Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,325,551 times

Advertisements

Well let's see... If I wanted to find out who my Commissioner in Dekalb County is so that I can tell that person that he/she is a lazy corrupt douchebag and that I will do everything in my power to fire their behinds, this is what I would do.

1. Google "Dekalb County Board of Commissioners"

2. Board of Commissioners

3. Find out when the meetings are. Board of Commissioners

4. Look up the list of contacts. Board of Commissioners

5. Another nifty way to find your elected official. FAQ

And as an extra bonus, how to form a Super-PAC so that you can properly raise money/political capital; that way you can find a person willing to run so that you can chase the current crooked SOB out of office and install your own SOB.

How to Start a Super PAC

And that's how I would go after my elected official should he/she fail to properly serve my best interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good points, Snake.

What's the best way to do that, by the way?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-03-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM

32,049 posts, read 36,957,743 times
Snake, thank you so much.

I'd hate to be a politician and have you coming after me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Well let's see... If I wanted to find out who my Commissioner in Dekalb County is so that I can tell that person that he/she is a lazy corrupt douchebag and that I will do everything in my power to fire their behinds, this is what I would do.

1. Google "Dekalb County Board of Commissioners"

2. Board of Commissioners

3. Find out when the meetings are. Board of Commissioners

4. Look up the list of contacts. Board of Commissioners

5. Another nifty way to find your elected official. FAQ

And as an extra bonus, how to form a Super-PAC so that you can properly raise money/political capital; that way you can find a person willing to run so that you can chase the current crooked SOB out of office and install your own SOB.

How to Start a Super PAC

And that's how I would go after my elected official should he/she fail to properly serve my best interests.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM

113 posts, read 312,067 times
This whole WalMart situation is a joke. It symbolizes everything that is wrong with Atlanta. Just give the key to developers like Sembler to pave over the city with sprawl and generic, big box style developments that are completely out of sync with the surrounding region.

Clearly existing roads like Piedmont and Lindbergh and Sidney Marcus can't handle a development like this because they're already jammed at all hours, but Sembler apparently doesn't like to do traffic studies and neither does the city. It also makes no sense to have a WalMart when you already have a Target there, which sells exactly the same items as WalMart at higher quality.

The city is so desperate to put every piece of property in Buckhead on the tax rolls. Buckhead has the least amount of park space in the entire city. I have to drive 15 minutes to go to a park, but I'm guessing a park is the last thing on the minds of the city leaders developing this property. A nice park showcase could have easily been built on the east side of Piedmont at Garson, but instead what we're left with is a series of ugly apartment buildings that took about 5 years to fill
because of the recession. And don't even get me started on the Passion City Church on Garson. Instead of building something the whole neighborhood could use, like a grocery store or a bookstore or even a movie theater, let's build another church, even though we already have about 20 in Buckhead. Let's build a church that only appeals to a certain segment of the population, that's only used 1 day a week, instead of building something everyone could benefit from.

It just seems like the city is clueless on so many levels. They would rather work to open a generic WalMart, which does nothing but bring traffic and bad McJobs, and let an Atlanta institution like The Varsity close at Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh, over a minor issue like an extra driveway. Every time I drive by that abandoned, boarded up building, I get so disgusted at the city for letting it close.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,253,575 times
What does a Walmart at Lindbergh station have to do with sprawl??? As far as traffic goes, in a true urban setting, a CITY, which is where Lindbergh is located, the city of Atlanta, there will be traffic. That whole Sidney Marcus/Piedmont areae was purpose built for mixed use. I do not argue FOR a Walmart in that locale but to say that the "Mcjobs" and traffic are dire is BS. If they bring jobs that is some sort of a plus. The Home Depot, Dump and Target have not overrun that are with traffic as far as I have seen. The lounges and restaraunts that are opened there havent either. As far as Passion City Church, I havent really heard about it but where is it stated that it only serves a certain demographic? A lot of the churches in Buckhead on Peachtree could have the same said for them also....I guess people congregate where they want to. IDK. There are only a small contengent of folks speaking out against having a Walmart for that area but I wonder what the people who actually bought condos over there think.....

Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,556,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
What does a Walmart at Lindbergh station have to do with sprawl??? As far as traffic goes, in a true urban setting, a CITY, which is where Lindbergh is located, the city of Atlanta, there will be traffic. That whole Sidney Marcus/Piedmont areae was purpose built for mixed use. I do not argue FOR a Walmart in that locale but to say that the "Mcjobs" and traffic are dire is BS. If they bring jobs that is some sort of a plus. The Home Depot, Dump and Target have not overrun that are with traffic as far as I have seen. The lounges and restaraunts that are opened there havent either. As far as Passion City Church, I havent really heard about it but where is it stated that it only serves a certain demographic? A lot of the churches in Buckhead on Peachtree could have the same said for them also....I guess people congregate where they want to. IDK. There are only a small contengent of folks speaking out against having a Walmart for that area but I wonder what the people who actually bought condos over there think.....
It's another big box, big parking lot suburban related store opening up in an area that is already half urban and trying to become more urban. The stores on Piedmont near Lindberg that already are a bit suburban are one story, but when you're trying to become more urban, how does adding a store that will be even more spread out than those and with even more parking to store ratio help the urban atmosphere? Traffic isn't the only issue here, even though I'm sure it must be annoying for some people travelling through there, it's also annoying for those of us who take a bus or the train there and want to walk to something and then only to have to walk through acres of parking space just to get to a store...if it does open I wouldn't bother going to it anyway.

I'm sorry you don't see it, but building a Walmart at Lindberg is sort of like building a 50 story tower in Hartwell, Ga.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,325,551 times
Has anyone thought to talk to Sam Masell about this stuff? Isn't he the unofficial "Mayor of Buckhead"?

Buckhead Coalition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
This whole WalMart situation is a joke. It symbolizes everything that is wrong with Atlanta. Just give the key to developers like Sembler to pave over the city with sprawl and generic, big box style developments that are completely out of sync with the surrounding region.

Clearly existing roads like Piedmont and Lindbergh and Sidney Marcus can't handle a development like this because they're already jammed at all hours, but Sembler apparently doesn't like to do traffic studies and neither does the city. It also makes no sense to have a WalMart when you already have a Target there, which sells exactly the same items as WalMart at higher quality.

The city is so desperate to put every piece of property in Buckhead on the tax rolls. Buckhead has the least amount of park space in the entire city. I have to drive 15 minutes to go to a park, but I'm guessing a park is the last thing on the minds of the city leaders developing this property. A nice park showcase could have easily been built on the east side of Piedmont at Garson, but instead what we're left with is a series of ugly apartment buildings that took about 5 years to fill
because of the recession. And don't even get me started on the Passion City Church on Garson. Instead of building something the whole neighborhood could use, like a grocery store or a bookstore or even a movie theater, let's build another church, even though we already have about 20 in Buckhead. Let's build a church that only appeals to a certain segment of the population, that's only used 1 day a week, instead of building something everyone could benefit from.

It just seems like the city is clueless on so many levels. They would rather work to open a generic WalMart, which does nothing but bring traffic and bad McJobs, and let an Atlanta institution like The Varsity close at Cheshire Bridge and Lindbergh, over a minor issue like an extra driveway. Every time I drive by that abandoned, boarded up building, I get so disgusted at the city for letting it close.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,983,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post

I'm sorry you don't see it, but building a Walmart at Lindberg is sort of like building a 50 story tower in Hartwell, Ga.
Hey now, why do you have to bring my hometown into this??

Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,360,603 times
Yeah... because a Wal-Mart would be so much different than The Dump, Target, Best Buy, etc. already in that area.

Some people just get extra butthurt over Wal-Mart.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 PM

32,049 posts, read 36,957,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Yeah... because a Wal-Mart would be so much different than The Dump, Target, Best Buy, etc. already in that area.

Some people just get extra butthurt over Wal-Mart.
The opposition isn't to Walmart.

It's about putting a humongous parking lot with a humongous big box in the midst of an area set aside for TOD. You can't do that without throwing out the existing land use policy and the zoning.

Wouldn't matter whether it's Loews or Walmart or whoever.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,182,811 times
They've got a Target right nearby. Why do they need a Wal-Mart as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta