Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,880,801 times

Advertisements

what does it mean when there is a growing homeless population in more centralized suburban areas? i think that it's a damned shame that people are homeless at all, and i think we need to work to find a regional solution to the problem. but backing up and looking at the issue in general, what does it mean when a previously suburban area develops a homeless population? does it mean the area is urbanized, the area is experiencing population growth? these are tough economic times and i'm sure that is a major part of the problem.

the reason i'm asking this is because i live in downtown alpharetta— and over the last two years we've noticed more and more homeless people around the area— for example, tonight we saw a man sleeping up under the eaves of an closed gas station in downtown alpharetta. i've seen people with grocery carts going up and down the road, and i recently gave a homeless man a few dollars outside of a gas station on windward. part of me wants to help these individuals out, but part of me sees this as the city of atlanta growing in size to the point that suburbanites can no longer ignore the problems of the region as if they're in their own little worlds. i hope that many of those who claim to be independent of the city of atlanta, the milton county promoters, tea partiers, etc. are sobered by these problems and maybe can decide to join the rest of the city in solving regional problems such as homelessness, rather than pretending it's not their problem since it's not in their immediate area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,921 times
you sound like a very good samaritan unfortunately homelessness has always been a problem in atlanta. There is simply not enough resources to help so many. The shelters are packed. There are no more projects and you are very lucky if you have section 8. I think the way to cure it is to build some low income homes where people can afford to pay their rent and utilities. Although a lot of people may not agree because low income areas normally create ghettos. But if something is not done about it you will see homeless people everywhere...even in the surburbs.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what does it mean when there is a growing homeless population in more centralized suburban areas? i think that it's a damned shame that people are homeless at all, and i think we need to work to find a regional solution to the problem. but backing up and looking at the issue in general, what does it mean when a previously suburban area develops a homeless population? does it mean the area is urbanized, the area is experiencing population growth? these are tough economic times and i'm sure that is a major part of the problem.

the reason i'm asking this is because i live in downtown alpharetta— and over the last two years we've noticed more and more homeless people around the area— for example, tonight we saw a man sleeping up under the eaves of an closed gas station in downtown alpharetta. i've seen people with grocery carts going up and down the road, and i recently gave a homeless man a few dollars outside of a gas station on windward. part of me wants to help these individuals out, but part of me sees this as the city of atlanta growing in size to the point that suburbanites can no longer ignore the problems of the region as if they're in their own little worlds. i hope that many of those who claim to be independent of the city of atlanta, the milton county promoters, tea partiers, etc. are sobered by these problems and maybe can decide to join the rest of the city in solving regional problems such as homelessness, rather than pretending it's not their problem since it's not in their immediate area.
Poverty in the suburbs has grown at twice the rate of the traditional city since the recession. This is no longer just an urban issue. Suburbs are not well equipped to handle the problem, eg: shelters & etc.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,243,171 times
I am writing this with little information, so please don't think I am some heartless jerk. I may just be ignorant about this topic.

I would imagine that the homeless you are seeing in Alpharetta have migrated up there via public transport. I would bet that 98%+ of those homeless folks never resided in Alpharetta or anywhere near it. These folk seem like they are very hard to help. I don't believe that they fell on hard times and are temporarily without a home. I would venture to guess that the majority of them made a choice not to participate in "the system" (i.e. be responsible and pay bills on time) or have some sort of mental problem.

So what do you do with folks like this? Well, if I was in some sort of position of power in Alpharetta, I would create a program where police or some sort of DFCS official talks to these people, checks see if there is any serious problems, notifies them of available programs to help, offers them a ride to whatever place can help, and then removes them from the city. Alpharetta is not helping these people by letting them be serial loiterers around town. They can do that in Atlanta.

I applaud and would donate money to groups that genuinely want to help homeless people out. And by help I mean help the homeless remove themselves from their situation, not just maintain their current homeless status. I don't have much sympathy for those that chose to remove themselves from the system and live on the street.

Don't know what to do about the homeless that have mental problems. I believe that is where the real discussion about homelessness comes in. Everything else is fairly simple.

I wish Atlanta had a way to help those who wanted it and removed those who don't.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
Quote:
I would create a program where police or some sort of DFCS official talks to these people, checks see if there is any serious problems, notifies them of available programs to help, offers them a ride to whatever place can help, and then removes them from the city. Alpharetta is not helping these people by letting them be serial loiterers around town. They can do that in Atlanta.
This is an issue that every city will have to face, not just the historic urban centers. You can't just remove the homeless and place them in Atlanta, wtf?! The increase in homelessness is related by the closing of state mental institutions decades ago. Now many people with mental illnesses end up in jail. Its hard for people like that to start over because of a record so they end up in a vicious cycle.
Quote:
I would imagine that the homeless you are seeing in Alpharetta have migrated up there via public transport.
Oh so no one in North Fulton was forced out of their homes? What an ignorant thing to say, that MARTA brought this element to Pleasantville.
I hope you or someone in your family never experiences this, because you are a cold hearted person.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,776,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The increase in homelessness is related by the closing of state mental institutions decades ago.
I agree in part. A majority of homeless individiuals are due to mental illness or substance abuse. Even if the homeless person has a loving family willing to take them in (and I have known some), they are often powerless to do so because the individual is an adult and they can't be forced to do something they don't agree to. You are naive to think it is easy to go and get a court order to take control of that persons affairs.

There has been much discussion about how the war on drugs is not working. If we spent half as much money as we do locking up criminals on treatment, we would see less homeless individuals.

Mental illness and substance abuse is not unique to the City of Atlanta, anyone you see in Alpharetta likely lived in a home in that area at some point.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,380,474 times
If I was homeless, I know where I'd go. And it wouldn't be a decaying urban core.

I'm kinda surprised Alpharetta PD hasn't kicked them out of the city yet, being the fine police farce that they are.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,573 times
When I lived in Gwinnett, there were homeless people there, too. There are homeless in small towns, not just big cities. Some of it has to do with drug abuse and bad decisions, and some of it is lack of jobs or lack of transportation to jobs.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,525 times
Most homeless in this country are that way due to mental illness, substance abuse, choice or a combination of those. It's getting harder for me to care about these people if they don't want to help themselves.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,380,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Most homeless in this country are that way due to mental illness, substance abuse, choice or a combination of those. It's getting harder for me to care about these people if they don't want to help themselves.
Luckily for you, the elected representatives feel exactly the same way

Of course, they make cuts to the programs that could help these people get back on their feet even if they wanted to help themselves, but hey... it would be a shame if anyone with money could spare a dime in taxes to pay for people that are down on their luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: