Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitalonip View Post
I'm a native of San Francisco California. I'll be in Georgia next week. Lawrenceville, GA is the area we are considering calling home. I have traveled to Atlanta many times and have contemplated moving for a long time. I'm excited as well scared of such a move with two small children 5 & 3. Base and my limited research, it is my understanding that schools are great in Gwinnett and the overall community is growing and has many of the cultural dynamics I would find in San Francisco. (Happen, some of the best shopping & Food, friendly, health and green conscious, lot of tourist & beautiful HOMES and VIEWS) Is there anything anyone who lives in Lawrenceville or knows the area pretty well can tell me that I would not have been able to ascertain from my internet searches ???
I plan to make Georgia my HOME

Thank You so much!!
Hi there,
I found the best areas on Lawrencville are the zips 30045,30043 and 30044. The schools in the are that are best from all indications including testing and AYP are Mill Creek and Collins Hill. I have been told that N Gwinnette schools are very good too. S. Not....
I am considering moving to L'ville as well. Calling Snellville GA home as of Oct 1 until we find a home to purchas of our own..Hope this helps..Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
We sold our home of 20+ years and moved from Oakland to Lawrenceville a few years ago and we are slowly growing accustomed to the area. if you own a home in San Francisco and it is at all possible, I would advise renting out that property and trying it here on a trial basis. Things here are pretty well spread out and traffic is worst here than the Bay Area especially since the freeway system is not as advanced by any means. There is a current water drought that could go from bad to worse and the growth factor for new homes is tremendous while the roads have not been expanded to accomodate the growth. And there isn't alot of buses or transportation methods especially in Lawrenceville unless you own a car.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,157 times
Default Looking to move also

My family may be moving to Lawrenceville from central valley Cali (Stockton) From the research I gathered that you can get a great home between $150k and $200k. These would generally be older homes though (built in the 80's or 90's) Can someone confirm if the Brookwood school area is one of the better places to be? A home I was looking at would be local to Brookwood HS, Five Forks middle school and Craig elementary. I've read that the area is racially diverse but the city data shows is mainly white. How is it compared to bay area/central valley california where it's a pretty good mix (i.e. if I'm at the mall you'll see a fairly equal mix of white, black, hispanic and asian) Anyway I'll be in GA next week to look around. Any info/advice is much appreciated!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,943 times
Default Lawrenceville/Gwinnett

Brookwood is one of the best in the area, and often has the best scores. Some other good schools are Collins Hill, Peachtree Ridge, Parkview, Dacula, Mill Creek, and Grayson. Schools with a lot of free lunch and problem children-Meadow Creek, Berkmar, Central Gwinnett, and South Gwinnett. I go to church in Lilburn, where most of the kids go to Parkview and Brookwood. There is a lot of diversity. However, watch out for Lilburn. The only good patch are the homes in the Parkview or Brookwood dist.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,153 times
Default Diversity

Okay. Many of you are saying that there is quite a bit of diversity in the area. However, I just finished reading a post from someone saying that they had dinner with a diverse group being from England, Scottland, Ireland and a few Americans.

I'm sorry, but that is not diverse in my book. Diversity would constitute people of other colors, for example, hispanic, black, indian, asian, etc.
The group mentioned above is still all white.

Can anyone tell me if there is truly diversity in this community or not?

Thank you,

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luashtal View Post
Okay. Many of you are saying that there is quite a bit of diversity in the area. However, I just finished reading a post from someone saying that they had dinner with a diverse group being from England, Scottland, Ireland and a few Americans.

I'm sorry, but that is not diverse in my book. Diversity would constitute people of other colors, for example, hispanic, black, indian, asian, etc.
The group mentioned above is still all white.

Can anyone tell me if there is truly diversity in this community or not?

Thank you,
I am certain there are 'a few' families that socialize more diversely. This area was once primarily farmland settled by English and Scots-Irish, IIRC.

Around the city of Decatur and the Intown neighborhoods of the city of Atlanta you would find more diversity.

Tossing in my $.02.

bhs

Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 PM

Very scary that you find a group from England, Germany and Scottland a diverse group. If that is what you call diverse, you must have led a very sheltered life.

This group is still European or white. How is that diverse?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I am certain there are 'a few' families that socialize more diversely. This area was once primarily farmland settled by English and Scots-Irish, IIRC.

Around the city of Decatur and the Intown neighborhoods of the city of Atlanta you would find more diversity.

Tossing in my $.02.

bhs
I understand. That makes sense, but why does everyone keep saying that this is a diverse community?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Very scary that you find a group from England, Germany and Scottland a diverse group. If that is what you call diverse, you must have led a very sheltered life.

This group is still European or white. How is that diverse?
I would not call such a group diverse.

There have been numerous threads analyzing the diversity of the metro Atlanta area. Posters seem to conclude that there are some boundaries among the races. I imagine many people lead very busy lives--commuting several hours a day from Lawrenceville is time consuming and trying to take care of family responsibilities may inhibit getting to know others.

There are many transplants in the metro area and maybe that is a factor?

Some of the posts on diversity theorized eloquently and I wish I could recall more of substance.

ETA--
Previous thread on diversity>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...diversity.html

Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I understand. That makes sense, but why does everyone keep saying that this is a diverse community?

It is becoming 'more diverse'.

Gwinnett County was primarily Caucasian until the late 80's/early 90's.

The Hispanic and Asian communities developed along Buford Hwy and the population shifted north. The Pleasant Hill/Gwinnett Mall area is now largely Asian. The population continues to move north.

Hispanics found work in the industries of Gwinnett, Hall and Forsyth counties--low paying jobs and many transplants moved into upscale communities in these areas to fill high tech jobs. That is the sort of diversity that exists.

bhs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta