Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,323,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where do you think these scumbags who used to live in the projects went when they were bulldozed? They are moving out into the suburbs, living in homes paid for by section 8 because the owners who bought them as investment homes are stuck with them and the only way they can make payments is to go section 8 with them....
And why do you want to accelerate this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,881,847 times
pfft beats me. i think this guy is just looking for any reason to mow down this neighbourhood.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where do you think these scumbags who used to live in the projects went when they were bulldozed? They are moving out into the suburbs, living in homes paid for by section 8 because the owners who bought them as investment homes are stuck with them and the only way they can make payments is to go section 8 with them....

Honestly, somebody refute this fact...
No, thats a huge myth here in Atlanta. A lot of those sumbags in the suburbs are not from Atlanta and are just scumbags from other cities. Those aren't Atlanta scumbags. When they tore the projects down, some moved to the suburbs yes, but most stayed inside 285. If anything they may have moved to Decatur or Stone Mountain. Most people who live in the projects do work at least a menial job somewhere maybe not consistently, but at least off and on. And most people I knew from projects didn't have cars, so why would they move somewhere that didn't have public transportation? I remember growing up riding MARTA from school and all the public housing complexes had their own bus route just off the sheer volume of riders they had from that a particular complex. Bowen Homes even had two different buses, one from Hightower Station and the other from Bankhead Station. Those scumbags who live in the suburbs are usually people from other cities, that really aren't even hard anyway, because if they really were they would do their scumbag dirt in the city instead of in the suburbs where its easier to do it.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
No, thats a huge myth here in Atlanta. A lot of those sumbags in the suburbs are not from Atlanta and are just scumbags from other cities. Those aren't Atlanta scumbags. When they tore the projects down, some moved to the suburbs yes, but most stayed inside 285. If anything they may have moved to Decatur or Stone Mountain. Most people who live in the projects do work at least a menial job somewhere maybe not consistently, but at least off and on. And most people I knew from projects didn't have cars, so why would they move somewhere that didn't have public transportation? I remember growing up riding MARTA from school and all the public housing complexes had their own bus route just off the sheer volume of riders they had from that a particular complex. Bowen Homes even had two different buses, one from Hightower Station and the other from Bankhead Station. Those scumbags who live in the suburbs are usually people from other cities, that really aren't even hard anyway, because if they really were they would do their scumbag dirt in the city instead of in the suburbs where its easier to do it.
@ oldschoolChevy— did you see that article someone posted in the thread called "Blight of the living dead?" what did you think of that, out of curiosity?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
@ oldschoolChevy— did you see that article someone posted in the thread called "Blight of the living dead?" what did you think of that, out of curiosity?

I did read it, and it is what it is. It's no secret that the Bluff is no walk in the park, but I think that article was written by someone with a biased point of view. And lumping the Bluff in with the South Bronx in the 80's and Gary Indiana in the mid 90's is quite a stretch IMO. I've spent a good amount of time in Gary and The Bluff is no where as bad as Gary is. But from looking at the other stuff on that website it looks like more of a blog anyway. Either way it's not a good look for the area. I do agree with the Wal-Mart stuff though, I was scratching my head on that one too.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I did read it, and it is what it is. It's no secret that the Bluff is no walk in the park, but I think that article was written by someone with a biased point of view. And lumping the Bluff in with the South Bronx in the 80's and Gary Indiana in the mid 90's is quite a stretch IMO. I've spent a good amount of time in Gary and The Bluff is no where as bad as Gary is. But from looking at the other stuff on that website it looks like more of a blog anyway.
i honestly found it offensive. i'm not black, though, i'm jewish. just the stuff that he was implying about the black community as a whole i thought was wrong. here's what i said in the comments section along with what he posted to me:

Quote:
this is the most ****ing racist article i have ever read. what is your problem?

the reason the bluff is the way it is, is because of flight by both blacks and whites into the suburbs and neglect of intown neighborhoods. cabbagetown, a majority white neighborhood, was high crime and run down until a few years ago. when people with money move out, the neighborhood goes down because the local economy is depleted.

fyi, the people who live in the bluff are few and far between. the heroin dealers and gangsters don't actually live there, because they're making money off of drugs. they live in midtown high-rise apartments. the people that live there are either very poor people who can't afford to move out, or addicts and homeless that squat in abandoned houses. most of the houses there are abandoned and the drug traffic and shady stuff comes in at night— it's mostly abandoned during the day.

the area itself holds a lot of historical significance and has a lot of beautiful architecture and needs to be revived like a lot of other intown neighborhoods have.

but as for your comments about 'crime being where black people are', you are a ****ing idiot. try living in forsyth county where the population is all white. some experiences i've had there:

-a local house catching on fire while producing meth-a crack house across from my high school had a shootout in which 2
students and another person was killed and four students were shot up
very badly in my sophomore year-trading drugs across the lunch table at south forsyth high was everyday fare-lived in southwest forsyth county on tidwell road. the houses on
both sides of ours were rental properties and had people using drugs and
drinking, and driving in and out all times of the night-had to call the police after being shot at by a neighbor-same neighbor left a bucket of dead cats on our porch (i am not
kidding). we called the police both times and they just "talked to him".-people leaving trash in other people's yards-had our mailbox vandalized in the middle of the night-while a family member was attending church on wednesday night on
james burgess road, people came by and smashed the windows of a couple
of cars and stole wallets, purses, etc.-"cruising" cars going through our neighborhood all hours of the night and -stopping at random houses looking for G-d knows what-groups of people "hanging out" in the streets late at night in residential areas
and recently, we heard of an abandoned school located off 141
behind a shopping mall— around sharon road. we thought it would be okay
to take a peek at night (hey, it's forsyth county, right?). i'm talking
about me and my 56 year old dad. looking inside the school we found a
lot of vandalism, but it didn't bother us until a pickup truck drove up
outside with a guy holding a gun in it. he held us there until the
police arrived to make a record of it, when he explained that he has
people coming up in there all times of night vandalizing his adjacent
property (he didn't own the school, which is owned by the county) and
using it as a meeting place.

not to mention the body they just found in the woods a couple of days ago there.

you need to stop being so coy and just come out and join the KKK. sheesh.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
his reply:

Quote:
First off, Daniel—nice set of (almost entirely white) friends on Facebook! I could be wrong, and camera lighting is sometimes ambiguous, but I didn't spot a single "African American" in the group. Living in Georgia, it's almost mathematically impossible to have so few black friends, but you've done it, champ! If one wasn't looking closely, they'd think you lived in Idaho or something.

"but as for your comments about 'crime being where black people are', you are a ****ing idiot."

(Daniel then goes on to list anecdotes alleging rampant crime among Forsyth County's hillbilly primitives.)

Nice anecdotes. Leftists and egalitarians tend to lean on them rather heavily. Wonder what the statistics actually say?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Oops! The Bluff scores a perfect 10 out of 10 for violent crime. Forsyth County rates only a 3, which is actually below the national average:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Forsyth ranks higher than the national average for property crime, but still below The Bluff.

Sorry, Daniel, you'll have to come up with a better game plan than calling me a "****ing idiot." Tossing the word "racist" like it's a bomb doesn't have the silencing effect it might have elsewhere, either. These are not the things of which logical arguments are made. We're more concerned with facts.

The statistics and facts are all on my side. Blacks commit far more crime per capita. We can go from city to city, from state to state, and from country to country if you'd like.

Better yet, show me a place anywhere on Earth where the life span, the per-capita income, and the standardized-test scores have increased—and the crime rate has decreased—when the population turns majority-black. Just one. That's all I ask. I'd sincerely like to see where such a phenomenon has occurred, because we could all learn some valuable lessons from it.

I've been asking the same question for twenty years—where do blacks improve conditions rather than make them worse? Instead of ever getting a coherent answer, I get low-caliber, low-calorie emotional attacks such as yours.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
and what i wrote back:

Quote:
first off, my personal life has nothing to do with this discussion. secondly, i'm no liberal, but don't block all conservatives in with your racist mantra. i'm tired of this undercover 'scientific' racism. it's crap.

second of all, there are bad black neighborhoods and good ones. if you had any sense you'd see the good black neighborhoods around lithonia and along cascade road. look at stonecrest mall, the population has turned mostly black there and the neighborhood is fine.

also, have you never heard of the 'harlem renaissance'?

the problem with your question is that your entire plane of thinking has been clouded by prejudice. the fact that you can't see the problem with asking a question like

"Better yet, show me a place anywhere on Earth where the life span, the
per-capita income, and the standardized-test scores have increased—and
the crime rate has decreased—when the population turns majority-black."

shows where you are coming from. honestly i've provided you with three examples to your query but the truth of the matter is that you don't care whether i give you what you're asking for or not, because it only undermines your motives.

as to another poster, i'm aware of the issue with the gangsta stuff among young folks. i think it has really gone too far in some circumstances, where the rappers have this image that they have street cred that they have to maintain. honestly many of the rappers out there are fine human beings and a lot of the violent lyrics confront the types of issues that people don't want to talk about. the thing is, you can't sell records with just a voice, you've got to have this whole 'hood image and it spreads to the kids and they get the wrong idea entirely. however i don't think this has resulted in massive crime increases or anything, just a lot more stupid kids.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i honestly found it offensive. i'm not black, though, i'm jewish. just the stuff that he was implying about the black community as a whole i thought was wrong. here's what i said in the comments section along with what he posted to me:

his reply:

and what i wrote back:
It is very offensive but I have to look at where it's coming from, the person who wrote that obviously has a bone to pick and judging from most of the comments that entire site is obviously leaning in a certain direction. So it really doesn't surprise me. I actually bookmarked that site and when I have some more free time Im going to look at some of the other stuff on there.

And just WOW to that exchange, that's crazy. If I had more energy I'd jump in the fray, maybe tomorrow. And smh @ that guy doing background research on you before he responded. What a loon. Matter of fact I will probably jump in that fray.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM

714 posts, read 814,457 times
Quote:
And just WOW to that exchange, that's crazy. If I had more energy I'd jump in the fray, maybe tomorrow. And smh @ that guy doing background research on you before he responded. What a loon. Matter of fact I will probably jump in that fray.
Oooooooh. I bet he's terrified. Or not....

Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,323,914 times
lol, Jim Goad took Bryant to the woodshed.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Oooooooh. I bet he's terrified. Or not....

You do realize we were talking about a totally different blog on a completely different website right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta