Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

She is definitely either mentally ill or on drugs, maybe both.

Well educated successful people don't just start shoplifting because they get divorced and lose their job.

It's probably the depression that got her more than anything, but I bet that the depression went untreated and developed into more severe mental illness or she took alcohol or drugs to try to cope.

Depression can cloud vision. It's easy for any of us to say so you got divorced and lost your job...that sucks, but hey, go out at wait tables. Go to bartending school and learn how to tend bar. Go to Manpower and get a temp job. These aren't prestigious things to do, but guess what? The alternative is ending up in a shelter with a criminal record, so get off your butt and go bust your butt to make ends meet. Eventually you'll be over the hump and things will get better.

You see, a normal person would think like this and this is why normal successful healthy people do not become homeless. They may become poor, they may become unhappy, but they don't end up on the street.

Homelessness just doens't happen unless you add drugs and/or mental illness into the mix. There are good programs to get people off drugs, but mental illness is unfortunately very misunderstood and incorrectly diagnosed. Even very well trained psychiatrists will generally just throw medication at it, which sometimes works but not always. It can be very difficult to have the time, discipline, or money to undergo congnitive behavioral therapy or even to find someone who can create an appropriate regimine for you....but it's the best way to control mental illness, either alone or combined with medication. Medication alone without any behavior modification is rarely effective. But it's the easy way, so it's what most people choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM

254 posts, read 419,359 times
The 1% live in Alpheretta, don't expect them to help the poor.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
She is definitely either mentally ill or on drugs, maybe both.

Well educated successful people don't just start shoplifting because they get divorced and lose their job.
I agree, but it's really wasn't that simple. Her situation was sort of a downward spiral and somehow she couldn't find the way to pull out.

We talked about it a lot and never figured out why that was the case. You are right that the rational person who loses their job and home and marriage will just buck up and figure out another way to live. In her case, she couldn't -- or at least didn't -- do so.

And it didn't happen all at once. She took a few jobs at first but they didn't last. She was broke and bounced around to friend's houses, including ours. She briefly dated a couple of guys who did not help the situation. Then it seemed like she was getting sort of sickly and her appearance started getting rough around the edges. She needed some dental work but didn't have the money to get it done.

And then she just dropped out of sight. Could have been drugs involved but I honestly don't think so. Several months later she called and wanted to borrow a few hundred bucks. We sent her money several times, but didn't expect to get it back. It was then that the scrapes with the law came to light. A very minor shoplifting incident. An incident where she got a job but got fired when they found out about the shoplifting charge.

Again I'm in no way defending this. Just saying that I can kind of see how it happened.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,919 times
Default Homelessness goes deeper than what you see

I live in Phoenix, Az. and homelessness is just apart of what our city has accepted and deals with by not dealing with it. Here we have two different types of homeless; one is that which I call the urban camper; the urban camper is the lost soul who has met misfortune and generally has some type of mental health issue as well as they more than likely are addicts of some sort as well. After a while of experiencing this in Life it becomes apart of them. They desensitize themselves to not having stablity, learn how to hussle what they need for the day, and pray they live another day. They sleep during the day and wander later in the day and into the night because it's safer. This has become a culture in our country. Due to the fact that we are not looking at other areas of Life that make a person become a liability for our communities. Alcohol, Meth, Bath Salts, Prescripton Drugs, & Herion play a VERY BIG role in the homeless inability to be a functioning citizen.

Then we have the second type; those that have become homeless due to our Bank system and the mishandling of billions of dollars. Wall Street gave our communities just that a population of people that are now living on the street behind store walls. This was due to lack of intergrity, honesty, and down right greed.

Everyone makes a difference in this area of life. Don't judge the homeless, look at what could have happened to this person for them to have to experience so much lack.

My husband and myself have a Life dedicated to helping the homeless and individuals with addictions of all types. Our passion is to change what we see in our communities. I encourage everyone to talk with your Government Officials to see how you can change this tragic disease that is sweeping our nation and effecting all of our communities. These are areas that need to be worked on: rehabilitate not incarcerate, rehabilitation serves that work on the problem of ones addiction and not just the symptoms, true effective education for children, areas where homeless can live within boundaries and not all over the place. These are just a few.

Like President R. Kennedy said " Don't ask what your country can do for you, Ask what can you do for your country.". Good Luck and God Bless everyone that takes on this challenge.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Then why don't I ever see homeless Mexicans? Do they know a secret?
Excellent point.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
You probably don't see homeless Democrats either.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar5 View Post
I live in Phoenix, Az. and homelessness is just apart of what our city has accepted and deals with by not dealing with it. Here we have two different types of homeless; one is that which I call the urban camper; the urban camper is the lost soul who has met misfortune and generally has some type of mental health issue as well as they more than likely are addicts of some sort as well. After a while of experiencing this in Life it becomes apart of them. They desensitize themselves to not having stablity, learn how to hussle what they need for the day, and pray they live another day. They sleep during the day and wander later in the day and into the night because it's safer. This has become a culture in our country. Due to the fact that we are not looking at other areas of Life that make a person become a liability for our communities. Alcohol, Meth, Bath Salts, Prescripton Drugs, & Herion play a VERY BIG role in the homeless inability to be a functioning citizen.

Then we have the second type; those that have become homeless due to our Bank system and the mishandling of billions of dollars. Wall Street gave our communities just that a population of people that are now living on the street behind store walls. This was due to lack of intergrity, honesty, and down right greed.

Everyone makes a difference in this area of life. Don't judge the homeless, look at what could have happened to this person for them to have to experience so much lack.

My husband and myself have a Life dedicated to helping the homeless and individuals with addictions of all types. Our passion is to change what we see in our communities. I encourage everyone to talk with your Government Officials to see how you can change this tragic disease that is sweeping our nation and effecting all of our communities. These are areas that need to be worked on: rehabilitate not incarcerate, rehabilitation serves that work on the problem of ones addiction and not just the symptoms, true effective education for children, areas where homeless can live within boundaries and not all over the place. These are just a few.

Like President R. Kennedy said " Don't ask what your country can do for you, Ask what can you do for your country.". Good Luck and God Bless everyone that takes on this challenge.

Ummmm....that was JFK---President JOHN F Kennedy. There never was a president Robert kennedy, that was John's brother......

Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM

The only homeless mexicans I have met are american mexicans ( I don't say this with any prejudice) as I am of mixed heritage. I am a real people person and from what I have experienced are again two things. As far as the Mexican & Am. Mexican population they are very family oriented.

The mexicans coming here looking for work are some of the hardest workers I have ever met. They take jobs that other homeless people won't. I am serious, my husband stopped and asked a caucasian homeless man with a "I will work for food" sign and offered him a job for the day, the guy asked how much will it pay, which was $85.00 for the job, he laughed and informed us that he makes more hustling with that sign in a couple of hours than we could pay him for the day. Now I met a young mexican gentleman who did odd jobs. He put up a fence for us that was very difficult. I drove by my store front and found him at 10 pm still working hard trying to get the gate to fit right. For the amount of money that we paid him I felt bad and felt for the heart and effort he put into the job I know I would have not done the job for that amount of money. He had a family to take care of and that young man was will to dig a ditch for a little of nothing to feed his family. That is why we don't see homeless mexicans.

Now please noone get the wrong idea that I am supporting something that I am not. What I support is the heart and spirit of all women and men. Just something to think about.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM

MMMMMMMMMM...... I have met some homeless Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: