Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,431,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I've always thought they should do away with the undergrad business major. Get your undergrad in something else...anything really...then do your MBA.
They couldn't have an athletic program of any respectable caliber if they did that. 99% of the athletes are management majors.

For non-athletes, yeah that program doesn't get you much compared to the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,686,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
They couldn't have an athletic program of any respectable caliber if they did that. 99% of the athletes are management majors.

For non-athletes, yeah that program doesn't get you much compared to the others.
agreed, though my few MGT friends have done very well.

M-train

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,144,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

I meant that in general...for all colleges and universities.

In the past that would have killed Tech athletics although I've heard of people getting a Bachelor in General Studies degree at other schools.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,354,900 times
Quote:
I meant that in general...for all colleges and universities.

In the past that would have killed Tech athletics although I've heard of people getting a Bachelor in General Studies degree at other schools.
Some of the degrees that are offered out there are truly shocking. The Management (now Business Administration) major at GT is actually pretty darn good. I graduated from there back in 2005 and have made a very nice career for myself with it as have most of my peers. I'm currently getting my MBA and see a ton of overlap in the material. If I had it to do over again, I would've stayed in Engineering and buckled down a bit more.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Some of the degrees that are offered out there are truly shocking. The Management (now Business Administration) major at GT is actually pretty darn good. I graduated from there back in 2005 and have made a very nice career for myself with it as have most of my peers. I'm currently getting my MBA and see a ton of overlap in the material. If I had it to do over again, I would've stayed in Engineering and buckled down a bit more.
I don't think General Studies is a bad degree. It's sort of like the course of study you did in High School. It's more well rounded. Besides, very little you learn in college (including GT) do you use in the real world.

If you do a business undergrad then you get it again as an MBA. Although, if you do get a Management...er...Business Administration undergrad degree from Tech...you probably should go somewhere else for the MBA. That'll give different profs and hopefully new and different perspectives.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,354,900 times
Quote:
I don't think General Studies is a bad degree. It's sort of like the course of study you did in High School. It's more well rounded. Besides, very little you learn in college (including GT) do you use in the real world.

If you do a business undergrad then you get it again as an MBA. Although, if you do get a Management...er...Business Administration undergrad degree from Tech...you probably should go somewhere else for the MBA. That'll give different profs and hopefully new and different perspectives.
Ideally I would've switched schools, but I had to find an evening program to go to as I am still employed full time. It came down to Emory, GT and GSU. All are ranked pretty similarly for evening programs. I ruled out GSU because while it is good, it has a regional reputation. I ruled out Emory because of the cost and since I am using my 9/11 GI Bill benefit, I would've owed close to $40,000 out of pocket. I'm getting my MBA from GT while paying nothing out of pocket, while maintaining full time employment. That really was too good of a deal to pass up. I have only had one professor in the MBA program that I had as an undergrad, so that is a good thing.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
agreed, though my few MGT friends have done very well.

M-train

I don't think those library clocks have worked in years. And that library building is the worst to study in. But I've heard the new Clough Commons is nice.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
Quote:
I've always thought they should do away with the undergrad business major. Get your undergrad in something else...anything really...then do your MBA.
Well, I disagree here. Some with just a UG bus degree do just fine and get industry expertise in one area. It's the back to back doubling up of BBA/MBA at great schools that isn't the best of scenarios. I agree that the MBA should be preceded by something else, and that it is usually best in conjunction with industry experience (CE, CS,actuary, etc.) that you plan to further.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, I disagree here. Some with just a UG bus degree do just fine and get industry expertise in one area. It's the back to back doubling up of BBA/MBA at great schools that isn't the best of scenarios. I agree that the MBA should be preceded by something else, and that it is usually best in conjunction with industry experience (CE, CS,actuary, etc.) that you plan to further.
I've heard some business/industry people say of college graduates that they can teach them all they need to know about business. I guess they want someone who has a skill other than being a professional businessman. Nothing I hate more that being managed by a professional manager who can't contribute to a project. A good example is hiring a manager who isn't tech savvy to manage an IT department.

Make managerial positions more professional by starting off at the Master's level. Stuff like accounting can be at the Bachelor's level.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
Quote:
I've heard some business/industry people say of college graduates that they can teach them all they need to know about business. I guess they want someone who has a skill other than being a professional businessman. Nothing I hate more that being managed by a professional manager who can't contribute to a project. A good example is hiring a manager who isn't tech savvy to manage an IT department.

Make managerial positions more professional by starting off at the Master's level. Stuff like accounting can be at the Bachelor's level.
Unfortunately, it's a sorry-a$$ problem, and I agree with you. There are a couple of things at work: (1) credential jealousy, (2) companies that still respect time with the company rather than more updated knowledge, and (3) people that get ahead with their looks/bullshyte. I have a friend, a BSME with a PE, that works for a state agency who, along with another group of people, reported to a woman (not the issue) without a degree (the issue). She was evidently attractive and a climber. The job descriptions should be drawn to shut out people like that. I also know of a major Atlanta company where my friend, an Emory MBA, had to report to a male without a degree, but a "gold watch." Because his tenure held more credence over her higher level of intellect and ability, she moved on. Sad. Bring on the college educated people from good schools and with good grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: