Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticingCatholic View Post
Here's one address that's listed on Craigslist now: 5459 Kemmie Ln SW Mableton GA US.

Is that neighborhood as nice as the picture look? Or is it just super ghetto? Or am I just used to living where only the rich people can afford the natural beauty, so this information is just too shocking to believe?

I appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks!
As Aries said, Mableton is a mixed bag. Crime tends to happen along the main business arteries in the area such as Veterans Memorial, along Floyd Road, and in some areas south of Veterans Memorial Highway down by Mableton Parkway. I would consider the "best" area to be north of Vet Mem Hwy, East of Floyd, and West of Oakdale Road.

A crime map for the southern part of Cobb County is here, and you can see the areas where things tend to happen.

Cobb County, GA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Cobb County - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

The house you indicate looks like it's in a relatively safe area. It *is* close to Veterans Memorial Highway, but I don't see any record of any crimes happening in that neighborhood recently.

The whole area is beautiful. The Atlanta metro in general has a lot of tree cover, including the City of Atlanta itself, and Mableton is located in a nice hilly area overlooking the Chattahoochee River valley. The local area is a mix of million-dollar houses (near the East/West Connector), older brick ramblers on huge lots, and both middle aged and newer subdivisions with various levels of tree cover.

One thing to realize about the Atlanta metro is that most of the areas that are suburban are actually not part of an incorporated town at all. Smyrna, Marietta, and Kennesaw are towns in Cobb County, while Mableton, Vinings, and East Cobb are areas which have an established identity but no organized "town" level of government.

In the case of Mableton, it actually used to be a town back at the beginning of the 20th century, so it has the "historic feel" of a town in some ways, but a series of floods caused the residents to unincorporate again and fall back on the county for support.

I would suggest renting first and getting some idea of the various areas of the metro. There are a lot of nice areas in Cobb, for example, but there are many nice areas outside of Cobb. Housing is affordable in Atlanta. You do have to watch for problems areas, but usually those are fairly well established, and both the police and neighbors are good places to find out more.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 AM

21 posts, read 58,784 times
Thanks so much for the thorough replies and all the great information y'all! At this point, we feel we've done all the research we can do online, so we're planning a trip out in August to see the area in person. I know, coming to Atlanta in August sounds a little crazy, but we'd like to compare apples to apples and see how your heat stacks up against what we've lived with for the last couple years. Though, I've been tracking the daily temperatures and I don't think it should be much of an issue. After all, we had our first 95 degree day April 25th and it was still 90 degrees at 9:00 p.m. last night

At any rate, thanks again! See y'all this summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta