Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM

61 posts, read 189,566 times

Advertisements

Okay, looks like we are getting transferred down to Peachtree City after all. The problem is, after reading many Peachtree posts on here I am a bit worried. So many posts about "the bubble", "the better-than-others" mentality, the spoiled rotten rich kids and cliques at McIntosh, etc... and the Peyton Place reference. It all just makes me very nervous. Also, someone mentioned that there isn't much for teens to do in PTC but ride golf carts around and get into trouble. Can anyone give any insight on Tyrone? The schools on GreatSchools look like they're very good, maybe not as excellent as PTC schools. What other areas are within a close commute to PTC that we could consider? Any ideas?? What is Sharpsburg like? Thank you so much! I'm hoping Newsboy might chime in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac28 View Post
Okay, looks like we are getting transferred down to Peachtree City after all. The problem is, after reading many Peachtree posts on here I am a bit worried. So many posts about "the bubble", "the better-than-others" mentality, the spoiled rotten rich kids and cliques at McIntosh, etc... and the Peyton Place reference. It all just makes me very nervous. Also, someone mentioned that there isn't much for teens to do in PTC but ride golf carts around and get into trouble. Can anyone give any insight on Tyrone? The schools on GreatSchools look like they're very good, maybe not as excellent as PTC schools. What other areas are within a close commute to PTC that we could consider? Any ideas?? What is Sharpsburg like? Thank you so much! I'm hoping Newsboy might chime in!
Here I am! Tyrone is nice, as is Fayetteville. Both are immediately adjacent to PTC, so you can take advantage of all the amenities without paying PTC prices and still have a very short commute (Fayette County is NOT big). Though there's not a bad school in Fayette County, I think you might be happier in the Whitewater High School district, in South Fayetteville. This is a VERY nice area with a good mix of native locals (Georgians) and transplants from all over, unlike PTC which tends to be majority outsiders. But I wouldn't rule PTC out. You need to come see for yourself; a lot of your anxiety is probably unnecessary. It truly is a unique place, but not a bad place in the least. Just "different."

"Discover Life at 15 mph" in Peachtree City - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 PM

730 posts, read 828,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Here I am! Tyrone is nice, as is Fayetteville. Both are immediately adjacent to PTC, so you can take advantage of all the amenities without paying PTC prices and still have a very short commute (Fayette County is NOT big). Though there's not a bad school in Fayette County, I think you might be happier in the Whitewater High School district, in South Fayetteville. This is a VERY nice area with a good mix of native locals (Georgians) and transplants from all over, unlike PTC which tends to be majority outsiders. But I wouldn't rule PTC out. You need to come see for yourself; a lot of your anxiety is probably unnecessary. It truly is a unique place, but not a bad place in the least. Just "different."

"Discover Life at 15 mph" in Peachtree City - YouTube
it's crazy, but the ghetto chants are starting for fayette county high.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
it's crazy, but the ghetto chants are starting for fayette county high.
You're right -- it is crazy.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...s-atlanta.html

Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Teenagers in PTC are under the mistaken impression that PTC is a wealthy, upper class place. It's simply not. It's quite middle class in reality. Check out the American Community Survey income data: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com. Simply put, PTC's wealth and exclusivity is nothing compared to the north Atlanta suburbs.

Also, I'm not sure what there is to do in Tyrone that there isn't in PTC.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Teenagers in PTC are under the mistaken impression that PTC is a wealthy, upper class place. It's simply not. It's quite middle class in reality. Check out the American Community Survey income data: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com. Simply put, PTC's wealth and exclusivity is nothing compared to the north Atlanta suburbs.

Also, I'm not sure what there is to do in Tyrone that there isn't in PTC.
I agree my cousin looked at houses down there(he ended up buying in the Grady Cluster intown) and it was nice but not nice enough for what he was spending. He felt like he would be over spending there.

I have noticed every white exurb with mass produced houses is now "wealthy." Funny because I bet more families living in Va Highlands, Candler Park, etc. have higher net worths.

What north suburbs are you talking about? Because Milton, Forsyth, Johns Creek, etc. are not really wealthy. There are some people who are there but most have high incomes and low net worths.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Well, now we're talking about wealth in more of a precise way than I meant it. I just meant income/purchasing power--PTC is pretty meh in comparison with the northern suburbs in this regard. There's nothing remotely comparable to Old Alabama Road in Peachtree City.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Well, now we're talking about wealth in more of a precise way than I meant it. I just meant income/purchasing power--PTC is pretty meh in comparison with the northern suburbs in this regard. There's nothing remotely comparable to Old Alabama Road in Peachtree City.
Agreed that housing in PTC is mostly middle- to upper-middle class at best, with an average HH income in the $90,000 range, and pockets of the city border on being downright sketchy, in fact. But all of the neighborhoods off North Peachtree Parkway (Smokerise, Kedron Hills, North Cove, etc) have homes in the $1 million-plus range and are comparable to North Fulton. Those kids all feed into McIntosh High and are responsible for it having such an elitist, snobby reputation.

Starr's Mill High (which is actually in unincorporated Fayetteville) draws from the larger "working class" section of PTC (if you can call it that) but also pulls from some VERY exclusive neighborhoods along South Redwine Road, like High Grove and Whitewater Country Club. The "privilege" factor is about even I think. SMHS kids tend to be a little more grounded than those at MHS, but not by much.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM

61 posts, read 189,566 times
Thanks Newsboy! And all that replied. I have talked to a couple co-workers of my husband's down in Peachtree City and they told me that some of the stuff I mentioned is indeed true but there is a lot of really great things about PTC also. The hard part is that I can't try it out first. We're just going to move down there sight unseen for me which is very hard and anxiety-provoking. But hopefully things will work out well. I am relieved that it is mostly a middle to upper-middle class area and not wealthy. I hope my kids will like it. They are very sad about moving so I hope this is the right choice for us. Thank you everyone for your help! I would love to hear from any parents that have their kids in PTC schools.

We will probably live in Peachtree City itself but I did see more homes I liked in Tyrone online. Any more thoughts on that town? Is Sandy Creek High decent or is it better to stick with McIntosh or Starr's Mill?

Thank you!!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac28 View Post
Thanks Newsboy! And all that replied. I have talked to a couple co-workers of my husband's down in Peachtree City and they told me that some of the stuff I mentioned is indeed true but there is a lot of really great things about PTC also. The hard part is that I can't try it out first. We're just going to move down there sight unseen for me which is very hard and anxiety-provoking. But hopefully things will work out well. I am relieved that it is mostly a middle to upper-middle class area and not wealthy. I hope my kids will like it. They are very sad about moving so I hope this is the right choice for us. Thank you everyone for your help! I would love to hear from any parents that have their kids in PTC schools.

We will probably live in Peachtree City itself but I did see more homes I liked in Tyrone online. Any more thoughts on that town? Is Sandy Creek High decent or is it better to stick with McIntosh or Starr's Mill?

Thank you!!
WOW! I'm very proud of you for making this huge leap sight unseen after all the anxious questions you've asked on CD, but I doubt seriously you'll be disappointed. You're kids are gonn LOVE PTC! When is the move? Will you be renting first? That's a good idea and will give you time to become familiar with the area befor having to buy. Tyrone and Fayeteville both provide good options and as I said before, there's not a bad school in the county. Sandy Creek is a state football powerhouse and has a big JROTC progam if that makes a difference. Fayette County High is know for basketball and it's huge marching band. McIntosh and Starr's Mill are both known for soccer and lacrosse, Whitewater for drama etc ... if diversity is a concern, the schools in Fayetteville and Tyrone have a healthier mix than those in PTC.

Please keep me posted on the progress. Can't wait to hear what happens next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta