Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,542,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
You're better off renting it out right now with the current market. The credit crunch has luckily resulted in more people having to rent because they don't qualify for mortgages (if they aren't buying, they are renting). Townhomes are great for renting because I imagine the association keeps up the exterior. Providence has a great commute, and has a lot of amenities. Put it up in Craigslist and as long as you choose something reasonable, I imagine you'll find a renter.
We actually contemplated renting, but we decided against it for a few reasons: (1) the level of riff raff that was responding was annoying, (2) we have hardwoods throughout the main level and they are hard enough to keep nice if you actually care about them (as opposed to renters), (3) I'm sure the builder's grade carpet would need either stretching or replacing in a year or two of rental, and (4) we can actually afford the dual mortgages (and still save) and I want the headache GONE! We are priced very aggressively, and I'm going to see what this Spring/Summer brings, then reevaluate. Thanks for the recommendation, though - I appreciate the suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
Let me start by saying that Cumberland Mall is a joke. That mall has more stores geared towards teenagers, shoe lovers, and accessory fiends that any other mall I have ever seen.
That could be true. All I've ever done is eat in the food court a few times since it's proximate to my workplace. I didn't shop much in Ridgedale, the Mall of America, Southtown, or the Eden Prairie Center when I lived next to them in the Twin Cities, and neither my wife nor I are frequent mall shoppers here, so I don't have a clue what's in the mall itself other than the stores which make themselves obvious on the outside.

Quote:
As for the other lack of retail, there is no Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, Babies 'R Us, BabyGap, or Crate & Barrel within 15 miles. Fabric stores (not counting Calico Corners) are pretty much non-existent.
For cloth supplies and craft nicknacks wife seems fairly happy with the Hobby Lobby on the E/W Connector and the Michael's at the corner of Cumberland Blvd and Cobb, and I think she's also been to the Hancock Fabrics store on South Cobb but I'm not sure (it wasn't with me!).

Quote:
Non-chain furniture stores are no where to be seen (and even those chain stores that are "around" here are a good 20 minutes). I do not think that any of the above stores would qualify as "high end stores".... just mass market stores geared to the middle class.
Since furniture shopping is something we do only once in a great while, it has never been an issue. Most of the stuff we purchased was from what used to be Rhodes Furniture over in the same mall on Cumberland Blvd that the World Market, Michael's, Best Buy, and friends are in. Although come to think of it, we furnished the sitting room with a corner sofa, pair of chairs, and coffee table from "Furniture World" on Veteran's Memorial Highway in Mableton. That place looks a little scary from the road, but we're actually quite happy with the stuff we purchased from them. It seems to be very well made.

Quote:
Also, the shopping center(s) out the E/W Connector are all run down and have extremely low inventory compared to the other stores in the Atlanta area (same brand).
The only store I frequent is the Target on Austell and the E/W Connector (pretty typical for a Target and better than the ones on Cobb Parkway IMO) and occasionally the Borders there (I prefer Barnes & Noble), and neither of those is any different from any other in the metro. Run down?

Quote:
All in all, my complaint is that there is no retail to fulfill my everyday shopping needs (I am talking mass market stores).... not to mention the few speciality stores I like to visit (mentioned above).
You're a much more demanding shopper than I. :-) If I can't find it online or at Target/Sears/BestBuy and it isn't a book, I usually don't buy it or need it, or it's such an unusual purchase for me that distance/location isn't much of an issue.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,147,032 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying that Cumberland Mall is a joke. That mall has more stores geared towards teenagers, shoe lovers, and accessory fiends that any other mall I have ever seen.
That's the description of most every mall in America.

Additionally, some areas have a more established market of higher income so they will get more high end retail that might locate in one or few metro locations. In Atlanta, that means Buckhead and Dunwoody. Then Alpharetta, and other northern burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta