Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times

Advertisements

hi, I am also thinking about buying a home in the westend, the oakland city area to be exact, right now I live in the douglasville area it's a pretty nice place to live, but something is drawing me towards the oakland city area, I'm not sure why but I have to follow my heart. I am going buy a older house and fix it up, to become apart of rebuilding the westend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM

145 posts, read 600,293 times
Default West End and Oakland City are different neighborhoods

West End and Oakland City are two different neighborhoods. Oakland City is south of West End, between WE and Fort McPherson. In all honesty, with the exception of a few patches Oakland City is a considerably more depressed area. This will eventually change (especially with the Fort McPherson redevelopment), but I don't see it happening in the near future.

If your heart is still drawing you to OC then those patches are around Avon by Lee St, between Avon and Almont, and across from the West End boundary on Donnelly Ave.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,870 times
Its nearly official! Preapproval is complete and now its time to look at a few more places this weekend and then HOPEFULLY put an offer in on the one we fell in love with. Hopefully they accept it and we'll be on our way!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM

171 posts, read 665,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West End Fan View Post
Its nearly official! Preapproval is complete and now its time to look at a few more places this weekend and then HOPEFULLY put an offer in on the one we fell in love with. Hopefully they accept it and we'll be on our way!
Congratulations too you!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 AM

Thank you!

Has anyone in this thread used a 203k loan? Thats what I'll be getting so I can rehab the place before move in. I'm just not sure how hard it will be to get a contractor in the area that will work with that sort of situation. Any referrals? If you have worked with or heard of any good contractors that know about and are willing to work with the 203k, please let me know. I'm afraid that may be the hardest part of this whole situation.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,495,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West End Fan View Post
Thank you!

Has anyone in this thread used a 203k loan? Thats what I'll be getting so I can rehab the place before move in. I'm just not sure how hard it will be to get a contractor in the area that will work with that sort of situation. Any referrals? If you have worked with or heard of any good contractors that know about and are willing to work with the 203k, please let me know. I'm afraid that may be the hardest part of this whole situation.
The hard part will be finding a contractor willing to do the work well and deal with the hassles of the 203k program- especially in an area that many contractors don't want to work in like West End. Just the wait for payment will cause most contractors to not even bother with the program, unless they're able to float the cost while they wait for payment, and that will reflect in higher pricing to you.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Bob, I've found just that! Most of the contractors I've contacted don't know anything about 203k loans, and most of them have a boundry AT I-20. I did find one who's willing to come out and take a look though...finding 3 to compare could be a tough one.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 AM

145 posts, read 600,293 times
West End Fan,

Try posting your question on the atlantawestend.com forum. You may get more useful information regarding the 203k and contractors some of the West End residents used for their rehab.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
Default 203k program in Atlanta

I am an architect and 203k Consultant/Inspector... I know of several contractors that work within 203k and can pass on their names. Additionally, I have been doing design work for many clients that are using 203k, and have some really good things to say about this program.
This is my first posting here, and not sure if it's bad taste to put my direct email here - but contact me if you have any questions. - chris. Moderator cut: Not really bad taste, but going against City-Data ToS (Terms of Service) which states "no advertisement allowed".

Last edited by MB2; 10-25-2008 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 12,325 times
I am looking into purchasing a home in this Historic area as well. Im flying in this weekend just to mill a round with my realtor and get an up and close look. Ive heard great things about the area however I just want to see and get a feel for it before I buy. Any more feed back would be very helpful and appreciative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta