Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM

32,068 posts, read 37,046,357 times

Advertisements

The southeast side is now rising up against 1970's style development (i.e., big boxes in mega surface parking lots).

This looks like an instant replay of the successful opposition from NPU-B and NPU-F to a similar proposal at Lindbergh. Once again a a developer is trying to construct one of these projects in an area set aside for high density residential and transit oriented development. In this case, it's the Beltline, whereas Lindbergh was governed by SPI-15.

The question I have is this. Why can't Atlanta shopping center developers simply get with the program? It's obvious that these sprawling auto-based centers are not what the communities want, nor are they in compliance with the zoning laws that have been put in place.

There are plenty of thriving and successful urban shopping centers in cities all around the US and in other countries.

Why shouldn't we have that in Atlanta, too?

Quote:
Neighborhood Planning Unit-W, which represents the interests of several southeast Atlanta communties, including Grant Park, Ormewood Park and East Atlanta, opposes the planned retail project at 800 Glenwood Ave., which aims to bring 170,000 square feet of retail — including an anchor tenant that would take 155,000 square feet — to Grant Park. [Plus a 1,000 space surface parking lot].

NPU-W, which is seeking the support of its sister NPUs across the city, says Fuqua Development's Glenwood Place project contradicts and violates development guidelines outlined in the Atlanta BeltLine Masterplan.

More....NPU-W Opposes Glenwood Place Development - East Atlanta, GA Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,058,243 times
They haven't realized that this isn't the old Atlanta anymore

Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,638,745 times
Quote:
There are plenty of thriving and successful urban shopping centers in cities all around the US and in other countries.
I have to assume that maybe they cost more? Maybe I'm not all that familiar with the concept. Are we talking about like Perimeter Center by Target? I admit I don't shop there much because it's impossible to get around. Or are you talkng abut places where you park then do yur shopping on foot? Like the Forum? I like that a LOT! We had something similar in Huntsville called bridge Street, only you parked in one place and no cars were in the shopping area. That's great, especially with kids. I haven't seen one of those here.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,940,100 times
I am in this neighborhood, and I would love to see some more retail in the area but not just a big box. Multiple smaller like Midtown Promenade preferably mixed in with residential.

Fuqua is capable of this if they just made it a bit more like some of their other projects: http://www.fuquadevelopment.com/file...ocksprings.pdf Or Town Brookhaven minus the CostCo and Lowes.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,528,629 times
Isn't the person who designed this development the same individual who designed the Lindbergh project?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,020,724 times
Quote:
I have to assume that maybe they cost more? Maybe I'm not all that familiar with the concept. Are we talking about like Perimeter Center by Target? I admit I don't shop there much because it's impossible to get around. Or are you talkng abut places where you park then do yur shopping on foot? Like the Forum? I like that a LOT! We had something similar in Huntsville called bridge Street, only you parked in one place and no cars were in the shopping area. That's great, especially with kids. I haven't seen one of those here.
Neither. We're talking about a development that has very little if any surface parking, mostly garages. Main street shopping feel with street side parking. very similar to the Glenwood Park business district across Bill Kennedy Way from the proposed project. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=glenw...37527&t=m&z=16

Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,638,745 times
Ah, hate parking garages, though they are better than huge parking lots. Do like streetside parking.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,940,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Isn't the person who designed this development the same individual who designed the Lindbergh project?
Yes. I think the same lessons can apply to both projects. Make the design fit the plan for the area and the community would be fine with it.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,273,908 times
Some more pics of the development. Most people compare it to the Edgewood Retail District
Feast your eyes on the retail center proposed near Glenwood Park, Atlanta Beltline | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

200 person protest -
Neighbors fight big-box development along Beltline - CBS Atlanta 46

This doesn't look terrible but I don't like it. Atlanta should be demanding more from developers.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 PM

32,068 posts, read 37,046,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Well, those drawings show the buildings that would be around the edge of the project. Most of it is a surface parking lot.

The second picture shows what the Beltine calls for.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta