Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

32 posts, read 61,912 times

Advertisements

Oh no chicken little! The sky is falling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM

454 posts, read 822,017 times
This is no surprise:

Atlanta and even more so GA are not creating an environment where high end companies and their staff want to live. Instead we have a Walmart mentality (want to pay for nothing, schools, infrastructure, parks etc) and are attracting Walmart type businesses and customers to live here.

If all our leaders want to do is lower taxes to attract low end blue collar jobs and exploitive companies then is it any surprise this is the result...........

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM

714 posts, read 814,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post
I heard on the radio it bled the least out of the rest of big cities...hmmm
You heard it WAY wrong:

"The Atlanta region lost more jobs the last year than any other metro area, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday...

“Out of almost 400 metropolitan areas, we’re dead last....Some small metro areas registered a greater percentage loss of jobs, but among major metro areas Atlanta was worst in both total number and percentage.

Atlanta top metro area -- for job losses *| ajc.com

Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

815 posts, read 1,860,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Perhaps. Who will hire them?
That is the main issue, smart people will fly the coop if you don't have an incentive to offer them. I once considered Atlanta until I started doing job searches, then moved elsewhere in the country b/c of industry/salary. Atlanta would actually be the easiest big city for me to live in, with terms of close to family, oh well.
Why would I stay around Atlanta when I could go out and work in the SF tech market for instance? Or even Raleigh research Triangle, Austin, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Orlando/Tampa, Seattle tech corridors.
I'd like to see the data on Georgia Tech and Emory CS/Engineering grads and where they go after graduation.
This data is not surprising, it verifies the trends I was looking at years ago in terms of job market and what people were chattering about on job forums like Dice about Atlanta.
Even in the south, why stay in Atlanta if I can just go to Houston/Dallas/Austin/Raleigh.Orlando-Tampa... all better markets for what I do.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM

32 posts, read 61,912 times
One thing being missed here is that there are quite a few high end technical white collar job openings around Atlanta, with no one qualified to fill the positions except those who already have jobs. Sometimes statistics can be misleading since they don't account for open job requirements of companies...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
This is no surprise:

Atlanta and even more so GA are not creating an environment where high end companies and their staff want to live. Instead we have a Walmart mentality (want to pay for nothing, schools, infrastructure, parks etc) and are attracting Walmart type businesses and customers to live here.

If all our leaders want to do is lower taxes to attract low end blue collar jobs and exploitive companies then is it any surprise this is the result...........
True dat

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
It's clear that having governors and a state legislature hostile to Atlanta have produce disastrous results for the city as well as the state. As Atlanta goes, so goes the state. Until the citizens of this state insist on better political leaders in both parties (the Democrats are weak, scared, and don't offer a clear contrast), the state will suffer and continue to reverse the decades of progress made when Georgia was a solidly "purple". We will continue to have an economy that lags the nation's so long as we are lead by one political party filled with extremists.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,576,946 times
That ish Cray!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,576,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyDecker View Post
The housing market crashed over 3 years ago and these stats are looking at just the last 12 months, therefore it doesn't appear that these job losses can be blamed on the lousy housing market. This doesn't look good folks!
No it does not look good. It seems fishy Atlanta is at the bottom of the list....I wonder if the racial make up of the city has ANYTHING to do with these numbers. Many of these companies based here have a presence in other metro cities. Seems weird Atlanta would be at the bottom.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I wonder if the racial make up of the city has ANYTHING to do with these numbers.
There you go again. Why would race have anything to do with it when even Detroit has posted a respectable gain????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta