Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM

6 posts, read 28,490 times

Advertisements

We're looking for more house for the money. Would not mind a quiet setting but definitely not a "good ole boys" atmosphere. We are an interracial couple and I would like my child to be brought up in a diverse area with good schools. We noticed in Villa Rica there are new schools, stores, etc and the prices of the homes are pretty low. My husband is commuting to Marietta from Douglasville now and I will be looking for work soon. I have no idea where. Can anyone recommend or provide info for the following locations? Also, it would be nice to either live near Marietta or near I-20. Thanks!

Villa Rica
Douglasville,
Lithia Springs
Austell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi1993 View Post
We're looking for more house for the money. Would not mind a quiet setting but definitely not a "good ole boys" atmosphere. We are an interracial couple and I would like my child to be brought up in a diverse area with good schools. We noticed in Villa Rica there are new schools, stores, etc and the prices of the homes are pretty low. My husband is commuting to Marietta from Douglasville now and I will be looking for work soon. I have no idea where. Can anyone recommend or provide info for the following locations? Also, it would be nice to either live near Marietta or near I-20. Thanks!

Villa Rica
Douglasville,
Lithia Springs
Austell

If your husband will be commuting to Marietta, why did you chose Douglasville? I mean, I know you want more for the money, but that's so dang far! And Villa Rica is even further out 20 than Douglasville! Austell is ghetto, keep moving. Lithia Springs, maybe. I mean, you could get good housing prices in Acworth or Smyrna, and maybe even find a deal in Kennesaw, and be a lot more geographically convienant; then again, you didn't mention a price range. The places you listed have a very "rural" feel, and aren't super progressive, so I can't guarantee that they won't have a good ol' boys feel, especially Villa Rica and Douglasville.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
If you're looking for more diversity you will be fine in Douglasville. When I checked the deomographics I found that the African-American population there is around 30%. Also a couple of well-regarded school systems there. Lithia Springs where we live at now also seems nice and I would say has a good deal of diversity. Also I know that Lithia Springs is fairly convenient to Marietta without even travelling by highway depending on which area of Lithia Springs. I've been to two Doctor's over there and although the traffic was heavy on the thoroughfare I took there which was Austell Road the same can be said of about anywhere in this area. And of course both are directly accesible via 20.

I have no sense of a good ole boy atmosphere although I do see the confederate flags on vehicles pretty regularly but I expected that. Now Villa Rica is a bit West of Douglasville and I can't tell you much about there as Douglasville is about as far as we'll probably go. But I know what you're saying on the home prices out there as well.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
If you're looking for more diversity you will be fine in Douglasville. When I checked the deomographics I found that the African-American population there is around 30%. Also a couple of well-regarded school systems there. Lithia Springs where we live at now also seems nice and I would say has a good deal of diversity. Also I know that Lithia Springs is fairly convenient to Marietta without even travelling by highway depending on which area of Lithia Springs. I've been to two Doctor's over there and although the traffic was heavy on the thoroughfare I took there which was Austell Road the same can be said of about anywhere in this area. And of course both are directly accesible via 20.

I have no sense of a good ole boy atmosphere although I do see the confederate flags on vehicles pretty regularly but I expected that. Now Villa Rica is a bit West of Douglasville and I can't tell you much about there as Douglasville is about as far as we'll probably go. But I know what you're saying on the home prices out there as well.
Where can I go to find information on the school systems?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
If your husband will be commuting to Marietta, why did you chose Douglasville? I mean, I know you want more for the money, but that's so dang far! And Villa Rica is even further out 20 than Douglasville! Austell is ghetto, keep moving. Lithia Springs, maybe. I mean, you could get good housing prices in Acworth or Smyrna, and maybe even find a deal in Kennesaw, and be a lot more geographically convienant; then again, you didn't mention a price range. The places you listed have a very "rural" feel, and aren't super progressive, so I can't guarantee that they won't have a good ol' boys feel, especially Villa Rica and Douglasville.
It only takes him 30 minutes to commute to work because of the time he's on the road. We're looking at prices around 175k.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
Hi Mimi. One site that I found is www.greatschools.net

I've never used it but it seems to be fairly easy to navigate around.

Good luck and happy searching.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
For school information, I recommend the Georgia report card which can be found at
http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta