Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,448,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
This makes me really, really excited! Especially if it's going to be near a MARTA station, which I think will be crucial for urban development.
Yeah, me too. This will definately be the "center" of the Perimeter Center area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM

858 posts, read 1,392,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
Ohhhhh! Now I get why there was talk awhile back about a path along the creek leading north of Murphey Candler Park. It would then connect to this new park in Dunwoody.
It could as long as there's enough room for it under 285.

Here's a PDF with the plan.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
It could as long as there's enough room for it under 285.

Here's a PDF with the plan.
Thanks for this link, erick295. If I'm looking at this correctly, I'm placing this right behind Park Place east of Ashford-Dunwoody?

Very cool proposal at any rate.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,754,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I definitely agree that the westside and the Broohaven/Chamblee areas will continue to be targets of commercial development.
If y'all haven't seen this yet, check it out:

New apartments for the west side - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Quote:
Developers are planning a 195-unit apartment building and shops along Howell Mill Road in West Midtown — the latest intown multifamily project to enter the development pipeline.
Westbridge Realty Partners LLC filed for a special administrative permit from the city of Atlanta Oct. 19 for a more than 250,000-square-foot project at Howell Mill Road and 14th Street, next to the Room & Board and showroom building. It was a necessary step in the process to obtain a building permit.
The project, known as 691 14th Street, will likely be closer to 180,000 square feet, excluding the parking deck, said Chris Faussemagne, a Westbridge founding partner. It could break ground next year.
This will be across from White Provision and down 14th a bit. We'll get increased apartment density and some street level retail as well. Hope to see more and more of this type of stuff on the Westside in coming years . . . .

Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM

858 posts, read 1,392,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Thanks for this link, erick295. If I'm looking at this correctly, I'm placing this right behind Park Place east of Ashford-Dunwoody?
That's right.

I hope the work begins soon. This area desperately needs a public park.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,933,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They need to make Downtown and Midtown more dense before starting elsewhere seriously. Downtown is pretty dense, but I would love to see development west of the Centennial olympic part so that there are skyscrapers surrounding the park and it would resemble Central park in Manhattan.

I would also love to see more development in southern Downtown and in parts of Midtown. This would make Atlanta become a world class city center IMO. After these areas are dense, we can begin building other areas nearby.
along marietta street, i think they're thinking about building this thing that looks like times square in new york with tv screens and such. as for skyscrapers, i'm cool with that along marietta street and then northside drive where the projects used to be. but any further west of that and you've got historic homes... but they're in "the bluff".

hopefully we'll see gentrification in this area soon. you've already got some in vine city, it feels relatively safe, but i went in the bluff the other day looking for historic homes, you know, when the sun was still up, and i just did not feel safe at all— it's one of the creepiest places i've ever been. boarded up windows, people that literally look like zombies meandering across the street, and it feels really isolated. lovely homes in there though. hopefully the beltline and westside park will bring that area back up again.

along marietta street and "across the tracks" you've got a lot of old industrial stuff— some could be made into lofts but other things need to be taken down, old aluminum sheds and whatnot. there's a lot of opportunity for dense development over there.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 AM

And more good news for West Midtown just out this week:

White Provision signs two new retailers - Atlanta Business Chronicle

That's four good gets for distinct clothing boutiques (i.e., not big box chains, but with national recognition) over the next couple of months:

(1) Free People
(2) Calypso St. Barth
(3) Lululemon Athletica
(4) Billy Reid

Not really my demographic at all. But this means more jobs and foot traffic over on the Westside. And I think Savvy Snoot (*great* consignment store, btw) is taking one of the huge empty warehouses behind White Provision on Brady in the next few months. It's nice to see Brady getting more infill as well: http://www.savvysnoot.com/westside-move.html

Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Curbed recently did a piece on that parcel of land behind Ikea at 17th and Northside. I've always thought that could be majorly good development space for commercial and/or housing: the skyline views alone are insane.

Any Execs in the Market for a New Corporate Campus Locale? - Please Build Here - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
The no-brainer move seems to be some sort of retail-heavy, mixed-use development. The retail could leverage the retail presence of Atlantic Station and the nearby Target and Ikea as well as the boutique shops a road over on Howell Mill.

However, a more interesting use of the land would be for a major corporate campus. It's a unique situation to have a prominent undeveloped location in an urban setting that still offers many of the characteristics corporations look for when siting major offices. The site is large enough to give a major company a lot of flexibility in designing a campus to spec. Access, always a critical component, is terrific. The site has easy access to the Connector via 17th Street. Midtown and Downtown are easily accessible. Commuters going north up into North Fulton, Cobb and beyond would be able to avoid the Connector all together by cutting up Northside to I-75. Access to I-20 West could also be reached via surface streets. The proximity of Atlantic Station, Midtown and the Northside Corridor would offer ample restaurants and shops to corporate employees. A particularly good fit would be technology company that could take advantage of the close proximity of Georgia Tech.
The corporate campus idea totally makes sense to me. I realize we're still suffering from office and condo oversupply, but every time I drive past this area, it baffles me that more isn't happening here.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Curbed recently did a piece on that parcel of land behind Ikea at 17th and Northside. I've always thought that could be majorly good development space for commercial and/or housing: the skyline views alone are insane.

Any Execs in the Market for a New Corporate Campus Locale? - Please Build Here - Curbed Atlanta

The corporate campus idea totally makes sense to me. I realize we're still suffering from office and condo oversupply, but every time I drive past this area, it baffles me that more isn't happening here.
k-saw— it belongs to the city. they are planning to build an amtrak station there to replace the one at brookwood.

High-speed rail funding would build new $39 million Amtrak station near Atlantic Station | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

i couldn't tell you off the bat who owns the other half of the lot.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I sure hope so, and I think it will be so. There is too much to fill, to keep growing to new areas.

However, I also dont think things like MARTA are going to come to Alpharetta.

A better Alpharetta downtown: yes. New concepts in the suburbs: yes. These are going to stay disjointed, and car dependent: yes.
MARTA > About Marta > Planning

MARTA just began an alternatives analysis for building a rail line to alpharetta— also the T-SPLOST funds the marta line extending to holcomb bridge road, which is pretty darn close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Actually, the plan is to fill in the gulch. I'm not aware of any historic buildings that will be torn down. There is nothing even there to tear down.
historic art deco building to be replaced with a post-modern space tube:

Google Maps

historic row of buildings to be replaced with a "mixed-use development":

Google Maps

these are the only two examples i can find— it looks like they are keeping a lot more stuff than what i thought.

but what i think needs to be done, should be in the character of historic structures in atlanta— not postmodern sci-fi movie style architecture, and not "phony historic".

a grand terminal, with modern amenities but in the distinct style of atlanta's historical structures.

U.S. Post Office and Courthouse--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

atlanta terra cotta roof - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta