Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 33,967 times

Advertisements

Wanted to revive this thread to see if there's any new info on Tucker. I understand that the schools are subpar. Their website looks so amateurish I couldn't get any real info from it (unless that's not the right website).

We might be extending our home search to the Tucker area so I wanted to find out more. We want to be near MARTA trains for work so we'd be looking closer to the Northlake Mall area and Doraville borderline. We are also considering adoption & think we could send a child to the local elementary school and private school thereafter. I understand Tucker is embroiled in a battle with Lakeside right now for Northlake Mall - "if" Tucker were to lose that effort, how would that affect those who live in the area in general, any idea?

Overall, is this a safe, decent place to live and possibly raise a family (schools aside)? Any advice about Tucker?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:57 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,671,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago35 View Post
Wanted to revive this thread to see if there's any new info on Tucker. I understand that the schools are subpar. Their website looks so amateurish I couldn't get any real info from it (unless that's not the right website).

We might be extending our home search to the Tucker area so I wanted to find out more. We want to be near MARTA trains for work so we'd be looking closer to the Northlake Mall area and Doraville borderline. We are also considering adoption & think we could send a child to the local elementary school and private school thereafter. I understand Tucker is embroiled in a battle with Lakeside right now for Northlake Mall - "if" Tucker were to lose that effort, how would that affect those who live in the area in general, any idea?

Overall, is this a safe, decent place to live and possibly raise a family (schools aside)? Any advice about Tucker?

Thanks in advance!
The problem is with the Lakeside effort, depending on what part you buy, you could end up being annexed into Clarkston, St. Mountain or Doraville.

By the end of March, we will know if the City of Lakeside is coming to the ballot, what the boundaries will be if it is, and perhaps some more of the implications. If your timing allows, I would wait this part out.

Have your considered just over the Gwinnett line in the Parkview High School district? Much more stability.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,088,683 times
Nothing to add, but since I was the OP I thought I would just say we never made the move. There was a job offer and it was turned down.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,826,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Watch the Gangland episode about DeKalb and Gwinnett counties. It focuses on Tucker.

Gangland - Street Law HD (Season 6 Episode 3) (History Channel) - YouTube

Old 02-18-2014, 10:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,423,072 times
Tucker is a great community and I live near the Northlake Mall. One of the main things I love about the area is the quick access to Interstate 285, or surface streets to Midtown. I currently reside ITP.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
I no longer live in Tucker, but I did for a long time until recently. I never saw anything even remotely resembling a "Gangland," and I've never heard of this stuff from neighbors or family members, or on the neighborhood web discussions. Every now and then (like once every two years) there would be a crime which may or may not have been gang related (a mugging in the Best Buy parking lot, a car stolen at gunpoint at the grocery store...the kind of thing that happens in neighborhoods all over the USA, even in extremely high end neighborhoods), and sometimes I'd see what may or may not have been a gang tag on a stop sign or fence.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM

580 posts, read 1,423,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I no longer live in Tucker, but I did for a long time until recently. I never saw anything even remotely resembling a "Gangland," and I've never heard of this stuff from neighbors or family members, or on the neighborhood web discussions. Every now and then (like once every two years) there would be a crime which may or may not have been gang related (a mugging in the Best Buy parking lot, a car stolen at gunpoint at the grocery store...the kind of thing that happens in neighborhoods all over the USA, even in extremely high end neighborhoods), and sometimes I'd see what may or may not have been a gang tag on a stop sign or fence.
Well said JPD. I've never heard of such thing either and I've only been in this area for 2 years. I really enjoy this older community (early 30s) but it took some getting used to every thing closing early. That gets most of the traffic out the area which is a plus.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
The problem is with the Lakeside effort, depending on what part you buy, you could end up being annexed into Clarkston, St. Mountain or Doraville.

By the end of March, we will know if the City of Lakeside is coming to the ballot, what the boundaries will be if it is, and perhaps some more of the implications. If your timing allows, I would wait this part out.

Have your considered just over the Gwinnett line in the Parkview High School district? Much more stability.
Thanks (again) lastminutemom. We have expanded our search to the Gwinnett area, although we're still hoping something will work out closer to the MARTA line, we really liked the area in general near Chamblee-Tucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Tucker is a great community and I live near the Northlake Mall. One of the main things I love about the area is the quick access to Interstate 285, or surface streets to Midtown. I currently reside ITP.
Thanks bornjacksonian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
WHEW! Thanks JPD! Out of all the people I"ve talked to about Tucker on and offline, nobody has mentioned this although someone told my hubby as long as we dind't cross the tracks in Tucker we'd be fine - guess the Gangland stuff is across the tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Well said JPD. I've never heard of such thing either and I've only been in this area for 2 years. I really enjoy this older community (early 30s) but it took some getting used to every thing closing early. That gets most of the traffic out the area which is a plus.
As long as I know when stuff closes we can work around that, although it will take some getting used to.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:26 PM

143 posts, read 242,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago35 View Post
Thanks (again) lastminutemom. We have expanded our search to the Gwinnett area, although we're still hoping something will work out closer to the MARTA line, we really liked the area in general near Chamblee-Tucker.

Thanks bornjacksonian!

WHEW! Thanks JPD! Out of all the people I"ve talked to about Tucker on and offline, nobody has mentioned this although someone told my hubby as long as we dind't cross the tracks in Tucker we'd be fine - guess the Gangland stuff is across the tracks?

As long as I know when stuff closes we can work around that, although it will take some getting used to.

I currently live in Tucker in a gated community. I find living in Tucker to be just fine. Everything that you'll need as necessity is close. Quick access to 285, 85, and Stone Mountain Expressway. I can get into midtown and buckhead within 20 minutes. I haven't felt threatened anywhere I've gone in Tucker, but maybe I just haven't gone to that area yet...BUT I've been on BOTH sides of the tracks and there are really nice areas on both sides. You've just got to get out and see it and maybe ask the Dekalb Sheriff office if there are any areas where you should perhaps NOT look. When I moved in, I asked the sheriff's office about my neighborhood specifically and they let me know that the area was good and that the worst crime in years in my neighborhood and around it was domestic violence. Good luck house hunting!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
I currently live in Tucker in a gated community. I find living in Tucker to be just fine. Everything that you'll need as necessity is close. Quick access to 285, 85, and Stone Mountain Expressway. I can get into midtown and buckhead within 20 minutes. I haven't felt threatened anywhere I've gone in Tucker, but maybe I just haven't gone to that area yet...BUT I've been on BOTH sides of the tracks and there are really nice areas on both sides. You've just got to get out and see it and maybe ask the Dekalb Sheriff office if there are any areas where you should perhaps NOT look. When I moved in, I asked the sheriff's office about my neighborhood specifically and they let me know that the area was good and that the worst crime in years in my neighborhood and around it was domestic violence. Good luck house hunting!
Thanks taurus2000! We're looking at more houses this weekend, had to cancel last weekend. We're still learning the area and had planned to talk to the local police stations but will add the sheriff to that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta