Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 23,482 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering a relocation to Villa Rica/Douglasville area from south Fl. (Within driving distance to airport for work.)
I live in what I consider my dream home here in Fl. (Modest 200k 4 yrs ago)However, with the tax and insurance issues we have here I can no longer afford to live here. I am paying 600.00 / month just for Home insurance.
(7k/yr and four insurance companys later) Not to mention the tax increases that are exceeding 4500 / yr.
I can barely pay for my utilities anymore. The cost of everything tripled in a year and a half. Yet my salary has stayed the same. I'll never retire and send my son to college at this rate. HELP

Does anybody have anything to say about this area of Ga?
How are the schools? I have an elementary school age child.
Are there jobs? I need to make a fresh start.
Kens T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,117 times
I have only driven through Douglasville and never really experienced it. However, I can shed some light on the metro area job market:

http://www.gvaadvantis.com/filedownload.asp?id=272 (broken link)

The importance of a report like this is that you can roughly plot a map based on where all the high-profile jobs are located. From Douglasvill, I can see that the Downtown and the NorthWest (Cumberland) submarkets are the most accessible.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,296 times
Red face Re:Dville & Villa Rica Question

I moved to Villa Rica over 2 years ago and I truley enjoy living here. I found the housing market to very affordable. The mean range for houses is mid one hundred thousand to over five hundred thousand. Property taxes could be ~ $2K - $4K per year for a $160K - $300K house. Insurance rates are much less expensive than Florida (no hurricane destruction of property).
There is a lot of growth in the area thus new subdivisions are everywhere;retail development is also growing. The elementary schools are good. The high enrollment numbers are proof of the growth in the area. But I have yet to hear of plans to build more schools (my only concern!!!). The communities are family oriented with 30 minutes to 1 hr drive to access the metro activites. The job market is more diverse closer to the city. Douglasville/Villa Rica job market is more limited for higher salary jobs. The one thing you should know is Villa Rica lies in both Douglas County and Carroll County. The section in Douglas County is required to have all cars 3yr and older smogged each yr as a registration requirement. Also check out the website for Douglasville (www.celebratedouglascounty.com) and Villa Rica (www.villarica.org) (broken link).

I hope this helps!!

Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 PM

279 posts, read 471,649 times
you might want to look into peachtree city, it is south of the airport and has tons of pilots and airport employees living there, carpooling should be very easy. It is also very nice and mostly crime free.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Do any of you folks familiar with that part of GA know anything about Fairfield Plantation? My wife and I plan on taking a trip down there around the end of October in order to explore the general area.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
rich
A friend of mine lives there
If you let me know the specific information you are looking for I will ask him
karla

Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 23,482 times
Thanks everyone who answered. We will be comming to this area in Jan. to look around.
Kens T

Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 16,894 times
Good morning neighbor,
We lives in Naples and are in the same situation after 17 yrs , we just sold our house and went up last weekend to purchase another. We found a beautiful house, oh my goodness the price was awsome and the house is to die for with land. Im getting ready to post to see what the area is about. Please cross your fingers for our family because were going in blind. Take care and we hope you and your family do well. Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensT View Post
Hello,
I am considering a relocation to Villa Rica/Douglasville area from south Fl. (Within driving distance to airport for work.)
I live in what I consider my dream home here in Fl. (Modest 200k 4 yrs ago)However, with the tax and insurance issues we have here I can no longer afford to live here. I am paying 600.00 / month just for Home insurance.
(7k/yr and four insurance companys later) Not to mention the tax increases that are exceeding 4500 / yr.
I can barely pay for my utilities anymore. The cost of everything tripled in a year and a half. Yet my salary has stayed the same. I'll never retire and send my son to college at this rate. HELP

Kens T

Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,203 times
my mother in law lives in villa rica and loves it.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,649 times
Default Villa rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensT View Post
Hello,

Kens T
my dream home is in temple ga which is right down 20 from villa rica
taxes are about 400 a year and you can now pick up some homes in the douglasville area for under 20 thousand $....you need to look...I love it there and plan on relocating from nj w/in the next few months....you have to either go to atlanta or alphretta ga to work but I can almost make what I am making in nj....with less expenses....although car insurance is about the same...
I should be there the first on nov...and only 3 months of winter versus 5 months....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta