Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,627,022 times

Advertisements

Oh, and my guess is Georgia will receive federal funding for a major construction project of some sort. Why? Because Georgia, with its large, and growing Latino population could go blue in the next election. Latinos tend to work in construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,152,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I dunno anout the cost, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Faster access to the ocean could be a major selling point for Atlanta. With a bullet train people could live in one city and work in the other, especially if they only have to go to the office occasionally. Georgia is the biggest state east of the Mississippi, I think greater connectivity could be a good thing. Companies that need access to shipping in Savannah can more easily house their executives and such in Atlanta. Savannah could become almost a bedroom community. I assume that the tracks are already there, and with climate change we will need better means to get our people from the shore quickly. So I can think of several angles for the pitch.
I can't see justifying building a bullet train so Atlanta and Savannah can be each other's bedroom community. Without heavy subsidies, it won't be a cheap trip. And executives can afford flying either commercial or corporate jets.

Quote:
Will it happen? Probably not, but Reed was a very good surogate for the president. It may well be that he's throwing his most grandiose plans out there so that when he asks for what he really wants it will sound almost cheap in comparison. I wish I could remember the other projects he mentioned.
The US is $16 trillion in debt. Our GDP is $15 trillion. So we now owe more than we are worth. If Obama really loves this country...he will say...sorry...the piggy bank is empty.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,627,022 times
I think investment in infrastructure is a reasonable expense. Probably not a bullet train, but right now many of our bridges are collapsing, our electrical grid is obsolete, our flood control systems are a disgrace. So yeah, i'm definitely in favor of infrastructure projects. A train to Savannah is of no matter to me one way or another. god willing I'll be long gone before the first passenger boards.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,893,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The US is $16 trillion in debt. Our GDP is $15 trillion. So we now owe more than we are worth.
Isn't the GDP a measure of what we produce in one year? I think that is different from the debt, which has been accumulated over many years.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM

3,715 posts, read 6,008,010 times
Sheesh, can't we shoot for some obtainable goals? How about a regular-speed train to Macon?

If Atlanta seriously wants to consider any real High Speed Rail, the only route that makes a lick of sense is Atlanta - Charlotte - Raleigh. The Feds clearly want inter-state collaboration on these projects; something Georgia seems woefully unable to deliver.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 AM

10,742 posts, read 13,428,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Isn't the GDP a measure of what we produce in one year? I think that is different from the debt, which has been accumulated over many years.
That's right, arjay. Still, though, the point is significant - we owe more in total than we produce in any one year. That having been said, I have no doubt that the vast majority of Americans owes more than they produce in any one year. Now, GDP is not the same as tax revenue. So, I'm not sure if the comparison is particularly salient. Clearly, I'm not Oxford economist.....

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,694,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've noticed states that have a large percentage of Republicans, are generally not very advanced on transit options. I doubt Georgia would see an HSR between Atlanta and anywhere for many decades if at all. It would be nice though.
Most of the Democratic states were developed when public transportation was more relied upon. The original cities are also more dense.

The NYC system stared around 1905.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,930,064 times
Quote:
I've noticed states that have a large percentage of Republicans, are generally not very advanced on transit options.
^This^ is on point!
Forget about a HSR to Savannah, Reed needs to focus on getting federal funds to build transit on the BeltLine. That will do more for the City of Atlanta. The HSR is good for the whole state, but the whole state does not want to help Atlanta with its transportation issue, eg: MARTA.
And now Deal has sworn off any rail-based transit for Atlanta, instead focusing on more of the same that has gotten Atlanta to were it is now. Keep the tolls on 400 to pay for the 400/285 interchange improvements. A percentage of all toll money collected on Atlanta area freeways, current 400 tolls and 85 HOT lanes and future HOT lanes need to be diverted to fund rail-based transit in the metro.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,889,015 times
Yeah, Reed needs up the transit around Atlanta first. A passenger train to Savannah is not essential (but freight is).

Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,328,814 times
I'd ride it. I'd love to be able to go to Macon or Savannah without dealing with that painfully boring, and always dead-stopped at 75/675, drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta