Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:25 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times

Advertisements

Hi, just a quick question. Has anyone been experiencing excessive numbers of ANTS in their home? I recently (2 years ago - laugh), moved to Fayette county and this year no matter what has been done the ants have been out of control in my house. If I see one more of those little critters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Got ants??

Anyone else having the same problem??

Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,408 times
You can and should do two things.

1. find out why the ants are attracted to your home

2. place ant poison and/or call an exterminator to find and kill the nest.

I've done all but call an exterminator for my NY home. I've cleaned up the crap (food) left around in my house. Then tracked down where they were coming in from and place poisons in those locations. I used Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions and it works great. Just place this where the ant trail is coming into your home and they will turn to it and kill themselves

I've also used Ortho® Home Defense MAX® Insect Killer Granules to put around the perimeter of my house and the ants don't go near this stuff.

Spraying them in the home does nothing they just keep coming back. You have to ultimately take out the nest. So if you are patient enough to find it you can place poison there or through boiling hot water down it.

I haven't had a serious ant problem in a month. 1 or 2 scouts but I stomp them out.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 52,273 times
Look up Do it Yourself Pest Control in Chamblee. They have baits to wipe out the entire colony.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM

61 posts, read 245,816 times
Not in Fayetteville, but Cumberland. Since yesterday, the propery we manage has had ants crawling out of every surface imaginable!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,859 times
This is such a coincidence, a few weeks ago, my exterminator (who was phenominal, sorry about the spelling), said that he had gotten more calls in Fayetteville because of ants. Luckily (know on wood), I haven't had that problem and I live in Fayetteville. I swear, the hotter it gets, the more pests are LOVING it! I would just maintain a GREAT relationship will an exterminating company.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I know that parts of the south are known for ants, but this is reaaally something. Nest hunting tomorrow!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM

29 posts, read 203,761 times
I "think" (hope & pray!) we finally got rid of our ants! We'd been having a problem since late June, as soon as we stopped them from coming in one area, they tunneled & came in somewhere else.

We use Cooks Pest Control. Said they've gotten more calls on ants this summer than they have in a long time partially because of the drought - they're looking for water & I believe it because they were coming up through the drain in the guest bathtub at one point!

close off all drains in your bathrooms & kitchen area. Put a stopper in it for the time being.

We have regular service w/cooks & they kept coming til we got rid of them. They sprayed 2x inside & outside the house before we stopped seeing them. We also put down ant traps & when it seemed like they were trying to take over, I kept ant spray at the ready. Between all these methods something must've taken out the colony.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 PM

26 posts, read 111,570 times
Sprinkle a little powdered cleanser such as Comet or Ajax in your wet sink and tub drains after each use and be sure to wipe water off countertops and faucets immediately. Ants can't stand those powdered household cleansers and it sure beats spraying pesticides inside your house.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
AJC mentions the ant invasion:

Ants are marching | Fayette.Talk | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/Metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/fayettetalk/entries/2007/08/15/ants_are_marching.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta