Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,596 times

Advertisements

Cummings is very popular and yes you get a lot for your money. The schools are also good. For me, it is too far away from the city. But for many families with kids, their life revolves around work and school and kids activities and they are perfectly happy out in the suburbs.

The real difference is going to be Forsyth County vs Fulton County. I will let others speak to the pros and cons since I live in Cobb County. Some residents in Fulton get very frustrated as there are competing needs between North Fulton and South Fulton - many moons ago they were two different counties. That does not mean that Forsyth is necessarily better but the county issues are going to be more of an issue than the differences in the individual cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM

738 posts, read 1,378,954 times
Cumming is nice and family-friendly, but the downtown isn't particularly cute. You might check out Woodstock.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM

876 posts, read 2,280,437 times
Cumming in Forsyth or North Fulton (Alpharetta / Roswell) are both fine choices. The schools are probably a bit stronger academically in North Fulton, but you can get a better deal for a house in Forsyth area. There are plenty of threads here on either areas if you do your research. Based on what you describe, I would go with either area. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM

538 posts, read 926,784 times
I think you should check out the City of Atlanta schools.....you can live intown and your kids will get a superior education in a "diverse environment"....the Superintenant was recently given huge bonuses for performance increases amongst the City of Atlanta schools based upon increases in standardized testing scores ("by any means necessary baby!"). There is very little violence and disruption in that school system and the parents and PTAs are constantly striving for excellence. Why in heavens name would you send your kids to a school in Alpharetta or Cumming(s)....those areas lack "diversity" and "culture" and they fail to adequately "compensate" for their students who score poorly on standardized testing........

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM

799 posts, read 1,096,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl_19 View Post
Meant...we don't want housing development where the houses are so close to you next door neighbor. We've seen developments where the houses are so close to each other and where you can see what your neighbor is doing in the backyard....we don't want that. we want some privacy. i know this sounds like a laundry list. hopefully there's some subdivision out there that has most of these things and we can compromise on other things. Schooling for the kids is paramount though. I want them to be happily situated in their new school.
Probably Fayette County then...

Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM

38 posts, read 140,242 times
hi all,

i've been doing more research now.

1. how about WALTON high school & LASSITER high school? (is that marietta or roswell area?). does anyone know of any GOOD SUBDIVISIONS upto the $400K RANGE. i know in that area it'll probably get us into a house with less than 1 acre. ideally, we'd like a newer construction house yr 2000 and up with at least 1 acre land, but i know with that budget we probably won't get it. sigh.

2. also i know people have talked about the swim team at the high school what is the SUMMER / WINTER SWIM TEAM around that area.

3. can anyone suggest a couple of MIDDLE SCHOOLS that FEED into WALTON or LASSITER.

4. is there a county closing tax that is imposed. where i come from there was a 1% tax on the sale value of home that the county imposed that we had to pay at closing. there's also 1% tax when we sell as well. is there also a similar tax in georgia counties? is there a work tax as well?

5. is there anything else i should be aware of like redistricting of the school boundaries or proposed / up and coming property tax increases, issues with teacher strikes, issues with sewer/water, crime/gangs?

6. is it common for realtors there to give buyer rebates?

sorry for all the additional questions. we're sort of doing this blind because we don't know the area at all and we don't have a lot of time on the ground when we get there to look at homes etc.

thanx everyone in advance

Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,596 times
Walton and Lassiter are excellent schools. The area is called East Cobb which is basicaly east of Marietta and west of Roswell.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,896,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Walton and Lassiter are excellent schools. The area is called East Cobb which is basicaly east of Marietta and west of Roswell.
True. Homes in East Cobb are not in either the City of Marietta or the City of Roswell - but they will have a street address that has either "Marietta" or "Roswell" as the city name. If searching for homes on a real estate website, use the search-by-school-name feature to find homes in the area you want.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,896,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl_19 View Post

3. can anyone suggest a couple of MIDDLE SCHOOLS that FEED into WALTON or LASSITER.
Mabry Middle feeds entirely into Lassiter. Simpson Middle feeds partly into Lassiter and partly into Sprayberry High School. That's another good East Cobb high school although doesn't have the cachet of the "big three" which are Walton, Pope and Lassiter. (Your search seems to have skipped over Pope, which is located right between Walton and Lassiter).

Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,672,631 times
We don't have teacher strikes because we don't have unions. We do start school in 5-6 weeks depending on the system. Cobb and Fulton start August 15th.

Most on the board live N. Metro, but you might consider Fayette County. School system consistently has some of the top scores in the state and offers easy access to the airport, I think.

Most schools in East Cobb will be fine. Walton has a bit of a reputation as a pressure cooker academically and also in individual sports like tennis and golf. I can't speak to swimming.

For year round swimming, the two I am most familiar with are Dynamo and Swim Atlanta.

Dynamo's facilities are in Chamblee and Alpharetta.

Dynamo Swim Club :

Swim Atlanta has far more locations:

Cobb Swim Team ~ SwimAtlanta

Google found this serving the S. Metro area:

Southern Cresent Aquatic Team :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta