Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 25,128 times

Advertisements

Well, after 6 years away from Georgia, my wife and I (& 8 month old) are moving back due to a job transfer. We previously lived in the Athens area, but I will now be working in the 85/Sugarloaf Parkway area.

I've heard a lot has changed in this short amount of time, so I wanted people's opinions on the Hoschton/Braselton/Bethlehem/Dacula areas. I've searched the forums, but I couldn't find many recent posts about these areas. I have a limited time before I move back, so I'm trying to do most of my research prior to traveling down for house hunting. I've heard mixed reviews on these areas, so I wanted to get information from people who have first hand experience with them. Also, are there any similar places that I should consider looking? We are obviously looking for a single family home in a family oriented area. Being in a rural area doesn't bother us, based in where we grew up.

Thanks for any help that is provided.

I should add that we are relocating from Charlotte.

Last edited by CrucialPoint; 02-20-2013 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialPoint View Post
Well, after 6 years away from Georgia, my wife and I (& 8 month old) are moving back due to a job transfer. We previously lived in the Athens area, but I will now be working in the 85/Sugarloaf Parkway area.

I've heard a lot has changed in this short amount of time, so I wanted people's opinions on the Hoschton/Braselton/Bethlehem/Dacula areas. I've searched the forums, but I couldn't find many recent posts about these areas. I have a limited time before I move back, so I'm trying to do most of my research prior to traveling down for house hunting. I've heard mixed reviews on these areas, so I wanted to get information from people who have first hand experience with them. Also, are there any similar places that I should consider looking? We are obviously looking for a single family home in a family oriented area. Being in a rural area doesn't bother us, based in where we grew up.

Why not find a place to live closer in? Perhaps around Suwanee, Buford or even Lawrenceville. 85 and 316 traffic are horrendous.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialPoint View Post

I used to live in Lawrenceville, and I don't think anything has really changed in 6 years. Now, maybe if you left 15 years ago, definitely. For a purpose, around Braselton will be your best bet. While they are working on the interchanges on 316, the traffic is still quite bad. You might want to try the Hamilton Mill area. Great neighborhoods, schools, amenities. etc. Good luck and welcome back!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Why not find a place to live closer in? Perhaps around Suwanee, Buford or even Lawrenceville. 85 and 316 traffic are horrendous.
I'm have given consideration to Swanee and also Grayson. I just don't know the areas that well, and that is why I'm asking for advice.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I used to live in Lawrenceville, and I don't think anything has really changed in 6 years. Now, maybe if you left 15 years ago, definitely. For a purpose, around Braselton will be your best bet. While they are working on the interchanges on 316, the traffic is still quite bad. You might want to try the Hamilton Mill area. Great neighborhoods, schools, amenities. etc. Good luck and welcome back!
Hamilton Mill is on my radar based on a discussion I had with someone else today. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
I also vote for Suwanee. Nice family oriented town, good schools, easy commute. If you have specific questions about Suwanee, please let me know. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
FYI: Once you get past the Suwanee exit on 85, traffic is squeezed together on two lanes in each direction causing even more of a traffic nightmare from Mall of Georgia to Hamilton Mill.

There are some great areas closer in that would work for you. Take a look at Suwanee as mentioned before.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM

So we have updated our search to the Dacula, Hamilton Mill and Suwanee areas at tis time.

I've researched as much as possible from two states away. Does anyone have any information of the area of Old Fountain Road? It runs between 316 & 85, closer to 316. The closest cross road are 324 and 124, and it is near the Trophy Club at Apalachee. We have found a couple homes in that area that seem worth looking at.

Another concern is air traffic to Briscoe Field. Does anyone know where the flight paths over L'ville are. I've exhausted myself trying to find them, but I cannot locate them.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I also vote for Suwanee. Nice family oriented town, good schools, easy commute. If you have specific questions about Suwanee, please let me know. Good luck!
I was told to look for a rental in Suwanee Town Center while I search for a house. Do you have any specifics on that area?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:49 PM

33 posts, read 98,783 times
Default Suwannee

I read Suwanee was rated highly in Forbes as one of the best places to raise a family. So yeah, I also noticed the schools have high ratings. They are good in Hochton too and both have a low crime rating. I would vote for Suwanee since it's closer to your job, I think, and closer to more amenities and a straight shot to the mountains for even more family fun :0) I'm in the same boat, we can move any where, but have no jobs to link us to any particular place. Like gypsies. OMG the stress!

Last edited by Fuscia; 08-31-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta