Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,568,171 times

Advertisements

High unemployment and all, Atlanta remains a top 10 place for young adults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM

454 posts, read 821,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
One thing being missed here is that there are quite a few high end technical white collar job openings around Atlanta, with no one qualified to fill the positions except those who already have jobs. Sometimes statistics can be misleading since they don't account for open job requirements of companies...
Yes totally true lots of high paid technical jobs going empty.

What there isn't though is high end companies moving here. All the true movers and shakers I know are looking elsewhere. Mainly the NE or Northern Cali.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM

815 posts, read 1,860,090 times
Quote:
One thing being missed here is that there are quite a few high end technical white collar job openings around Atlanta, with no one qualified to fill the positions except those who already have jobs. Sometimes statistics can be misleading since they don't account for open job requirements of companies...
You forget that technical people are extremely calculating. Meaning, they calculate salary, the company it is, possibilities of moving up in that company, the cost of living of the area. Everything. Atlanta comes up short in this way and loses to the areas I mentioned. I can't really comment on other fields though.
Also working in some companies IT department is not the same thing as working for software development/hardware/research/startup/engineering companies. Every company large enough is going to have standard SAP/Oracle/Microsoft type business IT jobs...again, not the same thing as real tech companies, it's more of the modern back office.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,568,171 times
Here is a reputation comment someone gifted to me about the above post:

"Wealthier Americans want to be in big cities, with high culture, density, lots of education. NY, DC, San Fran are the hotspots for young executives. GA is too backwards, too Republican, too religious and now too poor."

I've heard that the moderators know how to handle ghost reps. Can a moderator take care of this?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,540,404 times
^^ I had no problem with it and I got it. Its their opinion, its not like they insulted your grandmother or something

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM

43 posts, read 90,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
This is no surprise:

Atlanta and even more so GA are not creating an environment where high end companies and their staff want to live. Instead we have a Walmart mentality (want to pay for nothing, schools, infrastructure, parks etc) and are attracting Walmart type businesses and customers to live here.

If all our leaders want to do is lower taxes to attract low end blue collar jobs and exploitive companies then is it any surprise this is the result...........

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Oh no chicken little! The sky is falling!
Denial doesn't really help the situation. It isn't the end of the world, but data like this does indicate that Atlanta (and Georgia) probably needs to make some adjustments if it wants to continue to compete as it has been in the past.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Most of those positions will always be empty because the companies in question are looking for drop-in resources who are scarce even in a good economy.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM

349 posts, read 782,035 times
I got my start in IT in Atlanta. Hard to believe it's so bad though. As far as ATL having high tech employees I find it hard to believe that no graduates from our top universities are worthy. Often what happens is the person hiring has no technical background and just tries to look for keywords for certain technical skills. However any CS grad should be able to pick up on any technical skill. It's sort of like not getting a job as a pharmacist because you only know Walgreen's system and not CSV's. In reality you could pick it up because you have that foundation. It's really just an excuse to hire cheaper overseas workers IMO.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I got my start in IT in Atlanta. Hard to believe it's so bad though. As far as ATL having high tech employees I find it hard to believe that no graduates from our top universities are worthy. Often what happens is the person hiring has no technical background and just tries to look for keywords for certain technical skills. However any CS grad should be able to pick up on any technical skill. It's sort of like not getting a job as a pharmacist because you only know Walgreen's system and not CSV's. In reality you could pick it up because you have that foundation. It's really just an excuse to hire cheaper overseas workers IMO.
Companies seem to want drop-in units. No training required.

For certain positions that isn't an unreasonable expectaton, since it's the hard experience a person possesses that adds value (technical skills by themselves are not always enough), but you're right that some positions could be filled right out of college.

I personally think that HR departments are the bane of the IT industry, or at least of most IT employees. They seem to look for keywords without appearing to understand the relationship between various skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta