Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Is it called an MBA or a Master's in Industrial Management or something like that, with more of an engineering slant? Just curious. Have a friend that has hers from Emory and it was pretty traditional.
It's an MBA. It used to be called something else but GT asked the BOR to let them call it the more familiar "MBA". Guess employers were confused by its former name. I don't know when they dropped the "Industrial Management" name. All they have now that is industrial is Industrial Engineering and Industrial Design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's an MBA. It used to be called something else but GT asked the BOR to let them call it the more familiar "MBA". Guess employers were confused by its former name. I don't know when they dropped the "Industrial Management" name. All they have now that is industrial is Industrial Engineering and Industrial Design.
Is Industrial Engineering in Engineering or in the Business School? Seems like more of a business occupation, when all is said and done.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Is Industrial Engineering in Engineering or in the Business School? Seems like more of a business occupation, when all is said and done.
Engineering but it's called Industrial and Systems Engineering now. It's between engineering and management. They do a lot of quality control, optimization, logistics, linear programming (it's mathematics, not computer programming), and other statistical studies.

The running joke at GT was, as your GPA goes down, you go from Engineering -> IE (imaginary engineering) -> Management. The management degree was as low as you could go. But now they have things like International Affairs, Public Policy, Science Technology & Culture (STAC), History Techology & Society (HTS).

So if you can't cut it in engineering, science, or architecture....you can still fake it and get a Tech degree.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
"Real World" work experience probably counts a lot too.
Yes! More than people realize--especially for the MBA. I have always heard that MBA programs really look for this--and prefer people with 5+ years of working experience (with a minimum of 3 years). However, I have also heard that full-time programs have actually trended "younger" (student population) in recent years due to the fact that most people now with real work experience are way more likely to go for executive or part-time MBA programs.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Georgia Tech's MBA use to be called an MSM.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Yeah, my buddy got his there and just recently finished his PhD. We lived together back during his MBA and it was full of non-GT caliber kids with 4.0's from A-B schools. I was in the low 2's from GT so I probably don't have a shot.
I'm kind of in the same boat. Graduated with a 2.x which makes it hard for me, however I checked and there are no hard GPA requirements in the MBA school as far as I could tell, so if you have a good work record and high test scores I think you can still try.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
So if you can't cut it in engineering, science, or architecture....you can still fake it and get a Tech degree.
Arch. is more of an endurance test than it is technical, even at GT, based on some local practitioners I know.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes! More than people realize--especially for the MBA. I have always heard that MBA programs really look for this--and prefer people with 5+ years of working experience (with a minimum of 3 years). However, I have also heard that full-time programs have actually trended "younger" (student population) in recent years due to the fact that most people now with real work experience are way more likely to go for executive or part-time MBA programs.
One of the reasons some (certainly not all, and perhaps not most) MBAs are clueless in matters not related to business concepts. Not enough experience. Five years doesn't mean much in many industries.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Arch. is more of an endurance test than it is technical, even at GT, based on some local practitioners I know.
Yes...you could say that. They stay up for days working on their projects. You have to be truly committed to stay in the program. I'm sure most entering students would assure you they are committed but they have no idea.

The same is true for CS, or at least it was. They would program for days...I should know.

The other programs I mentioned are the "safety net" programs to keep GT's retention rate up and to possibly attract more women. More subjective stuff and mixing liberal arts with technology. They even have a Music Technology program. I know someone in the program but really she ought to be at a liberal arts school...but like the others she wants that "Tech degree".

This is the sort of research music technology does

Haile, the interactive robot drummer - YouTube

oooookaaaay!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
One of the reasons some (certainly not all, and perhaps not most) MBAs are clueless in matters not related to business concepts. Not enough experience. Five years doesn't mean much in many industries.
I've always thought they should do away with the undergrad business major. Get your undergrad in something else...anything really...then do your MBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: