Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 37,005 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am thinking about transferring to the Atlanta airport for a better job but have never been there! What are the best places to live near the Airport? I have 3 children, 2 of which will be in school and I need a safe neighborhood but a short commute! Please help me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
You want to live in the city or suburb?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Fortunately for you, you can live anywhere near a MARTA rail line and the commute will be easy.

Off hand, I'd say live in North Fulton...Sandy Springs and north of it, and then commute to either North Springs, Sandy Springs, or Dunwoody...and take the train all the way to the airport.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Fortunately for you, you can live anywhere near a MARTA rail line and the commute will be easy.

Off hand, I'd say live in North Fulton...Sandy Springs and north of it, and then commute to either North Springs, Sandy Springs, or Dunwoody...and take the train all the way to the airport.
Exactly...I don't think most airport employees try to live nearby because of the great transit station that lets you out right inside the airport.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 PM

730 posts, read 827,661 times
the largest concentration of delta and airport workers is in fayette county. Like most places in the metro, it's suburban. Simply go straight up highway 314 until you hit the airport. i would avoid the nothern suburubs b/c the traffic will absolutely suck (unless you really due plan on taking MARTA - but even then that's got to be at least an hour ride from sandy springs - assuming there are no issues with the trains and that you are actually working inside the airport and not a hanger or office near it).

Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM

164 posts, read 375,332 times
Default Living Near the Airport

There is not much that I would consider desirable near the airport. The airport is an economic engine for Atlanta but it is located in a decaying portion of the city.

The nearby city of Hapeville has seen better days. It is not a ghetto, but there is not much new investment in the city. Once upon a time they had a Ford Plant that has since been torn down. Now Porsche has plans for a test track on that site... but nothing has happened on the ground yet. Virginia Ave and Central have most of the restaurants that cater to the 9-5 Delta & Airport employees. After 5pm though the city shuts down. The nicest and newest apartments are at 3640 s fulton ave hapeville ga. However, I cannot find any info on this place, so I am not sure what their status is. The portion of College Park west of the airport is similar to Hapeville, and there are some nice restaurants on Main Street and nice homes near Woodward Academy. East Point is not as nice as College Park, but there are some nicer pockets on Jefferson Ave. However, in general this entire area is economically depressed compared to the northern portion of Metro Atlanta or Delta Pilot City (aka Peachtree City).

Anything East of 75 from I-20 to I-285 and beyond is mostly ghetto (grant park and east Atlanta are respectable) and I would definitely avoid it. South of the airport is also bad. Old National Highway is scary.

If you have children, you will need to live south of the airport (Peachtree City/Newnan south on I-85 or Morrow/McDonough south on I-75) or north of the airport up I-285 (Smyrna/Vinings/Marietta). There are also some nice parts of Atlanta if you make decent money that you could consider, but you may have to send your children to private school as APS have a bed reputation. the best established neighborhoods that woudl make sense for airport commuting would include Morninsgisde/Lenox, Buckhead, Brookhaven,Virginia Highlands, Decatur, etc. If you really want to drive, the best parts of Atlanta are north of Atlanta and up towards Sandy Springs. I believe that Sandy Springs has the highest income per person in the state.

One of the realities of working at or near ATL airport is that you will have to commute 10-30 miles to work each way. The good part is that you may get a reverse commute if you choose wisely. Most people that work at the airport usually decide to live in Smyrna/Marietta or Newnan/Peachtree City.

Best of luck.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 PM

179 posts, read 325,250 times
The red is my addition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
The nicest and newest apartments are at 3640 s fulton ave hapeville ga. However, I cannot find any info on this place, so I am not sure what their status is. I looked at these apartments a couple of days ago. They used to be called Oxford Asbury Park, and now are called Bell Hartsfield. They're very nice inside, and the area around them doesn't look bad at night. I ultimately chose a different community because I wanted to be a little closer to off-work activities.

Anything East of 75 from I-20 to I-285 and beyond is mostly ghetto (grant park and east Atlanta are respectable) and I would definitely avoid it. South of the airport is also bad. Old National Highway is scary.
The apartment community I chose is in Grant Park, which looks like a decent area. The commute to the airport is fairly easy, only 15-20 minutes. It's close enough to shopping, midtown, etc., but far enough away to be relaxing and you don't have to be constantly battling midtown traffic.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
i don't mean to second guess here, but i don't want the OP getting bad information. there's no reason to have to live OTP because you have kids. college park and east point, the downtown areas, have gotten a lot nicer and many parts are safe late at night, and besides airport noise in the south part of college park, the neighbourhoods are very quiet. a lot of gay couples have moved in and restored homes in east point and college park, there are neat restaurants and such along main street in both college park and east point, and tri-cities high school (not in atlanta public schools) has an award winning theatrical group. the only thing about college park and east point is that it isn't constantly changing like the northern part of the city, there aren't new skyscrapers or big projects going up all of the time, it's relatively quiet. some folks like that.

as for commuting from sandy springs, the only way you're going to be able to do that is if you get on marta up there— it's going to be impossible to drive from there.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Anywhere in Fayette County, Stockbridge eagles landing, and Newnan are all great areas that are close to the airport.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
If you want decent public schools, consider areas of South Fulton, Coweta and Fayette county. It does depend a lot on your price point for housing. You will have to commute by car to the airport, the commutes from these areas are at least 30-45 minutes one way during most rush hours. Henry and Douglas counties are possibilities, but they are further out and some areas are hit or miss. Do some research on these areas online and you can narrow it down some before hunting for a place to live.

Use this post as a guide to provide more information: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ead-first.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta