Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,079,491 times

Advertisements

By reading this forum, you'd think Dekalb county is an oasis of liberal thought. Decatur, Kirkwood, Inman Park (that's Dekalb, too, right?).....

So how come a county that houses such environmental and social friendly people has one of the worst animal shelters around?

It looks like they are finally doing something about it, which is good. Gwinnett county decided to build a new animal shelter a few years ago and they did a good job with it. They also have a pretty progressive adoption policy. I think the way it works is that if you find an animal you want, you tell the shelter and they fill out all the paperwork and charge you the fee, then they fix your animal and you come pick it up later or the next day. The point is, animals are not allowed out of the building until they are fixed.

Why is this so difficult? You don't have to fix the animals until someone has already agreed to adopt and paid for it, so it's not like you're losing any money. No animal should ever be allowed out of a shelter without being fixed because too many people just won't do it

Dekalb residents, are you happy that someone finally did something and you may get a modernized shelter? At the very least they are putting air conditioning in the old one....I can't believe it didn't have it before!

DeKalb promises changes at ‘chamber of horrors' animal shelter *| ajc.com

And btw, if you have a pet, where did you get it?

I got my dog from the Atlanta Humane Society. She came spayed, microchipped, with a 30 day health guarantee, and a guarantee to be accepted back for a full year if the situation didn't work out for any reason. All for $150. I thought it was a sweet deal and she is a great dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,779,818 times
I am totally for rescuing and NOT buying pets. My cat Monique was found in a trash can when she was 5 weeks old and about 2lbs. She is now 18 years old and 12lbs

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,385,280 times
The last dog I adopted came from the Atlanta animal shelter. IT was run by Southern Hope at the time.
Best $83 I ever spent.
They don't fix the pets there either until you adopt one. Or at least, they didn't. It's run by a different organization now so that might have changed.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,316,074 times
Where did you get that impression?

Also, what makes you think that a couple of small communities can influence the actions of a whole county? And what makes you think that because the government of Dekalb county doesn't have as proper a handle on its animal control situation that it should have, that somehow it makes the whole county flawed?

This county has had to continually deal with an unfriendly state legislature that practically stole a Community Improvement District paid for by all from it(when Dunwoody as a city was created), had dealt with an unsuccessful fight to stop cellphone towers from being built in schoolyards, and then to add insult to injury have turncoat traitorous local state legislators like Mike Jacobs who consistently stab Dekalb county and Metropolitan Atlanta in the back at every opportunity.

Anytime an issue that affects Dekalb County even shows up on this thread 9 times out of 10 you will have the usual "conservatives" and moderates who will find some way to bash it. Liberal impression my ascot.

So even after all the issues Dekalb County has on its plate, you are of the opinion that because a couple of dogs aren't treated as well as they should be by the local municipal shelter, the whole county must be filled with cavemen? Pretty unfair outlook if you ask me, given all of the extenuating circumstances and misfortunes that have befallen Dekalb County and the greater Metro Atlanta area for the last 10 or so years.

Sometimes I just don't get you one-issue Willies. Whether it's the animal right issues, abortion, or what-have-you...Y'all with only focus on your pet-issues to the exclusion of any other outside factors that may affect them. Dekalb County's government simply doesn't have an infinite well of money from which to tap, and when you have people hell-bent on starting up new cities at the drop of a dime, that totally screws up the process by which Dekalb doles out its fiscal resources.

Maybe if you guys would stop hiding when the fights to stop kids from being exposed to a highly concentrated level of radiation are going on, maybe the great citizens of Dekalb county will have more breathing room to deal with your precious canines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
By reading this forum, you'd think Dekalb county is an oasis of liberal thought. Decatur, Kirkwood, Inman Park (that's Dekalb, too, right?).....

So how come a county that houses such environmental and social friendly people has one of the worst animal shelters around?

It looks like they are finally doing something about it, which is good. Gwinnett county decided to build a new animal shelter a few years ago and they did a good job with it. They also have a pretty progressive adoption policy. I think the way it works is that if you find an animal you want, you tell the shelter and they fill out all the paperwork and charge you the fee, then they fix your animal and you come pick it up later or the next day. The point is, animals are not allowed out of the building until they are fixed.

Why is this so difficult? You don't have to fix the animals until someone has already agreed to adopt and paid for it, so it's not like you're losing any money. No animal should ever be allowed out of a shelter without being fixed because too many people just won't do it

Dekalb residents, are you happy that someone finally did something and you may get a modernized shelter? At the very least they are putting air conditioning in the old one....I can't believe it didn't have it before!

DeKalb promises changes at ‘chamber of horrors' animal shelter *| ajc.com

And btw, if you have a pet, where did you get it?

I got my dog from the Atlanta Humane Society. She came spayed, microchipped, with a 30 day health guarantee, and a guarantee to be accepted back for a full year if the situation didn't work out for any reason. All for $150. I thought it was a sweet deal and she is a great dog.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-21-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
And what makes you think that because the government of Dekalb county doesn't have handle on its animal control situation that somehow it makes the whole county flawed?
Where did I say that?

In all honesty, I do think Dekalb county is flawed....but I didn't indicate that anywhere in this thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,316,074 times
Yes, you did.

Quote:
Where did I say that?

In all honesty, I do think Dekalb county is flawed....but I didn't indicate that anywhere in this thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Where?????

Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,853,168 times
Quote:
I've never thought of DeKalb as a wellspring of liberal ideas.

Be that as it may, I'm mighty glad to see them get a new animal shelter. All our dogs have always been mutts like me and they are totally awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta