Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM

52 posts, read 288,511 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been reading this thread and since I now live in Atlanta was very interested when I read all the praises of West End. Well, today i had some time and took a little tour of the area.

My first reaction was: Are you kidding? Are you just a realtor pushing the area? It wasn't a horrible area or real dangerous, but kind of sleazy, skid-rowish, loserish. It reminded me of the type of areas in New Orleans I just left. (My wife thought it was funny when I pointed out to her on Peeples Ave some grown man with the oversized white t-shirt riding a little girl's bike - just like N'awlins!) But, waaaaay overrated. What the area needs IMHO is a Bohemian coffeehouse like the Rue in New Orleans to draw in artist or young professional types, not the five or so hair-weaving places.

Keep the realtor's talk for someone who walks into your office and off the board! Ya hear!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 33,802 times
Thanks for the directions! I'm going to look into this area despite the last comment made. Coming from a big city, I've seen neighborhoods that look horrible turn into gems and triple in value. Grant Park is a neighborhood I absolutely love and when I speak to native Atlantians, they always comment on how horrible it was way back when...now it's amazing!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 AM

145 posts, read 598,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
(My wife thought it was funny when I pointed out to her on Peeples Ave some grown man with the oversized white t-shirt riding a little girl's bike - just like N'awlins!)
That was probably a member of the new experimental theater troupe. LOL!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 AM

31 posts, read 126,119 times
Default Post of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
Hi,

I've been reading this thread and since I now live in Atlanta was very interested when I read all the praises of West End. Well, today i had some time and took a little tour of the area.

My first reaction was: Are you kidding? Are you just a realtor pushing the area? It wasn't a horrible area or real dangerous, but kind of sleazy, skid-rowish, loserish. It reminded me of the type of areas in New Orleans I just left. (My wife thought it was funny when I pointed out to her on Peeples Ave some grown man with the oversized white t-shirt riding a little girl's bike - just like N'awlins!) But, waaaaay overrated. What the area needs IMHO is a Bohemian coffeehouse like the Rue in New Orleans to draw in artist or young professional types, not the five or so hair-weaving places.

Keep the realtor's talk for someone who walks into your office and off the board! Ya hear!!

Post of the month also winner in category "read thread to understand".

Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 AM

52 posts, read 288,511 times
Talking You're too kind

You're too kind!! LOL

Old 12-16-2007, 10:09 PM

We had a Christmas party yesterday. Over 100 people, easily, turned up at Carl and Liz's house. It was wonderful to see three generations of West Enders celebrating holiday season together. The best thing for me was that I got to meet so many new people that live here. Thanks for the party - Carl and Liz.
You can read more about it at http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/living/stories/2007/12/16/westend_1217.html (broken link)

Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 AM

144 posts, read 598,116 times
Default Question about transit

I am considering the West End area and I am wondering how accessible is the neighborhood to MARTA in particular the train? I know there is a station near by but would it be feasible/safe/wise to walk say from the historic west end neighborhood to the train station? I would need to get to the GSU area. Thanks Tomeka

Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
I am considering the West End area and I am wondering how accessible is the neighborhood to MARTA in particular the train? I know there is a station near by but would it be feasible/safe/wise to walk say from the historic west end neighborhood to the train station? I would need to get to the GSU area. Thanks Tomeka
It ia accessible to both the bus and train which stops by the colleges (actually runs under the football field of one of them). In the day it is safe, at night it is less safe but not terribly dangerous.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd4202 View Post
She sent us to East Point...should we look in West End?
East Point is far more gay friendly. Lots of gays there.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM

Default West End Calling

11Alive.com | Money - A Visit to Fraud's Zip Code (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta