Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,991,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
historic art deco building to be replaced with a post-modern space tube:

Google Maps

historic row of buildings to be replaced with a "mixed-use development":

Google Maps

these are the only two examples i can find— it looks like they are keeping a lot more stuff than what i thought.

but what i think needs to be done, should be in the character of historic structures in atlanta— not postmodern sci-fi movie style architecture, and not "phony historic".
Well, I did know about the old Atlanta Constitution building. As much as I would love to have the building restored, I'm afraid that it is just too far gone. From my understand it's been abandoned for something near 30 years. As far as the row of buildings you linked, I could be wrong, but I don't think those are getting the wrecking ball. I do, however, believe that Alabama street will be opened up to traffic again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,940,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Well, I did know about the old Atlanta Constitution building. As much as I would love to have the building restored, I'm afraid that it is just too far gone. From my understand it's been abandoned for something near 30 years. As far as the row of buildings you linked, I could be wrong, but I don't think those are getting the wrecking ball. I do, however, believe that Alabama street will be opened up to traffic again.
nothing is too far gone— architecture before the late 60s and 70s, going all the way back to the 1700s is solid, not this plywood and fiberglass stuff that's going up now. the core of the building is still there and nothing's going to change that. it won't be easy; it will need to be completely gutted but there's still hope for it.

as for alabama street being opened back up again, that's a good thing. they kind of shut down the area rather than making people want to walk around it, since there's no parking nearby besides that awful deck.

like i said before, i like the idea. it's still better than what's there now. but it needs to reflect the history of downtown atlanta, not buckhead.

Last edited by bryantm3; 02-19-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM

32,079 posts, read 37,120,029 times
Quote:
nothing is too far gone— architecture before the late 60s and 70s...
As much as I love old buildings, I don't think the Atlanta Constitution building is that big a deal. It's not like it was the historic home of the newspaper -- as I recall they were only located there for a few years.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,991,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As much as I love old buildings, I don't think the Atlanta Constitution building is that big a deal. It's not like it was the historic home of the newspaper -- as I recall they were only located there for a few years.
It is significant that it is one of a handful of art moderne buildings built in Atlanta. It could possibly be the only one left, however don't quote me on that.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 AM

906 posts, read 1,755,645 times
Quote:
k-saw— it belongs to the city. they are planning to build an amtrak station there to replace the one at brookwood.

High-speed rail funding would build new $39 million Amtrak station near Atlantic Station | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

i couldn't tell you off the bat who owns the other half of the lot.
I think, if I'm reading the maps correctly, that the city owns the purple part of the lot. I'm pretty sure the western side of the plot is private, as there's a sign up with a phone number that I pass by most days. Perhaps that's one of the drawbacks of that plot? That is, not knowing what the city may do with the other half?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 AM

32,079 posts, read 37,120,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
It is significant that it is one of a handful of art moderne buildings built in Atlanta. It could possibly be the only one left, however don't quote me on that.
Well, I should clarify. I like the building and if there's a way to redevelop it that would be nice. However, it was only in use a short time and has been abandoned far longer than it was ever occupied. So to me it has never seemed like a part of the city's history, except as an empty hulk.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,940,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I should clarify. I like the building and if there's a way to redevelop it that would be nice. However, it was only in use a short time and has been abandoned far longer than it was ever occupied. So to me it has never seemed like a part of the city's history, except as an empty hulk.
yes, this is true. it's almost like it was built as an abandoned building.

Quote:
I think, if I'm reading the maps correctly, that the city owns the purple part of the lot. I'm pretty sure the western side of the plot is private, as there's a sign up with a phone number that I pass by most days. Perhaps that's one of the drawbacks of that plot? That is, not knowing what the city may do with the other half?
i would think so, but one of the major drawbacks is that the lot is divided in two— the plan the blog presented to build some kind of a campus there wouldn't be possible unless the city sold that half of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta