Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM

840 posts, read 2,096,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I completely agree. I would be in favor of extending HRT up into Cobb and extending the Yellow Line up into Gwinnett County before I were to extend MARTA up 400.

The commuters on 400 have a nice park and ride stop to hop on MARTA. The commuters on I-85 and I-75 don't have this option. Give these potential riders the option before catering to those who chose to live/work 15 miles outside the perimeter in Alpharetta. Extend the Gold line 5-7 miles up I-85 (eventually going up to near 316. Create a line up to I-75/Delk Road paralleling I-75 (with plans to eventually extend up toward Kennesaw. I'd like to do more, but gotta think about the $$$.
I think this is a great idea, but I would prefer people that are actually paying for MARTA to get priority over other counties. No. Fulton county resident have been paying for MARTA for the last 30yrs and they only get 4 bus routes and 2 Park and ride lots, NO GRTA Xpress routes. This is the one of the fastest growing areas in the Metro, and since I've been in Atlanta since 2005 there really has been no service addition, just service reduction.

Wow I "almost" see another legitimate argument for breaking off to form former Milton County. Almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM

32,065 posts, read 37,046,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Wow I "almost" see another legitimate argument for breaking off to form former Milton County. Almost.
North Fulton taxpayers have definitely been getting the shaft for a long time but breaking off into a new county probably wouldn't help them with regard to MARTA.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,365,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I think this is a great idea, but I would prefer people that are actually paying for MARTA to get priority over other counties. No. Fulton county resident have been paying for MARTA for the last 30yrs and they only get 4 bus routes and 2 Park and ride lots, NO GRTA Xpress routes. This is the one of the fastest growing areas in the Metro, and since I've been in Atlanta since 2005 there really has been no service addition, just service reduction.

Well it goes without saying that before building up into these counties, they would have to sign on for the taxes that Dekalb and Fulton currently pay.

Which do you think would add more riders: Adding 5-10 miles of track up through lightly populated 400 up to Roswell and Alpharetta or adding 5-10 miles up I-85 which is not only more congested, but more heavily populated.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,020,724 times
Of course Gwinnett and Cobb taxpayers would have to pay the penny before extending MARTA. If those people really want a solution to traffic then they would approve the MARTA tax. Until then they can sit in traffic wasting away there lives. North Fulton should get a MARTA line since they have been paying over 30 years into the system.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 AM

144 posts, read 332,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I completely agree. I would be in favor of extending HRT up into Cobb and extending the Yellow Line up into Gwinnett County before I were to extend MARTA up 400.

The commuters on 400 have a nice park and ride stop to hop on MARTA. The commuters on I-85 and I-75 don't have this option. Give these potential riders the option before catering to those who chose to live/work 15 miles outside the perimeter in Alpharetta.
Disagree.

Voters in Cobb and Gwinnett have repeatedly, recently, refused to participate in MARTA. Let them continue to suffer. Those of us in Fulton get harrassed because we volunteered for higher taxes, fine--we should be able to reap the benefits of living in Fulton rather than Forsyth.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,208,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Disagree.

Voters in Cobb and Gwinnett have repeatedly, recently, refused to participate in MARTA. Let them continue to suffer. Those of us in Fulton get harrassed because we volunteered for higher taxes, fine--we should be able to reap the benefits of living in Fulton rather than Forsyth.
A vote was made in the 70's, and to my knowledge no formal vote has been made in Cobb since then.

Please stop perpetuating this myth.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,926,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A vote was made in the 70's, and to my knowledge no formal vote has been made in Cobb since then.

Please stop perpetuating this myth.
yes, but a vote was done a few years ago in gwinnett:

GWINNETT COUNTY: MARTA expansion rejected | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/hotjobs/content/metro/stories/2008/07/16/electmarta.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,208,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yes, but a vote was done a few years ago in gwinnett:

GWINNETT COUNTY: MARTA expansion rejected | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/hotjobs/content/metro/stories/2008/07/16/electmarta.html - broken link)
That still doesn't justify your statement. Sounds like Gwinnett has had a vote. Cobb has not.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,926,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That still doesn't justify your statement. Sounds like Gwinnett has had a vote. Cobb has not.
i wasn't the one who said it. but either way, cobb's got their own transit system now, and even if the people voted it in, the county officials would nix it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,020,724 times
Quote:
cobb's got their own transit system now
Its a joke. GRTA was created to manage all the county transit systems and get them to work together, but Gov. Purdue cut GTRA's powers. GRTA needs to be the umbrella to all the different transit agencies in metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta