Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Nice post researchnerd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
Thanks!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I don't like the heat and humidity. I've never thought about moving away because of it.

I have, however, thought about moving away because of the cold winters. This past winter was great and I didn't mind it at all. But the 2 winters before that were brutally cold and I tinkered with the idea of moving to Tampa or Orlando.

My logic was they are really hot and humid in the summer, but really not that much moreso than here. The advantage is you are guaranteed that you are never going to have deep freezes. So you put up with similary misery in the summer, maybe a little more, but you get reliably mild winters. Atlanta generally has mild winters, but it's definitely not reliable. Every 3rd or 4th winter here is brually cold. Sometimes, like 2010 and 2011, we get two of them in a row.

I guess I just don't like extremes in either direction. When it gets above 90 I start to get uncomfortable and when it gets below 40 I don't like it either. And also even though I get uncomfortable in the humidity, I need some degree of humidity because in the winter when it gets so dry I have to slather my entire body with lotion like a woman and put on Carmex lip balm all the time. If I don't, my skin will actually crack and bleed. I guess I'm just an overall wimp!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't like the heat and humidity. I've never thought about moving away because of it.

I have, however, thought about moving away because of the cold winters. This past winter was great and I didn't mind it at all. But the 2 winters before that were brutally cold and I tinkered with the idea of moving to Tampa or Orlando.

My logic was they are really hot and humid in the summer, but really not that much moreso than here. The advantage is you are guaranteed that you are never going to have deep freezes. So you put up with similary misery in the summer, maybe a little more, but you get reliably mild winters. Atlanta generally has mild winters, but it's definitely not reliable. Every 3rd or 4th winter here is brually cold. Sometimes, like 2010 and 2011, we get two of them in a row.

I guess I just don't like extremes in either direction. When it gets above 90 I start to get uncomfortable and when it gets below 40 I don't like it either. And also even though I get uncomfortable in the humidity, I need some degree of humidity because in the winter when it gets so dry I have to slather my entire body with lotion like a woman and put on Carmex lip balm all the time. If I don't, my skin will actually crack and bleed. I guess I'm just an overall wimp!
But you know that without having a true winter, you won't have the beautiful spring and fall. That's the saving grace for me - I can put up with the couple of unbearably hot months and the couple of frigid months because I know that spring/fall is around the corner.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 PM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:

...I guess I just don't like extremes in either direction. When it gets above 90 I start to get uncomfortable and when it gets below 40 I don't like it either...

Central Florida is over 90 degrees with over 90% humidity from the End of May until late October. People say they "love" it but will not leave their house for 8 months [Car to office building to car to home all in the AC]. The best part is the running/biking trails in the summer, pretty much EMPTY after 10am which works out for me.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:

You should then consider Miami. A move from Atlanta to a smaller, more regional cities like Orlando (despite being very touristy) or Tampa will suck anyway.

But Miami's climate is very good. The only major drawback is the increased risk of hurricanes. The summer's aren't any worse than here in Atlanta, partly due to the moderating effects of the ocean, partly due to the ocean breezes. The winters are however much warmer. Even Orlando and Tampa can experience some cold snaps the way Miami won't. Miami basically doesn't have a winter.

Miami is also very exciting, with the beach and the vibe of the city. Tampa is kind of sleepy, and feels like a retirement spot for the entire state of Michigan. Orlando is all about the mouse:great if you work in the tourist industry or are a little kid. But else it'll be a very boring and strange place to live, almost like Las Vegas.

EDIT:

You don't have to leave Georgia. Savannah is significantly warmer in the winter than Atlanta and usually avoids those extremes you mentioned.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Central Florida is over 90 degrees with over 90% humidity from the End of May until late October. People say they "love" it but will not leave their house for 8 months [Car to office building to car to home all in the AC]. The best part is the running/biking trails in the summer, pretty much EMPTY after 10am which works out for me.
Part of the problem is AC, people get used to it. I deliberately leave mine off, and haven't found this summer (here in Atlanta) to be uncomfortable at all. But when I show up to work, or go to a restaurant (heavy AC) I find it cold, but then when I step outside: hot. It's a stupid way to adjust to the temps. 90s won't kill you. Just dress appropriately.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
You should then consider Miami. A move from Atlanta to a smaller, more regional cities like Orlando (despite being very touristy) or Tampa will suck anyway.

But Miami's climate is very good. The only major drawback is the increased risk of hurricanes. The summer's aren't any worse than here in Atlanta, partly due to the moderating effects of the ocean, partly due to the ocean breezes. The winters are however much warmer. Even Orlando and Tampa can experience some cold snaps the way Miami won't. Miami basically doesn't have a winter.

Miami is also very exciting, with the beach and the vibe of the city. Tampa is kind of sleepy, and feels like a retirement spot for the entire state of Michigan. Orlando is all about the mouse:great if you work in the tourist industry or are a little kid. But else it'll be a very boring and strange place to live, almost like Las Vegas.

EDIT:

You don't have to leave Georgia. Savannah is significantly warmer in the winter than Atlanta and usually avoids those extremes you mentioned.
The major drawback in Miami isnt hurricanes. The major drawback is that it has a horrible quality of life. Just the opinion of a former resident.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The major drawback in Miami isnt hurricanes. The major drawback is that it has a horrible quality of life. Just the opinion of a former resident.
I hear this complaint a lot that jobs don't match the COL down there. It does help if you speak Spanish, there can be a glass ceiling in Miami in areas like business without that language. It's afterall a Latin American hub. But the guy can move to Ft. Lauderdale and avoid most of that. I personally prefer Miami.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I totally agree - as a former resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta