Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 33,464 times

Advertisements

Wow. Thank you so much for your help!

Have you heard of subdivisions: Providence? Riverview at Vinings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,786,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadfornow View Post
Thanks for that, JoeP.

Anyone have any decent suggestions for townhome subdivisions in the area? I was looking at an old thread and they seem to be in agreement that John Weiland homes are good to go but then again that was 2008.

Thanks!
What price range and how many bedrooms are you looking for. I live in a townhome in Smyrna and prices are VERY depressed so now is the time to get a bargain.

Townhomes in Smyrna range from low 100's to 300+

Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Ideally, low to mid 100s is key.

With Smyrna, it just needs to be southeast near the highways because it's pushing the commute for my husband.

Again, thank you SO much for your help!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,550,035 times
Quote:
Wow. Thank you so much for your help!

Have you heard of subdivisions: Providence? Riverview at Vinings?
As mentioned, I used to live in Providence...it is very, very nice for the money. The pool and clubhouse are fantastic and the fact that you have a mix of single family homes and townhomes is nice. Landscaping is great as well. We lived there for 2.5 years and never were subjected to crime, but it was definitely happening around us (not an epidemic, but maybe something every other week, usually car break ins or day time house break ins when ppl were gone). Right now there are some townhomes for super cheap resale, and I can attest to the quality of the Wieland product.

Riverview looks nice, but it is in a heavily industrial area off S. Cobb inside the perimeter. I know there are some really good deals there, but between the two, I would pick Providence.

Of course, one man's "safe" is another's war zone, so you may want to try renting a place for 6-12 months to get the lay of the land.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

thanks SO much, spacelord!

your help is MUCH appreciated!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,786,850 times
Quote:
Ideally, low to mid 100s is key.

With Smyrna, it just needs to be southeast near the highways because it's pushing the commute for my husband.

Again, thank you SO much for your help!!!
I live in an older townhome community in Smyrna - it is fee simple the good being there is no association fee the potentially bad is that you are responsible for maitaining the exterior and small yard.

You can easily get low 100's in my neighborhood right now but it will need fixing up. There are plenty of units like mine that are updated but those owners are not selling with the depressed prices (the units easily rent).

Straight down Atlanta road is an easy commute into downtown. FYI - the Atlanta interchange at I-285 totally backs up. The plans are in the works to improve this but last I heard they said it would not be finished until 2015 - it gets complex as it affects a Federal Highway

Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 PM

276 posts, read 432,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Straight down Atlanta road is an easy commute into downtown. FYI - the Atlanta interchange at I-285 totally backs up.
I also live in a townhome inside 285. Where I am, I can easily take S Atlanta or S Cobb to the highway so I have a choice about the traffic. If you live outside 285 and have to take 285 north, it is pretty bad.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Thank you all, again. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 58,912 times
Hey guys, I know this thread is a couple months old, but y'all seem to be really helpful, so I thought I'd share an address.

I currently living in the DFW area in Texas with my wife and baby and we are looking to possibly relocate to Atlanta in the next couple years. If we did move, our Church would be in Mableton (St. Francis De Sales), so we're looking to live nearby. We've been searching Craigslist and the MLS on Realtor.com and our jaws have been on the ground about how cheap it is to rent and buy a house in the area. Houses that would be WAY out of our price range in the DFW area (with ample trees, large lots, etc) go for $800/month in Mableton. This all has me thinking, "Ok, what's the catch here?"

Here's one address that's listed on Craigslist now: 5459 Kemmie Ln SW Mableton GA US.

Is that neighborhood as nice as the picture look? Or is it just super ghetto? Or am I just used to living where only the rich people can afford the natural beauty, so this information is just too shocking to believe?

I appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 PM

16,733 posts, read 29,642,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticingCatholic View Post
Hey guys, I know this thread is a couple months old, but y'all seem to be really helpful, so I thought I'd share an address.

I currently living in the DFW area in Texas with my wife and baby and we are looking to possibly relocate to Atlanta in the next couple years. If we did move, our Church would be in Mableton (St. Francis De Sales), so we're looking to live nearby. We've been searching Craigslist and the MLS on Realtor.com and our jaws have been on the ground about how cheap it is to rent and buy a house in the area. Houses that would be WAY out of our price range in the DFW area (with ample trees, large lots, etc) go for $800/month in Mableton. This all has me thinking, "Ok, what's the catch here?"

Here's one address that's listed on Craigslist now: 5459 Kemmie Ln SW Mableton GA US.

Is that neighborhood as nice as the picture look? Or is it just super ghetto? Or am I just used to living where only the rich people can afford the natural beauty, so this information is just too shocking to believe?

I appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kemmi...30126&t=m&z=16

^^^^
That's a good area.

The thing with Mableton--

Mableton covers a wide area and some parts are really nice, some in the middle, and some just so-so.

Generally, north of Hwy 78/Veterans Memorial is good/great. South of Hwy 78/Veterans Memorial still has some good/great parts, but some parts become only so-so.

Kemmie Lane is in/near the Cooper Lake Area and Mableton "Center"--two really nice areas that I like a lot.

Some helpful information:
http://www.mableton.org/files/Docs/MIC_vision.pdf

Also, your child is just a baby right now, but you can still start thinking about schools. Mableton has good/great schools--look into the Mableton Elementary, Harmony-Leland Elementary, and Nickajack Elementary school districts.

Hopefully, the poster rcsteiner will chime in. He's a Mableton resident and will offer you excellent insight, detail, and information.

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta