Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM

102 posts, read 394,634 times

Advertisements

I was in the Mableton area this weekend and it was somewhat eye opening. West of Floyd Rd seemed a little sketchy to me. A lot of new subdivisions/neighborhoods up and coming. I see that JW is building south of Veterans Memorial - nice neighborhood it would seem.

I am curious as how the cost of houses in Mableton compares to the cost of houses in Kennesaw. My initial research shows very little difference(s). Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,133,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma31 View Post
I was in the Mableton area this weekend and it was somewhat eye opening.
Heh. Is that good or bad? I could actually understand some good reasons for having either reaction depending on what areas you drove through. As a lot of us have said, it's a mix of areas, some good, and some not so good.

Quote:
West of Floyd Rd seemed a little sketchy to me. A lot of new subdivisions/neighborhoods up and coming. I see that JW is building south of Veterans Memorial - nice neighborhood it would seem.
I've always thought the area along Veterans Memorial Highway was a little too warehousy-seedy-businessy for my tastes, but I know there are some nice areas along Queen's Mill and some good new developments going up along the south side.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,931,517 times
Quote:
I was in the Mableton area this weekend and it was somewhat eye opening. West of Floyd Rd seemed a little sketchy to me. A lot of new subdivisions/neighborhoods up and coming. I see that JW is building south of Veterans Memorial - nice neighborhood it would seem.

I am curious as how the cost of houses in Mableton compares to the cost of houses in Kennesaw. My initial research shows very little difference(s). Am I wrong?
Some of the newer subdivisions have home prices in Mableton that are about the same as some in Kennesaw, though in Kennesaw I think you still see stuff in the upper end prices more. Lots tend to be a little smaller in Kennesaw from what I've seen.

Regardless, I don't want a neighborhood that's "up and coming" - I want one that's already made it there. LOL

Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,546,715 times
There is one big difference between Mableton (especially the area by the Publix on Veterans) and Kennesaw - commute time. From that Publix, you are talking a consistent 30 minute commute during rush hour into Midtown/Downtown, and more like 15 minutes if an off-time. Kennesaw is pretty far away.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Heh. Is that good or bad? I could actually understand some good reasons for having either reaction depending on what areas you drove through. As a lot of us have said, it's a mix of areas, some good, and some not so good.

I've always thought the area along Veterans Memorial Highway was a little too warehousy-seedy-businessy for my tastes, but I know there are some nice areas along Queen's Mill and some good new developments going up along the south side.
It was both good and bad. East of Floyd Rd (by the Pubix area) seemed pretty nice. I like the fact that there is a Walgreen's close by etc. I believe JW is building on Queen's Mill. I also checked out the subdivisions off of Buckner Rd and those seemed pretty nice. We still didn't see a lot of the type of house we are looking for (at our price point ).

Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Regardless, I don't want a neighborhood that's "up and coming" - I want one that's already made it there. LOL
I guess that depends on what you consider as "up and coming". For me, it just mean new construction in new(er) neighborhoods i.e. signs of growth.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM

I used to live in the Providence subdivision right across from that Publix and liked the area quite a bit. Now that they are supposed to be building that big Target shopping center over on S. Cobb, near Highland Pkwy, it will be even better (my pet peeve was not having any retail near by). I liked having easy access to downtown and midtown for both work and weekend activities. There is a lot of industrial, but some of this is moving away - example, a trucking company located right on the corner of Oakdale and Veterans is moving further south. I think the whole area will end up doing really well and eventually be much more in demand than the areas further west due to the easy commutes.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I used to live in the Providence subdivision right across from that Publix and liked the area quite a bit.
If you don't mind me asking, were you in a home or TH (I am of the opinion they have TH). Anyway, whatever you were in, how were they? Anything about the area make you move (since you "used" to live there).

Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, were you in a home or TH (I am of the opinion they have TH). Anyway, whatever you were in, how were they? Anything about the area make you move (since you "used" to live there).
I lived in one of the townhomes (actually, I'm still trying to sell it , 7 months of double mortgages is no fun!) and really, really enjoyed it. The construction was great and the quality control team was reasonably responsive for any of my calls. The reason we moved was because we found a great deal on a fixer upper in Dunwoody, which is where I'm from originally, and wanted to get near good public elementary schools for any prospective kids. The lack of ANY retail nearby, nor good restaurants/bars, was a big driver, but it seems like they are addressing that. Too bad they didn't open McCray's in West Village (only a 10 minute drive) until right before we moved!

Overall, I would say that this area has a great deal of potential. I go over that way once a week to check on the townhome and pick up mail and like what I see of the new developments. Providence itself is a pretty close-knit community and, being a John Wieland dev't, the homes are built very well (at least as far as mass-builders go). I also miss the woods that our townhome backed up to, which made it really private. Also, I REALLY miss the pool during the summer and having the clubhouse for parties.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,789,689 times
The most expensive part of Mableton is off Buckner and East of Floyd Road. You'll find custom homes up in the $800ks and beyond in Vinings Estates, and up near E/W. The old village area around where Church St and Clay meet can be a cute area if a little work is done.

The area of Mableton to avoid (at least for now) is down near the Six Flags Dr, but I have seen some things on government sites (forgot where they are) talking about capital improvement plans for that area, so it may not hold true forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta