Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,819,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Living "At the Perimeter" or ATP is usually a good alternative. ATP includes areas like Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Doraville, Chamblee etc. You are close enough to intown activities to take advantage of what Atlanta has to offer (within 10 miles), the reverse commute to the suburbs is not bad and you don't necessarily pay the intown rental rates.

Good compromise..Just because one lives in Duluth doesn't mean they can't go into ATL for social activities. The Duluth/Suwanee community is very active. You can meet people outside the bar scene. You can always rent for a year and decide which area suits your needs.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 AM

329 posts, read 639,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Living in Buckhead or midtown is super expensive. I can not afford that kind of lifestyle. There is no way. Plus I would have to commute all the way to Suwanee and I'm sure that is a long commute with traffic and all.
I live just inside the Perimeter (Brookhaven, near Ashford Dunwoody Rd) and commute to Buford to work... there is hardly any traffic and my total commute time takes me about 30 minutes more or less.

I agree with the people here that recommend to live either in buckhead / brookhaven, or dunwoody. Like ATLJTL, I have also lived in and out of the city (Norcross, Dunwoody, Suwanee, now Brookhaven), so I have some experience in this too.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 AM

213 posts, read 1,108,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
I live just inside the Perimeter (Brookhaven, near Ashford Dunwoody Rd) and commute to Buford to work... there is hardly any traffic and my total commute time takes me about 30 minutes more or less.

I agree with the people here that recommend to live either in buckhead / brookhaven, or dunwoody. Like ATLJTL, I have also lived in and out of the city (Norcross, Dunwoody, Suwanee, now Brookhaven), so I have some experience in this too.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you live while in Suwanee? I am looking at some places there, but haven't moved yet. It will be about 2 weeks before I move. Any suggestions for where to live in Suwanee or Duluth?

How is rent in the Brookhaven area? Probably expensive. The most I could pay for rent is around $800. No higher.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 AM

329 posts, read 639,322 times
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you live while in Suwanee? I am looking at some places there, but haven't moved yet. It will be about 2 weeks before I move. Any suggestions for where to live in Suwanee or Duluth?

How is rent in the Brookhaven area? Probably expensive. The most I could pay for rent is around $800. No higher.
I lived just north of Suwanee Town Center, near Morning View. I didn't rent, so I cant give you an opinion on the apartment complexes in the area.

I own a house in Brookhaven now, but I did rent just before purchasing, and my rent was $980 for 2bd / 2bt (this was last year). I dont know about the rental market now, but it is worth looking around.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 AM

213 posts, read 1,108,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
I lived just north of Suwanee Town Center, near Morning View. I didn't rent, so I cant give you an opinion on the apartment complexes in the area.

I own a house in Brookhaven now, but I did rent just before purchasing, and my rent was $980 for 2bd / 2bt (this was last year). I dont know about the rental market now, but it is worth looking around.
How was Suwanee when you lived there? Is there much to do or anything to get involved in? How about Duluth or Buford? Do you know anything about this area as well as Suwanee?

I know that for Suwanee...all there is to it is the Town Center, right? I spent about 20 mintues there when I interviewed for this job and that was about all that I saw of Suwanee. Seemed totally geared towards families for the most part.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM

95 posts, read 254,008 times
This is me. Single and stuck in Suwanee. I don't complain though. Big house, nice neighborhood, safe and an easy commute to Duluth. Although everyone else has their own Family!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,080,918 times
Eddie Owens of Eddie's Attic in Decatur is about to start bringing live music to downtown Duluth almost every night.

It's great for the city and hopefully it will attract a younger crowd, but I wouldn't expect it to cause a major rift in the area's demographic anytime soon. I would assume that if anything, it will be like the reverse of venues downtown. What I mean is, major rock concerts at Philips Arena are known to draw people from the suburbs, but they come right before the show and then leave right after, generally not spending much time in the city. I bet people who come from intown to see bands at Eddie's new club in Duluth will do the same....come, see the show, then go back home right after.

But even though it's going to be great for the area, I doubt it's going to have significant draw away from venues like The Earl or Smith's Old Bar.

Anyway, your best hope for meeting singles in Suwanee/Duluth is going to to be people who enjoy the outdoors or people who wanted to be close to Lake Lanier. You might also go into Johns Creek because at the corner of Medlock Bridge and State Bridge there is a Tilted Kilt and Twisted Taco.

Just some ideas, but I still stand on my former statement: this is a far, far, FAR cry from the scene you would find in places like Buckhead, midtown, East Atlanta, Decatur, etc.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,543,831 times
Quote:
How would the Suwanee/Duluth area be for a single guy? I am going to be moving to that area very soon and have some concern about the area. I will be starting a new job so I guess I could maybe meet people like that, but are there other ways to meet people and date in this area?

It seems like the area is very family-oriented and residential.

I would not know anybody. Is it possible to meet new friends and/or possible to date or find a single women in this area? Are people friendly/open to meeting new people?

Or is this area strictly just married people with kids and not many single people.

By the way, I am in my late 20's. Thanks.
I suggest getting a Costco card if you don't already have one, buy the biggest bottle of Jergens they got and get to know yourself better...

Women ain't trying to drive all far with gas at $3.50

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

738 posts, read 1,379,326 times
I think you might be bored in Suwanee. I had a friend who bought a gorgeous house on a couple of acres out in Cherokee County - and it would have been perfect for a family - but it was just too far away from everything he wanted to do intown. And, as someone mentioned above, he had a hell of a time getting girls to come out there. Not only is it a long drive, but "going back to my place" carries inherent risks if you can't catch a cab home.

That said, there are all kinds of ways to meet people if you decide to move there. What do you like to do for fun? Join a local hiking group if you're the outdoor type, take a cooking class (girls love a man who can cook), try something new like bowling or skydiving or racecar driving. You're bound to meet people who are interested in the same things you are, and that's a great basis for friendships or relationships.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM

475 posts, read 1,372,551 times
Are you registered online at any dating or relationship sites? That is probabably how your going to meet anyone if you're not trying to be pick-up artist.
I've lived in Suwanee and Duluth and there are a lot of families even in apartment living. Check Suwanee stats: The last time I looked they only had 15% single never married and like 32% divorced, the rest married. However, having also lived in the city, I found it worth it to live OTP for the reduction in crime and generally lower cost of living especially as I worked OTP. A reverse commute is not bad but really depends on where you work and you will most likely pay more for location with fewer amenities to be inside.
I would suggest to do what you can to make real-world contacts too.
Join health club, tennis club, church, and look into meetups. Used to be a good amount of hikers around.

Last edited by peet111; 11-15-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta