Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

13,733 posts, read 15,801,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I live in a 900 sq ft home. I used to live in a 2500 sq ft home. My household's buying habits are the same as before. When I said "bulk" I was mostly referring to things that are bulky. Like dog food, paper products, cat litter, etc. Most people aren't going to walk to the store for those things.

Yes they will walk to the store for those things if they live within walking distance to a store in a densely built environment. How do you think people in the city get their big items like pet food to the house? The difference is vision. You can't see how this could work because you don't see it before your eyes. You have to look at this project as a change in the built environment. You have to imagine the finished product. If you create an urban development, people will be able to practise urban behavior. Look at these Walmarts under construction in DC. Stores will adapt to the environment the community desires if they have to.

Walmart with apartments above:
http://dc.urbanturf.com/images/blog/..._rendering.JPG

Apartments Website:
www.liveat77h.com

Second Walmart in DC with apartments above:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/...17e6fdffbb.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,316,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes they will walk to the store for those things if they live within walking distance to a store in a densely built environment. How do you think people in the city get their big items like pet food to the house? The difference is vision. You can't see how this could work because you don't see it before your eyes. You have to look at this project as a change in the built environment. You have to imagine the finished product. If you create an urban development, people will be able to practise urban behavior. Look at these Walmarts under construction in DC. Stores will adapt to the environment the community desires if they have to.

Walmart with apartments above:
http://dc.urbanturf.com/images/blog/..._rendering.JPG

Apartments Website:
www.liveat77h.com

Second Walmart in DC with apartments above:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/...17e6fdffbb.jpg
You don't seem to be familiar with the area in question.

Of course people who share a wall with Wal Mart will walk there.

That is NOT the type of area we are talking about. This area is mostly single family detached homes, and that isn't going to change: Ormewood Park, Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown. EAV. Glenwood Park being the only exception, as it is townhomes, condos, attached homes. All of these are the areas that will be served by whatever gets developed there.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM

13,733 posts, read 15,801,938 times
Quote:

That is NOT the type of area we are talking about. This area is mostly single family detached homes, and that isn't going to change: Ormewood Park, Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown. EAV. Glenwood Park being the only exception, as it is townhomes, condos, attached homes. All of these are the areas that will be served by whatever gets developed there.

My point was not about current development. It was about the urbanization of areas. Many people try to fight urbanization of suburban style low density areas. The point I was making is many area's are changing and areas that are full of single family homes now will develop and become more urban with infill. Places along the beltline especially will change and infill. That is what these mixed use developments like the Walmart etc. are demonstrating.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 6,544,213 times
Quote:

And that's why they will have parking at these developments...

Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM

32,034 posts, read 36,853,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
You have to park the stroller between the cars, the way most parking decks are so tightly packed this cannot be done, especially if you need to use the infant seat.
That may be the case in old decks, but if I'm not mistaken they are now required to have the same size parking spaces as surface lots.

When I'm doing a stroller, car seat or wheelchair, I try to find a spot that's not too crowded, regardless of whether I'm in a deck or surface lot.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
You missed the point, too.

You guys are off your game today.

A lot of people buy in bulk, or buy several large and/or heavy items that they cannot carry while walking home. Laundry detergent, cat litter, dog food, toilet paper, etc. Even if you just buy two of those things, it could be a challenge to walk to Grant Park or EAV with them.
Okay, sorry I misunderstood.

I'm certainly not advocating lugging heavy items around for long distances -- that would be ridiculous. As I said earlier, cars are part of life in most American cities and I don't see anything wrong with that whatsoever.

We may be in agreement -- my point is simply that parking doesn't have to be provided in large surface lots. There are many problems with that, and many better ways to provide parking.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Again, we may be in agreement, JPD, and I don't mean this as a criticism of your comments.

However, it's important to note that single family neighborhoods are not at all incompatible with urban development. And they certainly don't require large surface parking lots.

By the way, and not really important, but I thought there was a good bit of multifamily housing around that area.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,152,628 times
I agree with everything MDAllStar has said in here. If anyone knows urban development benefits very well, it's him.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
My point was not about current development. It was about the urbanization of areas. Many people try to fight urbanization of suburban style low density areas. The point I was making is many area's are changing and areas that are full of single family homes now will develop and become more urban with infill. Places along the beltline especially will change and infill. That is what these mixed use developments like the Walmart etc. are demonstrating.
Atlanta is not a rowhouse city, so advocating, directly or indirectly, that single-family neighborhoods be abandoned in favor of brownstones is a complete non-starter; furthermore, such neighborhoods can be and often are quite urban. Now new development will probably be denser with condos and townhomes and such, as is already occurring in the city, but they can co-exist very well with historic single-family homes.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 AM

4,845 posts, read 6,116,562 times
Quote:

The problem isn't so much single family homes most of urban American cities are dominated by single family detached homes. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and etc. The density of those neighborhoods aren't bad they aren't like Candler McAfee, the problem is the lack of integrated retail which can be infill. Because commercial developments are separated from residential, Because things are too far apart it increase the needs of a car more. You wouldn't need a car as much for getting milk if the distance from your house to the store is less than the distance of your parking space from the diary section of the big box store, now would you?

When we say walkable we mean walkable if something is out of your distance range, it means it's not walkable. The point is to mix commercial areas back with residential areas. This development is not made for walkabity, it continues the bad pattern of making these large isolated commercial areas from residential areas which cause traffic. The fact this is along the belt line makes it counter productive to the point it's ironic. All the places to build a big box store they choose to try, to build it in a neighborhood that wants the opposite. And really doesn't have the road infrastructure for the traffic. The area was intend for people who wanted to live a more urban life style.

Quote:
nobody wants to walk home carrying the six foot ladder, 24 pack of bottled water, two gallons of paint, and 12 roll pack of paper towels they just bought.
One of the biggest reasons people rack up at big box stores is because it's unnecessary to keep driving back and forth. So it's more likely that some one would wait and plan to get all of that at the same time. On the other hand if the store is in walking distance you could easily go back to the store when your short on something then and there. Other wise if you felt like painting the house on Friday, and your bottle waters and paper towels were low back on Monday don't wait to get everything on Thursday. You don't even have to let it build up like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta