Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 AM

714 posts, read 814,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You do realize we were talking about a totally different blog on a completely different website right?
Absolutely. I visited the other site and really liked it. Mr Goad seems more than capable of defending his POV. But give it a whirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,353,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
lol, Jim Goad took Bryant to the woodshed.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,328,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
When they tore the projects down, some moved to the suburbs yes, but most stayed inside 285. If anything they may have moved to Decatur or Stone Mountain.
Well, you are certainly right about one thing, Stone Mountain has been absolutely RUINED.

I find it deplorable that the government's attempt to "reclaim" certain in-town ghettoes has really only accomplished one thing: The absolute destruction of certain suburban communities. Stone Mountain is a good example.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
There are no historic homes or beautiful structures there. Everything is too far gone.

"historic" homes abandoned, stripped of copper, full of black mold, used to cook meth, even the rats wont live in some of these places
I admit I dont live in the middle of the worst parts but I own 3 houses.I rent ONLY 2 students and I live in one.One of the houses(Built circa1930) looks like it could easily be in Grant Park or any other popular historic neighborhood.There are usual children playng in the streets and its remarkably quieter than one would expect of an area with such a reputation.
In all of the 6 years.I just got broken into on New Years Day.I have no bars on my windows but I will get re-enforced windows to replace the ones currently on.
Other than that I feel safe as I would almost anywhere else in a major city.
I have met a lot of good people here.Many of them who have been here through good and bad.
Before you suggest crazy ideas about just bulldozing peoples homes down,take a minute and walk in there shoes as I have done.You will see there is more positive than you realize.

The money that has been poured into this community over the years never reached where it needed to go.It was wasted,but NOT by the community but by crooked politicians and there friends.

I have posted pics of some of my properties

Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I admit I dont live in the middle of the worst parts but I own 3 houses.I rent ONLY 2 students and I live in one.One of the houses(Built circa1930) looks like it could easily be in Grant Park or any other popular historic neighborhood.There are usual children playng in the streets and its remarkably quieter than one would expect of an area with such a reputation.
In all of the 6 years.I just got broken into on New Years Day.I have no bars on my windows but I will get re-enforced windows to replace the ones currently on.
Other than that I feel safe as I would almost anywhere else in a major city.
I have met a lot of good people here.Many of them who have been here through good and bad.
Before you suggest crazy ideas about just bulldozing peoples homes down,take a minute and walk in there shoes as I have done.You will see there is more positive than you realize.

The money that has been poured into this community over the years never reached where it needed to go.It was wasted,but NOT by the community but by crooked politicians and there friends.

Its not all that bad by far
Attached Thumbnails
The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-c5eaf5c8-2275459-800.jpg   The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-c94ea5f6-1853872-800.jpg   The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-9c43d155-1805810-800.jpg   The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-d2b556ba-2359269-800.jpg   The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-821aa2db-1667785-800.jpg  

The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-home-sweet-home.jpg   The Bluff: Atlanta's Forgotten Community-2-e8491cc6-1740348-800-copy.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Absolutely. I visited the other site and really liked it. Mr Goad seems more than capable of defending his POV. But give it a whirl.
Are you talking about TakiMag? I saw it there.

I didn't like Goad's point of view. What I got from it was "Blacks are dangerous, avoid them". It was like he was painting all Black people in a bad light. What I think he should have asked was "What is going on with The Bluff vs Cascade Heights"? There is a big difference between Cascade Heights and The Bluff. One is an affluent Black neighborhood and the other is very poor and neglected.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,407,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Are you talking about TakiMag? I saw it there.

I didn't like Goad's point of view. What I got from it was "Blacks are dangerous, avoid them". It was like he was painting all Black people in a bad light. What I think he should have asked was "What is going on with The Bluff vs Cascade Heights"? There is a big difference between Cascade Heights and The Bluff. One is an affluent Black neighborhood and the other is very poor and neglected.
Why do you think he liked it so much? *lightbulb*

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 36,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's candid but it's also the most racist article i think i've read in a long time.
Racist because it centers on what the race pollution is of the high crime area? I call it accurate.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM

40 posts, read 70,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay7751 View Post
Racist because it centers on what the race pollution is of the high crime area? I call it accurate.
I have never heard the term race pollution. What does that mean?

It sounds eerily similar to what a certain group in 20th Century Europe felt about those who were different.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
tell me this neighborhood doesn't have potential:

"english avenue elementary" - Google Maps
Hey!! You can see my house in this pic! Our block is really beautiful in Fall/Spring with all the trees at the school in bloom and leaves changing colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The only way it has potential is to remove EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT. Get back to me when you have a plan for that...
This is funny! So my husband and I who bought here and who make decent money and aren't criminals should move because you want to make a strip mall. Okay......

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

I agree with this above. It is the politicians who have wasted all the money also the city officials who gave all that money to unqualified "community organizations." People set up community organizations just to get the money and jump ship. Most of them weren't even prosecuted so this sets a precedence in the area that if you set up a non-profit and come over here and say you are going to do something, you can get millions of dollars without actually having to do it.

Also, I drive by your properties every day when I pick up my daughter from daycare!

I also posted some pics in the Atlanta pic threads of my neighborhood. I went on a walk and took them with my kids. We weren't accosted, killed, yelled at, nothing. A guy did ask me why I was taking pictures though but he wasn't mean and he was a nice guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta