Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM

61 posts, read 246,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamomnva View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts of Peachtree City vs. Lawrenceville? We are relocating to Atlanta from the DC metro area. The home price that we are looking at is anywhere between 350K-450K. We were looking at newer subdivisions near Treble Run Park (sp?) or either Peachtree City. The area MUST have diversity, and excellent schools. I heard there was quite a bit of gang activity in the Lawrenceville area. This forum helps a lot, but there is so much conflicting info. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Hi there! I have family in both L'Ville and PTC...I would vote for PTC any day. Its cleaner, safer feeling, and has lots of new developement. It is just a nicer area in general. Lawrenceville is large and has many decaying areas. I would agree with the OP who said that near the Mall of Georgia and highway 120 are better. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 PM

61 posts, read 246,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I don't think that you will find Lawrenceville very "health and green conscious." Most of Gwinnett is Republican country.

Sorry to step in and disagree right off the bat, but I think that statement is irrelevant. While I dont think the GA as a whole is very green conscious...I dont really think it is due to political offiliation.

I do however think that if you like lots of "greenery", meaning dense tree cover, GA certainly has that. I believe that WSB Radio reported that we have the most densely forested metro area in the country! While that can be nice...it is not great if you have bad allergies!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM

19 posts, read 117,541 times
Thanks so much! This is why I love this site. I have been posting for the past week, and I am still confused! The deciding factor will be when we drive down on Wed., and have a chance to spend some time in the areas mentioned above. Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,353,363 times
Lets keep this thread nonpolitical please. If you want to discuss the merits of republicans and democrats there is a subforum dedicated to that, but this is not place for that discussion. Please bring it back to topic.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 AM

7 posts, read 41,741 times
Yes! I'm talking about Georgia you're funny and Eco ''Green" is what I'm speaking of. I have certainly enjoyed your feedback. Very informative and I had not thought about using a relocation service in determining areas.

I'm using a relocation service now and they just ask Oh! Where should we ship this? & because I intend to rent the 1st yr. Agents talk the most after you have been pre-approved for purchase so I had not consider them much either. But thanks so much!!

I love San Francisco. If I truly thought I could afford what I wanted TODAY! Not in 10-20 I would stay. I have two small children 5 & 2 that I would like to have a certain quality of life and exposure. I went to college in Nashville, TN graduated & came back to the city. My friends migrated over the south many into Georgia whom have since brought a home(s). I have one friend who lives b/t here and there and owns 5 homes there. That can be done here too it's just a lot harder and generally requires a business partner or dealing in rehab/ foreclosures. Property here moves like candy. Now considering that the housing market is slow nationally. It is just that Slooooow, the actual prices here haven't declined. And above all Atlanta is the "what's happen NOW" Mecca, Shopping galore! No. I didn’t mind your asking. Georgia seems to be where you can have the best of both worlds. Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Um.. you're talking about Atlanta, GEORGIA, right?

Ok, Gwinnett is the most culturally diverse area of metro Atlanta overall, and if you don't mind mostly national chain restaurants and shopping stores, then there are a lot of choices (Discover Mills Mall, Gwinnett Place Mall, and the Mall of Georgia, etc). Crime is growing in SOME areas of Gwinnett (including the Lawrenceville area) but your best bet is to really talk to a real estate agent (or two) and a relocation service and ask them to be brutally blunt about the areas you want to avoid.

Friendly - it's relative. People from all over the world are moving to that area, so you're likely to have a down-home friendly BBQ family on one side and a snotty person on the other. It's varied. "Green"? No. Gwinnett is one of the worst traffic areas in metro Atlanta. They will not allow Atlanta's rail system (MARTA) to expand into their county, and they have an extremely limited bus system of their own, so, in terms of "green" - they do have a lot of TREES, but if you mean "eco-green", it's not exactly a poster child for it.

If you don't mind my asking - why leave San Fran for Atlanta of all other choices in the U.S.?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,119,804 times
Perhaps my post was too succinct to convey appropriate meaning, but I find that when people use words like "green and health conscious," especially the word "green", they are often talking about a specific worldview, a more liberal (left wing, progressive, whatever they call it these days) outlook - e.g the stereotypical Whole Foods shopper, Volvo driver, etc. Maybe it is my own stereotype of San Franciscans, but my point was that Gwinnett county is a very different culture from that part of the country, being statistically a Republican stonghold. My intent was not to say that Republicans are in favor of pillaging the earth or living unhealthy lifestyles, nor to say anything negative about any particular political ideology.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,485 times
Talking Lawrenceville is Great

We have lived in Lawrenceville for 3 years now. We are both native Georgians. We live in the area of Lawrenceville toward Dacula side. We love the elementary school. Freeman's Mill Elementary School ranks very high in Gwinnett. There are also lots of private schools in the area. We have many excellent churches around here also. Hebron Baptist Church on Fence Rd in Dacula has a very good pastor, Larry Wynn. Crossroads Community Church on Hwy 20 has a non traditional church service that is very uplifting. We have noticed the community is becoming very diverse. Just the other week we had dinner with neighbors, they were from Germany, Scottland, England and a few Americans. It was very enjoyable. Keep an open mind and ask God for guidance, wisdom and discernment on the best place for your family to move to.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 31,155 times
Lawrenceville is a nice place to live. I have lived here for the past 7 years and started a family here. We'll be moving to NE Arkansas in the next few months and I fear NE AR won't have the diversity that Gwinnett County has. That, in my opinion, is one of the best things about living in Gwinnett County. The only thing that isn't as diverse as other large populated places in America is the religion. Most people here appear to be Southern Baptist or some form of Evangelical faith. I find myself to have been a minority being a moderate protestant (Episcolpalian). But in saying that, I have never been discriminated against or felt I was a lesser person because I wasn't one of the masses.
I think the Hamilton Mill area (Buford city limits) and anywhere that is Northeast Gwinnett County are the best areas to live. All the schools in that area are great. Norcross and Lilburn have become too crime riddden and the quality of life has declined in recent years.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,081 times
I would recommend Dacula or Buford over L'Ville.....As for schools for your children I would recommend the Mill Creek Cluster!
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2007 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,601 times
Too dark around peachtree city, lighter around lawrenceville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta