Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So is Atlanta a big city or not? Is Houston or Dallas Big cities?
YOU are ridiculous... I bet people don't like being around you...

OF COURSE Atlanta is a big city... Again, it still is simply Atlanta. Can't go to Atlanta expecting Philly because they're both "big cities." It's not like other cities. It is what it is... BUT that's the last I'm going to waste my time with explaining something so far off subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM

87 posts, read 107,040 times
Why do you have to move with him to Atlanta right now? Are you afraid he's going to stray? Then both of you aren't ready to get married. Let him get established down here and visit him every so often.

Finish your degree first before you think about moving for a guy. At least then if things fall apart, you aren't completely screwed. And if you're about to turn 22 and you're not 1 semester away from graduating, obviously you were never going to get a good finance job in New York, and out-of-state tuition at Tech and UGA are expensive. You don't want to get a degree from a second or third tier public school, especially if you're coming from a good university in New York.

Finish your degree before you think about moving. A degree in hand is worth far more than a ring on a finger.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM

9 posts, read 21,641 times
Please people. I don't think she needs any life lessons or counselors right now. Let the girl live her life. If she wants to pick up and move with her boyfriend let her do it. She is young with no attachments, I assume. So if it doesn't work out she can pack her suitcase and fly right back to New York. One thing I have learned is despite anyone's objections and/or advice, you can't get in the way of two people who are in love and you can't stop someone from doing what they want to do.

First and foremost they both are too young to be thinking about marriage. How many 21 year old kids have you known that were really settled in their lives, matured enough to get all the partying, cheating, arguing (stresses of a relationship) out of their system before they were ready to settle down? None that I've known and if you did find someone more than likely it was the female who was ready (at least she thought she was) and the male wasn't.

I think this topic has gotten way off course and has completely deterred from the true question? Where should she move that is comfortable for her. The moderator of this topic messed up by divulging too much information. You should have kept the question really simple and not exposed some of your personal business to strangers.

Moderator, if you are reading this, make a decision for yourself. If you feel comfortable relocating than you have every liberty to do so. It's your life and only you know what is best for you. Live your life but stop being stereotypical. Just go into this situation with an open mind. **If there are typos throughout my post I apologize. Typing from my phone and I am not going back to edit this.**

Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Doesn't matter if it's UES Manhattan or LA or SF -- if you have only ever lived in one place your whole life, moving across the country WILL be culture shock at first. Heck, I moved 50 miles last fall and I'm still adjusting.

On top of the distance, the move from North to South is also an adjustment - I made that move myself in 1994. I was born in NYC and raised in Boston, and even after 18 years I still can't tolerate summer in the south. But the rest of the year makes up for it, so I deal. And culturally, people are a lot different. Southern kindness is famous for a reason, and it can make you feel loved and welcomed or it can feel overly formal and conservative. It is what it is, neither better nor worse, just different. Try not to be shocked the first time the grocery bagger calls you "ma'am"; he thinks he's being polite and respectful.

I highly recommend you come visit Atlanta for a long weekend at least. Take the time to drive around to different areas, get the vibe, see if you feel comfortable. You may find that you gravitate naturally towards one part or another, and at least you'll have a frame of reference.

Nobody can make this decision for you. You're young and resilient, and as a student and a bartender you have skills to support you and an education in progress. You will have no trouble meeting people and making connections. On the other hand, if you have close local family ties you may feel isolated and alone here. If you're feeling adventurous and have a plan B, though, it could be a lot of fun. Best wishes, whatever you decide!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I was born in NYC and raised in Boston, and even after 18 years I still can't tolerate summer in the south. But the rest of the year makes up for it, so I deal.
For what it's worth, I was born here and I can't stand hot weather either. Not that summer isn't brutal in NYC too, but we try to head for the mountains during August and September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta