Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What an absolute load of crap, from beginning to end.

Do you have PROOF of any of this, or are you just passing off your OPINION as fact?
Hear, hear! Hear, hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Critical reading and source evaluation skills...

look into them.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Critical reading and source evaluation skills...

look into them.
More bitterness from the anti-Atlanta brigade...

Last edited by aries4118; 10-03-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
More bitterness from the anti-Atlanta brigade...
Neither Anti-Atlanta not Pro-Atlanta is constructive, IMO.

People need to see Atlanta for what it is ... a wonderful city (and metro area) with a ton of potential for improvement, but also a city with some fairly serious problems it needs to address.

It isn't all doom and gloom here by any means, but the situation isn't as rosy as some here would have you believe, either.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

People need to see Atlanta for what it is ... a wonderful city (and metro area) with a ton of potential for improvement, but also a city with some fairly serious problems it needs to address.

It isn't all doom and gloom here by any means, but the situation isn't as rosy as some here would have you believe, either

I totally agree.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Quote:

It isn't all doom and gloom here by any means, but the situation isn't as rosy as some here would have you believe, either.
Exactly. You bring up valid criticisms of this city and the Atlanta Defense Corps starts whining about how anti-Atlanta you are. Realism, people. It's where it's at.

Aries, that article you posted was written by an avowed anti-transit advocate. Apparently you just read the headline and didn't bother to read(or didn't really think about) the rest of the article. What was the point of maligning Portland? Maybe because it has become a model for transit which other cities(including Atlanta) are looking up to? It's an irrelevant article for this thread anyway. You may as well have posted an article from that racist "anti-racist" you love so much.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 50,008 times
Quote:
I almost agree, it's just not worded quite right:

It isn't all rosy here by any means, but the situation isn't all doom and gloom as some here would have you believe, either.

I would have never jumped in if not for all the ill-informed Atlanta-bashing about the job losses. Atlanta's not the best city in the country, by no means, but I am of the opinion that it is in the top 5% of metro areas with more than 2,000,000 people.

For my preferences, there may be 5 or 6 large metro areas that offer a higher quality of life. San Diego has beautiful weather and a nice location, but a lot of violence because of it's proximity to the border. Chicago has a great, vibrant nightlife, but out-of-control politics and dreadfully cold winters. There's something bad about every city. No one said Atlanta was perfect.

If you can't find a job in your field, then by all means move wherever the work is. But it's not Atlanta's fault. Except for a corporate attorney and a CPA, the rest of my family members are employed in high-level IT jobs, yes, here in Atlanta.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertude View Post
If you can't find a job in your field, then by all means move wherever the work is. But it's not Atlanta's fault. Except for a corporate attorney and a CPA, the rest of my family members are employed in high-level IT jobs, yes, here in Atlanta.
Employment in high-level IT is not a problem. Companies are begging for them.

So how did you break into the field? I'm finding it impossible to have the level of expertise demanded by companies while I am well grounded in the fundamentals.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Employment in high-level IT is not a problem. Companies are begging for them.

So how did you break into the field? I'm finding it impossible to have the level of expertise demanded by companies while I am well grounded in the fundamentals.
I broke into the field a couple of decades ago via an entry-level position that was posted in a local newspaper.

The only surefire way to get legitimate experience is through accumulated experience, unfortunately. It takes time. Certifications aren't really a replacement for that, though some certifications are very useful for some types of positions.

Alternatively, you can stretch the truth on your resume slightly to get past the HR filters, be extremely convincing in the interview, and then learn as you go (as I've heard some advocate). Some companies are fine with that.

I don't personally recommend the latter, since it seems dishonest to me, but sometimes it does seem like the only viable solution. And I've seen folks with "experience" do a lot more harm than someone out of school likely would.

(Experience doesn't replace idiocy ... sometimes it enhances it. *Sigh*)

It really depends on the position. I was brought up as a programmer/analyst in an IT environment where newcomers were brought into the fold and shown the ropes by senior programmers, and that doesn't seem as common these days. Companies are much ... pickier. I don't get it, but then again I'm also still on a technical track, not a manager. My own preference is for people with the right attitude and basic aptitude, not experience so much, but I tend to be old school that way...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-03-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Removed redundant work redundancy.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Exactly. You bring up valid criticisms of this city and the Atlanta Defense Corps starts whining about how anti-Atlanta you are. Realism, people. It's where it's at.

Aries, that article you posted was written by an avowed anti-transit advocate. Apparently you just read the headline and didn't bother to read(or didn't really think about) the rest of the article. What was the point of maligning Portland? Maybe because it has become a model for transit which other cities(including Atlanta) are looking up to? It's an irrelevant article for this thread anyway. You may as well have posted an article from that racist "anti-racist" you love so much.

DTL3000--

I am not so dogmatic as to not see valid points in a position that may I not agree with on a macro-level.

Improving mass transit and keeping Atlanta affordable do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I have lived extensively in the Northeast U.S., for example--I do not want Atlanta to become that. The point is to make Atlanta a better Atlanta--and to know the attributes that already make it a great place to live.

And don't cry because the Abagond postings read you like a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta