Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM

18 posts, read 121,657 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...hoping I can get a lil more help from the city data forum one more time....

I'm looking to move into East Atlanta or Kirkwood area but am a little unclear on the differences btw being in UICD/Incorporated Dekalb v. within City Limits?

Are there any real significant advantages / disadvantages?

The lines look pretty arbitrary. In the East Atlanta area, there's a section East of Moreland and West of Bouldercrest that falls out of City Limits and is "Unincorporated Dekalb". In the Kirkwood area, Parkview (South of Memorial on Eleanor, Liberty, etc.) is not in City Limits.

Any helpful info would be appreciated...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
The schools will definitely be affected by these city limits as the cities of Atlanta and Decatur have their own school systems separate from the DeKalb County school system. School systems and their rankings will have a big effect on how a neighborhood shakes down.

This is painting with a big brush, but of the areas you are considering and judging by schools, the city of Decatur would be the best area, followed by unincoprated DeKalb NORTH of Atlanta and Decatur city limits, followed by Atlanta in DeKalb and would say unincorporated DeKalb south of Decatur and Atlanta city limits being in last place.

There are others on this site more knowledgable of this area (Lovin Decatur, you out there? Aries?). Perhaps they can chime in and be more helpful.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM

225 posts, read 714,717 times
The real significant part of it is taxes, w/in city limits you also have to pay city of atlanta (or decatur) taxes, which can be steep depending on what part of the city you're in. Do a little research and make sure you know how much extra you'll have to fork out to live w/in city limits and decide if it's worth it for you.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The schools will definitely be affected by these city limits as the cities of Atlanta and Decatur have their own school systems separate from the DeKalb County school system. School systems and their rankings will have a big effect on how a neighborhood shakes down.

This is painting with a big brush, but of the areas you are considering and judging by schools, the city of Decatur would be the best area, followed by unincoprated DeKalb NORTH of Atlanta and Decatur city limits, followed by Atlanta in DeKalb and would say unincorporated DeKalb south of Decatur and Atlanta city limits being in last place.

There are others on this site more knowledgable of this area (Lovin Decatur, you out there? Aries?). Perhaps they can chime in and be more helpful.

What St. Marks says is right on...about the schools. If the OP wants more details but specific schools, we could help out on future posts.

And like shalc said, you will find a difference in taxes when comparing incorporated vs. unincorporated.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM

18 posts, read 121,657 times
Thanks...schools are not that big of a deal as no kids now and probably not for at least a year or more...so schools are at least 7-8 yrs away but I guess it does make a difference for resale considerations. Any other opinions?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM

426 posts, read 1,445,918 times
Schools do matter in resale, so I would not discount them even if you don't have children. Plus if you are buying now, you are buying low and probably should buy some place you can stay for a long time. Within the boundaries of City of Atlanta, I would rank Kirkwood and East Lake higher than East Atlanta (and definitely unincorporated Dekalb south of I-20) because Kwood and EL are zoned to Grady High School, while EA is Maynard Jackson (formerly Southside). A realtor friend had a buyer back out of a contract in Kwood when they realized that the street the home was on was one of the few in the neighborhood zoned to Southside, not Grady. And these buyers did not have high school age kids.

I can say that I bought when kids were years away and now with a three-year old I really wish we had bought a more kid friendly house. We are buying a new house now and definitely planning to buy something that will last our family for as long as we want it to. (BTW, those who have seen me ask about neighborhoods/houses/realtors for YEARS; our house is under contract and it looks like we are finally really buying!).

In terms of the specific areas the OP is looking at... "East of Moreland and West of Bouldercrest" just seems really far away from city ammenities to me. We looked in that area and you can get alot of house for your money, but you are just a real drive from things (and Moreland traffic can be a bear). As far as Parkview goes, it simply isn't Kirkwood. Very strange how every neighborhood, no matter how transitional, has its own snobbery... North of Hosea is considered the better area of Kirkwood (south of Hosea is fondly called SoHo by those who live there) and Parkview is not part of the neighborhood. Realtors consider this and price accordingly. Which means you get the house at a lower price, but you will also sell at a lower price.

Good luck on your search!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,915 times
The Lavista Park Region is currently a part of Dekalb Unincorporated and this organization has decided to have their notary man, ho around to collect signatures. The options are yes and no for annexation to the City of Brookhaven. Brookhave do3s nir have a school system, nor does Brookhaven have an EMS or fire department on the scale of Atlanta Fired Department. Based onntye location of Chantilly Crescent, ME, (Just off Chantilly Drive) itbis in our bestbibterest to inquire about becoming a part of the City of Atlanta. We signed no, on the move to Brookhaven and now wish to make it official. How do we apply to the City of Atlanta to become a part of the City of Atlanta?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:13 PM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjohnson View Post
Thanks...schools are not that big of a deal as no kids now and probably not for at least a year or more...so schools are at least 7-8 yrs away but I guess it does make a difference for resale considerations. Any other opinions?
I'll agree with what has been said above.

Do check taxes.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFSlade View Post
The Lavista Park Region is currently a part of Dekalb Unincorporated and this organization has decided to have their notary man, ho around to collect signatures. The options are yes and no for annexation to the City of Brookhaven. Brookhave do3s nir have a school system, nor does Brookhaven have an EMS or fire department on the scale of Atlanta Fired Department. Based onntye location of Chantilly Crescent, ME, (Just off Chantilly Drive) itbis in our bestbibterest to inquire about becoming a part of the City of Atlanta. We signed no, on the move to Brookhaven and now wish to make it official. How do we apply to the City of Atlanta to become a part of the City of Atlanta?
Here are some links to CoA annexation procedures:
https://www.atlantaga.gov/government...on-information

https://www.atlantaga.gov/home/showdocument?id=18378
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta