Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 39,382 times

Advertisements

I might be comparing apples and oranges, but I'm not from Atlanta and don't know where to turn.

I have found some nice new homes in the Southwind subdivision in Fairburn and Ashton Park in Mableton.

How would you compare the two areas?

Our budget is $250. Our biggest issue is finding a home that compliments our needs. We will be having an elder relative visit quite often, so a room downstairs is necessary.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
S Fulton is growing more and is more up and coming than Mabelton. I also hear that crime in Mableton is becoming a problem, but its just speculation on my part. Schools are probably about the same.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
S Fulton is growing more and is more up and coming than Mabelton. I also hear that crime in Mableton is becoming a problem, but its just speculation on my part. Schools are probably about the same.
Given the nature of the housing/population transition going on in Mableton (older houses and/or poor apartment complexes being torn out and replaced with expensive subdivisions), I would guess the opposite. Just a guess, though.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 PM

160 posts, read 600,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Given the nature of the housing/population transition going on in Mableton (older houses and/or poor apartment complexes being torn out and replaced with expensive subdivisions), I would guess the opposite. Just a guess, though.
I've heard the opposite as well. These are the two areas I like as well. The differences I see are...Mableton is changing from old to new housing and S. Fulton is going from rural to subdivisions. A realtor brought it to my attention that taxes are higher in S. Fulton and parts are looking to incorporate as a new city, so may go even higher. It's probably a gamble as to which one is the best investment, they're both good IMO. Find a neighborhood you like in both places and see how the total value compares. Oh and the camp creek marketplace is the closest shopping that I know of right now and no really good mall if you need one. There are tons of new things in the works though.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
oh, my bad. I haven't been through mableton in a while so I wasn't aware of the good changes going on there. I'm glad to see it!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 86,998 times
Default Fairburn or Henry

I am moving to GA in a week and want to secure housing. I will be working in midtown and schools are very important to me (I have a 7 yr old). Where would you pick and why?

TIA

Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjft View Post
I am moving to GA in a week and want to secure housing. I will be working in midtown and schools are very important to me (I have a 7 yr old). Where would you pick and why?
What do you mean by "housing"...? Even in lowly Mableton, you can find houses for $80,000 or houses for over $1 million, and there are also apartments and perhaps townhouses (if not in Mableton proper, then certainly close by in Smyrna along the E/W Connector).

Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,323 times
There is new charter school in Mableton, which is widely popular. They have waitlists. May want to check it out if you decide to live in Mableton.

Imagine International Academy of Mableton

Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
I think the biggest difference with Mableton is that it's on the North loop, which is, in my opinion, a nicer area -- and Mableton is one of the few "affordable" areas on the N. loop as well. There are pockets of the southern metro that are nice and S. Fulton (Sandtown, etc), are some of them. Mableton is more diverse demographically than much of S. Fulton. Mableton has a much better commute than Fairburn, however Sandtown in S. Fulton may have a better commute than Mableton (that's a really close call, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: