputation.
Does anyone live in or near the area that can give me some advice? Would it be worth getting one of the uber-cheap homes to fix up, or is it not worth the risk that one might take living in the area?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Home appreciation

Well, I'm not sure that we're going to get the fantastic home in West End after all, which makes me sad because some investor has already put in an offer (they're still waiting on us to submit ours before responding to the investor) and they'll probably patch it up and sell it or sit on it and it'll stand vacant. My main concern is that we want to renovate the home and we're afraid that we won't get back what we put into the home when it comes time to sell (we're thinking $50k or so in addition to purchase price). We can't sit in the neighborhood for longer than four years, unfortunately, because we have a child and schooling becomes an issue in four years, not giving the home a lot of time to appreciate. Does anyone know about the forecast for house values in the area? I've been told that it's an area that requires patience, and I'm not sure that we have that kind of time because of my son.
Thank you all for your help, though, I was getting really excited about moving to West End! At the very minimum I have a new and great appreciation for the area.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM

51 posts, read 240,778 times
Based on the rave reviews in this thread, I spent several hours driving around the area this morning. I was awed by the houses and the potential of the area. Granted many of them are in dis-repair and there are alot of boarded-up places, but the area has the foundations to be a great in-town community.

Having said that, what I didn't get was a sense of welcome. Many of the residents I waved to simply didn't respond, some gave a fairly plain look of dis-dain. I heard two boys plainly say "look at this white guy over here". It kind of concerns me how safe my property would be in this environment. Anyone else get this feelng?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:15 PM

We spent a lot of time in the neighborhood, and I never really felt 'unwelcome', although we did get a lot of looks. However, I don't feel as though it would be any less safe than most in-town neighborhoods. We saw several people outside yesterday when we went back to look at the house we wanted to buy, and no one made me feel nervous. I think there are some great people living there who really want the neighborhood to work, but it will take some work and time.
However, someone who lives there could probably speak better to this, since my experience is totally from the outside. But the homes are great, aren't they?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM

145 posts, read 599,369 times
Seyfun, I had a similar feeling when I was looking for a home in Old Fourth Ward a few years back. Funny thing is I didn't get that vibe when my wife and I started looking in West End. Sure there are some people that might have "personal issues". Maybe they saw you circling the block and thought you were an "evil" investor or looking for trouble. Is it possible you were in another area, because the West End Historic District isn't that big? It shouldn't take several hours, but more like 15-30 mins.

Also, I can assure you that no one is going to target you and vandalize your home because you are white. My wife and I don't fit the perceived demographic of West End, and we have had no problems with race in our 3 years here. Besides there are a lot more white and asian people living in West End then many who don't know the area would suspect. This summer I met a neighbor that moved to W.E. from Grant Park and another from E. Cobb. Neither of them have to worry about public schools, so it wasn't as complicated a move for them. If you came to one of the neighborhood meetings you would see the face of West End.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM

51 posts, read 240,778 times
Hi,

No, I was in West End proper. The "there's a white guy" incident happened at the intersection of Beecher and Lee street. I spent several hours because I went up and down each of the streets mentioned in the posting above and looked at several houses. Peeples street in particular is awesome. Like I say, I really liked the possibilities, but didn't feel welcome. I'll see what my realtor says on Friday when we go to look at houses.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,392 times
Default The West End is Great

Seyfun,
I've lived in the West End since 1981. I am a professional woman and have worked hard [and still doing so] to restore my home to it's orignal glory. I've raised my children here as well. They have finished college and doing well - dispite the perceived evils of being raised in the "inner city." The neighborhood is friendly and we are very concerned and watchful for one another. In the 26 years we've been here no one has vandalized my property. You would be surprised as to who lives here. When I moved here in 1981, we were on the verge of being like Grant Park and Inman Park. I don't know what changed in the politics of things, be I've stayed put for several reasons not the least of which are 1: I really like my home; 2. the neighborhood is quiet; I can walk to the bank, the post office, the drug store, the library, the hardware store, and the local grocery store and 4: my work communte by car or train is minimal and less stressful. When I travel through East Lake and Decatur - I ask myself why not the West End? The answer I hear is "we need more people who are willing to join us in making it happen." All of the areas I've mentioned started as we are -"a Diamond in the rough." It's a vision waiting to happen. You have to look beyond the surface to see its true beauty and glory. I've been waiting a long time for others to discover this well kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta