Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM

567 posts, read 891,918 times

Advertisements

Before we can have a Time Square we should have people who will walk to the square. I think the main focus should be on residential development in the core of the city. There is seriously a problem when restaurants and businesses close on Saturday because there isn't enough pedestrian traffic. Not enough people live down there to do that type of thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,538,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
When you have this preconceived and completely planned idea for this area to be the "Times Square of the South", it's definitely inorganic. There are other parts of downtown that can already support this plan, in my opinion.
I don't see anywhere that there's a massive planned development, just one building. It seems like this might be the only thing so far. I don't think it's wrong to emulate NY when it comes to something like this and like someone else said, plenty of other cities have areas like this. Atlanta is a fairly prominent media center so it would make sense, especially where they are considering building it. Of course now isn't the best time for huge developments but I don't think they are trying to force it all at once.

It would tie into that side of town's already touristy nature.

This is much better than that stupid Ferris Wheel idea.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I don't see anywhere that there's a massive planned development, just one building. It seems like this might be the only thing so far. I don't think it's wrong to emulate NY when it comes to something like this and like someone else said, plenty of other cities have areas like this. Atlanta is a fairly prominent media center so it would make sense, especially where they are considering building it. Of course now isn't the best time for huge developments but I don't think they are trying to force it all at once.

It would tie into that side of town's already touristy nature.

This is much better than that stupid Ferris Wheel idea.
It still seems too inorganic, as well as a little pretentious. I also don't see it happening in that specific area. Building a brand new building complete with big screens (showing what?), to act as part of a "Times Square" effect in an area that isn't necessarily bustling with foot traffic? If that doesn't sound forced, then I don't know what does.

If they're itching to be like New York that bad, then Five Points would be the best bet, hands down.

And I liked the ferris wheel idea.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,538,180 times
Quote:
It still seems too inorganic, as well as a little pretentious. I also don't see it happening in that specific area. Building a brand new building complete with big screens (showing what?), to act as part of a "Times Square" effect in an area that isn't necessarily bustling with foot traffic? If that doesn't sound forced, then I don't know what does.

If they're itching to be like New York that bad, then Five Points would be the best bet, hands down.

If there's any area "bustling" with foot traffic in Atlanta, it's the area around CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park. All the tourist attractions are right there and several more are in the works(College Football HOF, etc.). When there are events at the Dome, GWCC, or Phillips it gets fairly crowded down there. A lot of new development is happening on the west side and it still has the space for something like this.

I still don't understand how this is "trying to be like NY." The guy used "Times Square South" to describe what he had in mind because everybody knows what Times Square is like.

Five Points could work but I think it'd be focusing on the wrong audience for something like this. This is the sort of thing tourists would probably be more into than residents and the tourists are already drawn to that part of town(Centennial) anyway. Bring in some flashy screens and some tacky restaurants and shops and it may actually work. It's not like Times Square is some "organic" non-pretentious thing itself.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
If there's any area "bustling" with foot traffic in Atlanta, it's the area around CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park. All the tourist attractions are right there and several more are in the works(College Football HOF, etc.). When there are events at the Dome, GWCC, or Phillips it gets fairly crowded down there. A lot of new development is happening on the west side and it still has the space for something like this.

I still don't understand how this is "trying to be like NY." The guy used "Times Square South" to describe what he had in mind because everybody knows what Times Square is like.

Five Points could work but I think it'd be focusing on the wrong audience for something like this. This is the sort of thing tourists would probably be more into than residents and the tourists are already drawn to that part of town(Centennial) anyway. Bring in some flashy screens and some tacky restaurants and shops and it may actually work. It's not like Times Square is some "organic" non-pretentious thing itself.
Times Square certainly did begin as an organic creation. It wasn't until the 90s, during Guiliani's reign, that it became the Disney-fied tourist trap that it is today. It was a completely different place in the 1980s and earlier.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,028,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Before we can have a Time Square we should have people who will walk to the square. I think the main focus should be on residential development in the core of the city. There is seriously a problem when restaurants and businesses close on Saturday because there isn't enough pedestrian traffic. Not enough people live down there to do that type of thing..
No one lives in Times Square in New York. It's all tourist oriented.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,028,601 times
Quote:
Times Square certainly did begin as an organic creation. It wasn't until the 90s, during Guiliani's reign, that it became the Disney-fied tourist trap that it is today. It was a completely different place in the 1980s and earlier.
I assume that the person doing this wants the modern Disney-esque Times Square, not the old school liquor store and peep show Times Square. I do miss the old Times Square though.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,418,551 times
Quote:

Anyone know what has happened with the ferris wheel thingy?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I assume that the person doing this wants the modern Disney-esque Times Square, not the old school liquor store and peep show Times Square. I do miss the old Times Square though.
Yeah, well we can thank the Repubs and their money for that. I'd hate to see Atlanta jump that shark.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,953,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No one lives in Times Square in New York. It's all tourist oriented.
Thousands and thousands of people live in Times Square. There are at least a dozen brand new 40-50 story residential highrises within 1 block of the "crossroads of the world". I moved to Atlanta directly from one of them on 43rd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: