Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,849,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofjwp View Post

For example, just south of the neighborhood mentioned by me above, is a new Kroger. It's very busy and vibrant. Some people even "hang out" there in the parking lot after partaking in it's offerings, such as lottery tickets and mixed drinks.
Kroger sells mixed drinks now? Yahtzee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,166,595 times
Sutton Middle School does not have metal detectors.

At least it didn't in 2009.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,226,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I do not see anything wrong with metal detectors in public schools. I believe all APS middle and high schools have metal detectors? Are cell phones not allowed in all APS?

I would send my child to an APS any day over Cobb, Forsyth, or Gwinnett.

According to so many people Coan is ghetto but, those students did not look ghetto in my opinion.

The photo gallery seems a bit racist in my opinion. And by the way I do not believe the Trayvon Martin shooting was racist.(so I am not one to call racism around)
I wonder what they'll do when people can afford 3D printers to print plastic weapons.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,050,933 times
Almost all of the high profile school shootings from the late 90's and early 2000's were in the suburbs or exurbs. Not saying that it can't happen in urban school systems, but looking at the location of those school shootings display the facts that most happened in suburban or exurban school systems.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,914,964 times
Honestly I agree that I would not see it as a bad thing. Like what was mentioned above, usually high profile school incidents happen in the burbs where they don't have security measures in place because they are "safe" just because of the county or whatever. I remember seeing random amateur videos shot by students on local news channels here taping fights and incidents between students on buses and in school. All of them were in the burbs. It would make sense to spend money to keep kids safe.

I do see it as a slight bias toward APS and I am equally shocked the Gwinnett does not have security measures in place as I remember fights shown on the news from Gwinnett that were taped by students.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM

738 posts, read 1,384,744 times
Why is the first day of school even news? Happens every year.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:55 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,701,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Almost all of the high profile school shootings from the late 90's and early 2000's were in the suburbs or exurbs. Not saying that it can't happen in urban school systems, but looking at the location of those school shootings display the facts that most happened in suburban or exurban school systems.
Wow CD is strict with rep pints.

It is funny that everybody wants to live in JC or Duluth because their kids cannot go to school with urban people. They all think urban people are hoodlums but, look at where it really happens. I am not shocked it happens more in the exurbs.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM

32,072 posts, read 37,094,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly I agree that I would not see it as a bad thing. Like what was mentioned above, usually high profile school incidents happen in the burbs where they don't have security measures in place because they are "safe" just because of the county or whatever.
Man, I would hate it if I were a school administrator and I didn't use metal detectors and then some incident occurred.

I can just hear the parents and the reporters and the lawyers, "Did you do anything whatsoever to protect your students? Don't you read the newspapers?? What on earth were you thinking, if anything at all!?!"

Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,226,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Isn't that where most schools are located these days? I suspect many urban districts are better prepared for it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta